Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Do you think comics should be shown in museums?

Comics are an art form, but you barely see them in museums (that aren't specific for comics) Why do you think this is it? The only comic centric exhibition I've seen was Maus at the Jewish Museum, other than that, nothing comes to mind. Have you ever seen comics in museums and if so what was your experience? Also, do you think if there were more comics shown in museums would you go more?

Incredible Member

Most mass produced art isn't usually a stand alone attraction at a museum. Reproductions or giant blow ups of art aren't really what people are going to see at art museums. Plus cartooning and comic book art is a very specific form. Most art museums are grouping by categories - style, genre, artist, etc. You'd have to have a whole exhibit dedicated to this particular form.

If a museum had enough original artwork in comics form that was significant in some way - key cover art, interior art from key issues, or some kind of spectacular or influential artist (Ross, Steranko, Kirby, Wood, etc.) - they might display it. The other thing is that most original artwork is going to be pencils only or pencils and ink. I don't believe colors were or are applied to the original art. So because of that, some people might be surprised or put off, or view it as an incomplete piece without the colors that were in the final consumer version. And now so much is produced digitally, especially inking and colors, and I'm not sure many museums display digital art at all.

I've been to the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco, and as the name implies, it's largely cartoon/strip based art with some alt comix displays. There was only a small amount of comic book art. When I was there, they had a temporary/rotating exhibit about Erik Larsen and/or early Image art. I just remember a bunch of Savage Dragon artwork. I've never been, but I believe the de Young Museum in San Francisco hosted some kind of temporary comic book related exhibit at one time. Charles Schulz has his own museum in northern California too.

I would definitely attend an exhibit that showcases sequential art. I would love to see original pages of artwork in its penciled form and then maybe different displays showing its eventual final form. Things from original pitches and sketches would interest me a great deal.

Unfortunately, I think most of the newer books would only have scripts and emails that would read like lots of back matter these days. But key issues and artwork displayed in a museum setting would definitely warrant a visit. I wouldn't go to a museum specifically for this unless it's in a city I'm in or visiting. I would make time to visit Cooperstown if I was near there, but I wouldn't book a hotel just for that museum.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Why not.

Pop art is in the a valid form of art, and that's barely any different than comic art. Roy Lichtenstein art is celebrates and it's just what other would dismiss as a 'comic'

But short answer, yes some comics should be in a museum especially things like the #1s that actually matter.

Well, there used to be a Comic Art Museum in North Hampton, Mass. I think Kevin Eastman owned it. First in a little Shack on a side street and later in a townhouse he bought on the main drag. I visited about 6 times, back in the 1990s. Unfortunately it went under. That was pretty sad. There was a large sculpture of a scorpion-like demon on the roof.

They had a nice little comic convention too. Strictly small town, usually one day affair. At the hotel across the street. Several nice restaurants (the hottest Indian food I ever had....and I try 'em all) and several used book stores in the area. Also, Smith College and their small but, fabulously diverse art collection. A little of everything.

Also, a few years ago, at the Jewish Museum, in New York City, I attended a very nice comic book art show with an incredible group of, old and newer art. Some on a scale I never imagined to see in private hands. Like Golden Age covers I wouldn't have dreamed still existed. I used to follow the comic art scene very closely so, I was surprised by pieces I had never seen. Always nice. Glad they are still around.

I go to museums regardless of the exhibit. It is one of my guilty pleasures.

I would definitely like to see a Comics World museum at some point. One that not only cover comic art from all over the world, but the history behind it and all sort of related items (trinkets and collectibles). I have thought about creating one myself at some point in my life so time will tell. Surely,it would be fun.
    Last edited by JP Sarri; 04-08-2015 at 03:17 AM.
    "I'm not seeking penance for what I've done, Father. I'm asking for forgiveness... for what I'm about to do." -Matt Murdock

Click a link below and follow me ->
    YouTube Facebook Twitter Instagram photobucket MoviePilot

Spectacular Member marvelmaniac6169's Avatar

Smithsonian's National Museum of American History has Comic Books and Comic Strips

Amazing Member

I live in Brussels and we have a comics museum here.
    Ok... more like a "bande dessinee" museum but they have a "original art room" which shows original art and every now and then and i've seen some Eisner and Romita Sr pages there.

Last year there was also a comicbook exhibit in Paris with original pages from the greatest marvel comic books and covers it was quite successful (The exhibit stayed longer than initially intended) so there is definitely a public for it

BANNED

There are comic book museums! I've been to one in Belgium, one in San Fran and the British Library had an exhibit on British comics and writers last year that was great.
    It had stuff from Grant Morrison, Alan Davis, Neil Gaiman, Mark Millar etc

I saw a fantastic exhibition in Paris a few years ago about the art of Art Spiegelman. It focused on Maus and lots of his other comix work too. I don't think it was out of place.

Probably original pages could be argued for being in museums like if there was still an original penicils to the likes of Amazing Fantasy 15, Action Comics 1 , Detective Comics 27 etc

Amazing Member

The Library of Congress has the complete original art to Amazing Fantasy 15, which was donated by an anonymous collector a few years back.
    Many comic artists donate their work to their college to display in the library or a museum. Jeff Smith, creator of Bone, donates ALL of his original, published artwork to The Ohio State University, where he went to school.
    Here in West Virginia, about four years ago, there was a month-long exhibit of original art that was amazing. It had Eisner, Miller, Crumb and many others, and longtime comic book writer Beau Smith, himself a native there, loaned them a lot of his original art. It was a great exhibit and filled several rooms and a hallway.
    More and more comic book artwork is finding its way into museums. It is an American artform and more museums are doing comic art exhibits.
    I do think copies of Action Comics 1 will eventually be displayed in museums.
    Most comic book readers and collectors don't know anything at all about comic book artwork or how the comics they love are created. They think everything is done in color and most don't really ever understand that an artist actually pencils the work, most of the time there is an inker who inks the pencils and then it's lettered all on one sheet of paper. The colors happen later on a xerox copy of the art that is shrunk down and the color artist uses markers or paints to create a guide that is then used to color the printed page. Somewhere in there, the editor has a look at the page and corrections are made, which can be seen on many comic art pages.
    Comic art is growing in popularity. There have been pages and covers sell for half a million dollars, which is more than some Frazettas sell for.
    I have paid up to $20,000 per cover. I have friends who have paid multiples of that for that one, special cover or page that they feel like they cannot live without. It is a legitimate art form that more and more people are getting into.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sousa View Post
    Probably original pages could be argued for being in museums like if there was still an original penicils to the likes of Amazing Fantasy 15, Action Comics 1 , Detective Comics 27 etc
    Maybe not Action 1 and Detective 27, but more art from key issues exists than what you might imagine.

All-New Member

How do you think the comics should be selected? based on their historical or popular influence? also, what would be the best way to view them, in a glass case like other art at museums?

I think comics should be allowed in museums; covers and some inside pages alike, especially Jack Kirby's work. Mueums should take advantage of the superhero film explosion that is bursting through box office banks right now. The imbecilic culture we have now results in a turd like Fantastic Four movie (2005) bringing in $155 mil, but the same adults that paid to see that calamity giving me weird looks (I'm 45 yrs old) if they see me read a comic book on a bus or train - apparently I'm too old for comic books! Comics in museums may reduce that type of illogical behavior - I hope...