Thread: The end of CSI?

Default The end of CSI?

The series has gone on for a decade and a half, spawned three spin-offs (Two of which-Miami and NY were cancelled, with a third just recently started-Cyber) and of course several copycats, some better than others (With the less gory, more lighthearted NCIS franchise currently being popular). Like with many long-running series, the cast has fluctuated, with I think only Jorja Fox(Sara) and Eric Szamda(Greg) really sticking around, and with the show's original leads (William Peterson and Marg Helgenberger) having left a while back, with George Eads(Nick) and Paul Gouliffye (Brass) also having left more recently. Laurence Fishburne did a few seasons but those soon became tiresome with the character basically a pseudo-Dexter and too much of Bill Irwin hamming it up as his nemesis. They tried to bring some fun back to the show with Ted Danson and Elisabeth Shue as the new leads, but the ratings have declined drastically lately. So is it time to put the franchise (with the possible exception of Cyber, which might continue) to bed?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The series has gone on for a decade and a half, spawned three spin-offs (Two of which-Miami and NY were cancelled, with a third just recently started-Cyber) and of course several copycats, some better than others (With the less gory, more lighthearted NCIS franchise currently being popular). Like with many long-running series, the cast has fluctuated, with I think only Jorja Fox(Sara) and Eric Szamda(Greg) really sticking around, and with the show's original leads (William Peterson and Marg Helgenberger) having left a while back, with George Eads(Nick) and Paul Gouliffye (Brass) also having left more recently. Laurence Fishburne did a few seasons but those soon became tiresome with the character basically a pseudo-Dexter and too much of Bill Irwin hamming it up as his nemesis. They tried to bring some fun back to the show with Ted Danson and Elisabeth Shue as the new leads, but the ratings have declined drastically lately. So is it time to put the franchise (with the possible exception of Cyber, which might continue) to bed?
    The rating have gone done but they are still in the very successful range, Why kill a the goose that is still laying golden eggs just becasue the eggs are a bit smaller

Calling NCIS popular is like ceiling the pacific ocean a bit wet

Ultimate Member

Are there any of the originals left at all...Sarah I guess but the character's have never been the focus of the show...I don't think that most people would mind if the show got cancelled, NCIS on the other hand has at least one more season, the 13th season...and probably more...

I always hated Marg Helgenberger's character, her daughter only seemed to exist to cause her problems or to get into the trouble of the week and she seemed on a crusade to blame every man that she could find everytime that a child was the one that was killed or whatever...

BANNED

As long as enough people continue to watch it that the network can make money selling ad time on it, it's not going anywhere.

Ressurecting this thread-some sites are reporting that the original CSI will not be renewed, although the spinoff CSI Cyber has been renewed:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/12/showbi...ows/index.html

However there might be a TV movie to resolve the last storyline.

Ultimate Member

For the record NCIS isn't a copycat and didn't come from CSI, it came from a few episodes of JAG all those years ago. Honestly I won't miss CSI if it's gone but yeah a movie to wrap things up would be nice...

I've been a CSI fan for almost 11 years, started watching when I was 11, so this thread makes me smile knowing that other people still care about the show. It has one of the most dedicated fanbases I've ever seen, although it doesn't get as much notoriety as it used to, which is a shame because it deserves it. It's been through a myriad of changes but has kept on keeping on, and there's many glimpses each season of the sort of writing, camera work, and stories it became so well-known for.

What I'm trying to say, basically, is that I love CSI and always will. So it's hard for me to see it go. And yes, this is the end. It has been announced that there will be a two hour TV movie airing to tie up the loose ends from the last season, and they're trying to get William Petersen, who played Grissom, back for the send-off.

As for remaining original cast members-- Jorja Fox (Sara Sidle) left in the middle of season 8, returning as a part-time part of the cast in season 10. She has been back as a full-time cast member since season 11. Gary Dourdan was fired and left in season 9. William Petersen left in the middle of season 9. Laurence Fishburne came in for a bit and left at the end of season 11. Marg Helgenberger (Catherine Willows) left in the 12th season, with Ted Danson (D.B. Russell) coming in. George Eads (Nick Stokes) left at the end of last season (the 15th). Paul Guilfoyle (Jim Brass) left at the end of the 14th season. Eric Szmanda (Greg Sanders) is the only original cast member who has not left or taken a hiatus. The other newer members of the cast include Elisabeth Shue (Julie Finlay) and Elisabeth Harnois (Morgan Brody).

I'm not lying when I say I'm like a walking and talking encyclopedia of CSI knowledge, so if there's any other questions, feel free to ask
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender