Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I've gone full digital, and I have few regrets. I miss having an actual book in my hands, but space is a more important commodity than the benefit of having a physical book.

There is one perturbing feature of Comixology, though, that could so easily be fixed but won't. Comixology will not save downloaded books to your SD card (though obviously if you're an Apple user, this doesn't apply). I always like to have a few extra gigs of storage available on my phones HDD, but if I am going on a long flight and want to have a collection of books available to read, I can't just rely on all the storage space on my SD card. What a bother. I mean, I get why it's that way, but it's still a bit irritating that you have to shuffle around files or delete and re-download books.

Retired

The world of the future is going to need more eye doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The world of the future is going to need more eye doctors.
    And neck docs, too, based on the bad posture most people use when viewing their smarty phones.

My advice is make sure you figure out how to use all the zoom features on your Comixology app. Comixology has a guided view, so if you're viewing on a small screen, you can zoom into specific aspects of the panel, and then swipe the screen to move the reader to the next logical part of the page to read so that you don't have to squint to read tiny text. I have a 5.5" screen on my Galaxy Note II, and I feel the guided view version is rarely, if ever, too small to read the text or appreciate the art.

Welcome to the club, manofsteel1979.

I went all digital with the launch of the New 52, and I'm very happy with the decision. I'm still a collector when it comes to many of things (and I still have a bookcase of my old trades), but with comics, I just want to experience the story and I don't need to have a pile of physical books.

I buy through Comixology and read on my ipad, and sometimes on my ipod, if I'm on the go, so I download everything I want to read onto those devices. I was also getting a few books from Dark Horse, but their reader isn't nearly as nice as Comixology's -- I gotta have guided view.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    Welcome to the club, manofsteel1979.

I went all digital with the launch of the New 52, and I'm very happy with the decision. I'm still a collector when it comes to many of things (and I still have a bookcase of my old trades), but with comics, I just want to experience the story and I don't need to have a pile of physical books.

I buy through Comixology and read on my ipad, and sometimes on my ipod, if I'm on the go, so I download everything I want to read onto those devices. I was also getting a few books from Dark Horse, but their reader isn't nearly as nice as Comixology's -- I gotta have guided view.
    Yeah...I love me some guided view. If done correctly, it can lend an urgency to the action.

I like zooming in and studying the artwork!

Spectacular Member

I went all digital in 2011 after collecting Superman comics religiously since The Crisis.
    I have not regretted it in the least. I actually prefer it this way. Good luck!

I went digital with the New 52 launch too. I don't regret it in the slightest. I'm hoping DC will cave soon and let us download the comics from Comixology permanently. I'm sure it will happen eventually.

I went digital about a month ago.

It's vey good, but I'd certainly argue that you "need" right screen size to get a good experience...in my view i pad mini is just a bit too small, never mind a phone. On other hand...I think on i pad air viewing experience is as good as (at least) as a physical comic.

Agree with others that biggest issue is having "secure ownership".... anybody who stays with the hobby for a couple of decades on longer will inevitably build up a very substantial spend on comics. There really shouldn't be a risk of all that "value" disappearing if your digital supplier goes bust. Also eventually there will be issues around whether you can leave your "library" to friends and/or family.

But having said that...we all know there are risks around physical storage of comics.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It's vey good, but I'd certainly argue that you "need" right screen size to get a good experience...in my view i pad mini is just a bit too small, never mind a phone. On other hand...I think on i pad air viewing experience is as good as (at least) as a physical comic.
    Yeah, there are rumors that the next iPad will be a 12/13 inch. It would be perfect for comics. I plan on buying it for Comixology alone. Hopefully it'll be out sometime this year.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    So via amazon can you actually download the files to your laptop for DC stuff? My only dislike with comixology is I can't download the books to read off line. I know I can on my android phone...but it's so slow and buggy to download.
    What are you reading them on? I can download all the DC books I want onto my iPad. You don't get a free digital back up like some publishers, but you can still read them offline.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    What are you reading them on? I can download all the DC books I want onto my iPad. You don't get a free digital back up like some publishers, but you can still read them offline.
    Yeah that is true. I'm not sure people realize that. If they are just reading from their laptops or computers, then they are forced to go online. But if you have a tablet or phone, you can download as much as you can fit on your device.

Im half in, half out of digital. I still buy the comics that I really love (like Action, Invincible, Ms. Marvel) in print, but the rest of the books I read are in digital. And Im about to put more titles on the digital side of things post-Convergence and Secret Wars. If it weren't for my wife's determination to stick with floppies and my sense of LCS loyalty (been a regular there for over a decade) I wouldn't touch print again. I long ago got tired of storage space concerns, and found that I read my digital copies a lot more. Im currently re-reading the entire Hickman Avengers run and have read Soule's Red Lanterns several times over, but I couldnt even tell you what boxes my Snyder Batman issues are in.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Im half in, half out of digital. I still buy the comics that I really love (like Action, Invincible, Ms. Marvel) in print, but the rest of the books I read are in digital. And Im about to put more titles on the digital side of things post-Convergence and Secret Wars. If it weren't for my wife's determination to stick with floppies and my sense of LCS loyalty (been a regular there for over a decade) I wouldn't touch print again. I long ago got tired of storage space concerns, and found that I read my digital copies a lot more. Im currently re-reading the entire Hickman Avengers run and have read Soule's Red Lanterns several times over, but I couldnt even tell you what boxes my Snyder Batman issues are in.
    Yeah, odds are if my old LCS was open still, I wouldn't even think of going Digital. They were always loyal to me, so I returned the favor. I COULD go mail order with floppies, but I'm going to try all digital for at least 6 months. If I get to the end of that and find I can't live without my physical copies of SUPERMAN and ACTION,I can always catch up pretty quickly via mail order. I have an unbroken run of SUPERMAN and ACTION going back to 1984, so this is a big step.My suspicion is I may end up at some point still getting ACTION and SUPERMAN in floppy form and everything else digital. We will see. I like the convenience of on release day, as soon as I get up, running to comixology and reading the books. It was great to do that the last two weeks with CONVERGENCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I read them on my laptop primarily...as I am too poor for an ipad atm. I'm seriously thinking of selling a part of my non DC collection to get one JUST for comics. We will see. Again the issue is even on an ipad or android device, I can't back them up on my hard drive to archive. I'd buy a hard drive just to be my new "long box".

What I have been doing of late is download cbz. files from....other sources of the books I buy. Technically it's pirating I know, but I don't download stuff I haven't bought legitimately before, either print or digital. It's more of a bother than anything and I wish DC offered .cbz files for an extra fee. 50 cents to a dollar an issue would be justified and make a lot of extra pure profit coin. I understand they want to keep a lid on piracy, but as long as they print paper comics, and page by page document scanners exist, they run that risk anyway.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-11-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I read them on my laptop primarily...as I am too poor for an ipad atm. I'm seriously thinking of selling a part of my non DC collection to get one JUST for comics. We will see. Again the issue is even on an ipad or android device, I can't back them up on my hard drive to archive. I'd buy a hard drive just to be my new "long box".

What I have been doing of late is download cbz. files from....other sources of the books I buy. Technically it's pirating I know, but I don't download stuff I haven't bought legitimately before, either print or digital. It's more of a bother than anything and I wish DC offered .cbz files for an extra fee. 50 cents to a dollar an issue would be justified and make a lot of extra pure profit coin. I understand they want to keep a lid on piracy, but as long as they print paper comics, and page by page document scanners exist, they run that risk anyway.
    Dont most publishers other than the Big 2 already provide backups in one form or another, such as pdf files you can save straight to your computer anyway?

Seems to me if DC wanted to keep a lid on piracy they'd offer such a service. Most people will pay a reasonable price for a thing, especially if its something they enjoy and want to support, and those who want to do it illegally are going to do it regardless of price or convenience anyway.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the digital format man. I do, despite the slight concern that I might lose my downloads at some point. But then, I've lost floppies too over the years for one reason or another, and I dont see digital as being much different.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.