Thread: Spider-Woman #6

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Spider-Woman #6

An advantage of waiting until the next day to start a discussion thread about an issue is that it's easier to find bloggers who have already covered the material.

Nina Perez of Project Fandom really liked the issue.
    http://projectfandom.com/spider-woman-no-6-review/

jaythreadbear doesn't care for the characterization of the lead, but thinks the concept of the story is pretty good.
    https://jaythreadbear.wordpress.com/...pider-woman-6/

I like the art, Jessica's personality and the central mystery, but this isn't that satisfying as a single issue. Main problem is the set-up to a cliffhanger that isn't that dramatic, and that was kind of obvious a few pages earlier.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Yeah I think the issue was alright. I liked the prior issue better but there's just nothing that just pops out to me in this one. Hopeless is on point with dialogue and Rodriguez's art is good but this issue felt borderline filler for me.

I'm still digging it.

spoilers:
    Just please don't let Felicia be behind this.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I actually liked the issue far more than the first four. I realize Hopeless was working within confines of a story that wasn't exactly his choice and had to hit certain beats for the greater story, but this issue really picked up for me. (Diamond decided my LCS didn't need any copies of issue 5, so I still haven't been able to find a copy of it yet.)
    I liked Jessica's personality and over all attitude here. Felt more like her old series. The art is ok for me. I'm not wowed by this style, but it's certainly not a deal breaker for me either. It just is.

Even though her personality was more like her old series, it still doesn't hit me like a Jessica Drew, Spider Woman book. Might be her driving around on a motorcycle instead of gliding more...not quite sure. But I'm in.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I actually liked the issue far more than the first four. I realize Hopeless was working within confines of a story that wasn't exactly his choice and had to hit certain beats for the greater story,
    I feel the spiderverse arc was a perfect bridge from her avengers career to her solo career,plus all the great tie ins like Steve Rogers and Carol Danvers, if anything I felt sadden when she switched costumes. Hopeless probably enjoyed Bendis Avengers and the current stuff. I'm still mixed on the new direction, Ben Urich wouldn't be my first pick as a supporting character, I also find the detective angle a bit aimless, hopefully we'll see some villains and fights to give Jessica some defining moments in this run.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kkkk View Post
    I feel the spiderverse arc was a perfect bridge from her avengers career to her solo career,plus all the great tie ins like Steve Rogers and Carol Danvers, if anything I felt sadden when she switched costumes. Hopeless probably enjoyed Bendis Avengers and the current stuff. I'm still mixed on the new direction, Ben Urich wouldn't be my first pick as a supporting character, I also find the detective angle a bit aimless, hopefully we'll see some villains and fights to give Jessica some defining moments in this run.
    I did like issue 4 quite a bit and while I didn't mind the Spider Verse story I felt it was only ok, I wouldn't have necessarily started the series off with it (but understand the reason it was done...probably attracted far more buyers than if they just started her off.)
    I'm happy for just about any Jess Drew Spider Woman series. She is one of my top comic book characters, probably top five.

I'm not really feeling Jessica's voice since the change in direction. For someone who has been a hero and agent of both SHIELD and SWORD for quite a while, she seems to act in ways that just feel rookie and incompetent, especially for a case like this. It just doesn't feel quite like Jessica. I'll give it to the end of the arc to wow me, but as it is now, I'll probably drop the book after that.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 04-09-2015 at 02:51 PM.

This is rapidly becoming one of my favourite titles. The layout work alone is phenomenal. The visual storytelling is superb, the colouring is some of the best in the business. I know the new look is controversial but to my eyes this issue is a new high point for Jessica's character design, and I was loving the look in the previous issue.

I guess all of my praise is visual. Nothing negative to say about the story, it is interesting and engaging. It's not why I am loving this book.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-10-2015 at 12:18 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.