Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Convergence, #1

"Convergence" #1 looks great with art from Carlo Pagulayan and Jason Paz, but Jeff King and Scott Lobdell's story is a dull (if presumably necessary) setup for the rest of the miniseries to kick off.

Full review here.

Pretty much agree with this review, yeah. Not a lot here that we didn't learn in issue #0; this is all about the Earth 2 survivors learning what's going on so the readers essentially have to sit through the explanation again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Two issues of bland exposition. Meh.

And the cheesy dialogue! "Flashpoint of a time that never was or of Kingdoms that never will Come..." What the??
    Last edited by ShaggyB; 04-09-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: language

Extraordinary Member

I probably enjoyed this for a lot of the reasons some people will not. Old school exposition and corny dialogue really make a comic for me. The first of the domed/doomed cities was interesting to see and I appreciated the scene with what are likely the main protagonists because I am not that familiar with them and the writer did a good job setting up the dynamic. I did not feel there was much overlap with the #0 issue so I am glad I did pick that up.

So far, looks like the elseworlds cities are all dispensable and it is very bloody.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Other than the obvious KINGDOM COME Superman, Soviet Superman, and DC ONE MILLION Superman, who were the other somewhat generic Supermen on that final page?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I probably enjoyed this for a lot of the reasons some people will not. Old school exposition and corny dialogue really make a comic for me.
    Yeah, that's me as well. I found this to be very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to the next issue.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Amazing Member

So was the Superman on the first page with Gotham being destroyed Injustice Superman? The costume looked familiar, but I couldn't tell for sure.

The Injustice city was the first to go down. Lots of supermen in convergence : pre flashpoint superman, zero hour superman, earth 1 superman, earth 2 superman, futures end 35 years later superman, vampire superman, earth 3 ultraman, superman red, superman blue, superboy (legion), new 52 superman, etc.
    Last edited by colonyofcells; 04-08-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Fantastic Member

Wait, wait. DC's big event is being written by Scott Lobdell?

The guy from here and here?

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

The writing style, from the pacing to the dialogue (very apparent in the Injustice opener and Telos' speech), does seem to have an old fashioned feel to it. For better or for worse...
    Last edited by Hilden B. Lade; 04-08-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I've loved everything about Convergence so far. Yes, it has an old school feel to it , from the dialogue to the paneling - it's supposed to

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I've loved everything about Convergence so far. Yes, it has an old school feel to it , from the dialogue to the paneling - it's supposed to
    Exactly. I don't understand the complaints about that to be honest. To me this story is sort of like a journey into the past of the DCU so I like that it feels old school.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Spectacular Member

I really liked both issues of convergence so far. The 0 issue nicely set up the reason why this is happening with Telos realizing Brainiac isn't coming back and issue 1 moved the story forward with him taking the Earth 2 survivors as some sort of sign that now was the time to drop the domes. I'm not very familiar with the Earth 2 heroes so the openning dialogue was nice and introduced me to them and then actually trying to talk to Telos instead of just attacking him off the bat I thought was good set up. I think the important thing to remember about all of this is these stories are meant as a final hurrah for past continuity and meant to just be fun. It's filling space for the move out west by DC so if you're reading this expecting some game changing finale I think you're misleading yourself as to what the purpose of the story is. I'm excited for the next issue and to see where the Earth 2 heroes go. I had read the first few issues of the series at the start of the new 52 and pulled out of it and so far convergence is making me interested to follow up with them in the society book.

Liked it! Off to a good start I would say. Really cant wait until next week.