Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Saga, #27

"Saga" #27 may be a bad drug trip but, thanks to Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples, it's a good journey through Marko's past and the events that turned him into the man he is today.

Full review here.

I agree with what seems to be the consensus that this issue was a big improvement over the last two in this arc. I think BKV does a good job at taking story elements that are kind of cliche (ex: characters dealing with abuse or trauma from their pasts) but making them feel genuine and meaningful all the same. By dropping all these brief notes about Marko's code of nonviolence over the course of the series, it made the flashbacks here have a lot more power and significance. Also seeing that Marko fought alongside that snake-like dude from the Revolution gives the current arc a bit more weight too. I'm starting to get a little tired of the first-page-is-some-shocking-sexual-scene device (it feels like they do it every issue now), but at least even those are done well and serve the characters.

Good issue, memorable and definitely a return to form as I thought 25 was a bit underwhelming and 26 was IMO the weakest issue of the series to date.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman