Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default East of West Appreciation

WolfAndCrow.jpg

Here's a new thread to discuss all things related to Hickman & Dragotta's incredible Image comic East of West

Hope to see some familiar folks in here and many more.

If you have important resources that might help readers, newcomers or anybody interested in learning more about East of West please post them here.

This is the first Hickman book I was able to start picking up from the start and I've been loving it.
    Has anyone heard how long this is planned to run? It going well now, but would hate to see it get to dragging just to continue. If that makes sense.

BANNED

I dont know a certain symmetry if ends on 66 though. Its obviously not going to 666.

LOL..well no. It's a story that would like to continue for a long while, but it's also one that seems like it could be pretty finite.

Checking into the new East of West thread. Got caught up on the series with the Eisner nominee comiXology sale. Read the first two trades in an afternoon. I'm completely blown away by this series and consider it my current favorite ongoing.

All-New Member

East of West is a series that unironically uses the words "final form" (here) and it is wonderful.

I picked it up at the suggestion of a buddy of mine; took reading issue 2 for me to be HOOKED. I love this series and characters. I feel that it is well written and kinda unique. I do have to agree with previous statements that this comic will have a final ending after so many issues. That being said, I don't really care. I love everything about this series so far. Love the art. I can't wait to read each issue as they come out.

I dropped off this series at issue 8. Nothing bad about it per se, but I just felt it was taking a while to get where I wanted it to go, and with Hickman's Avengers books on my pull, I thought I should give another creator a shot. Thinking about picking it up again digitally - who has been the focus of the last couple issues?
    Current top 5: She-Hulk, Daredevil, Velvet, Lazarus, Adventures of Superman

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Hickman has stated that the main story would probably last 30 issues but the entire run will last longer, altough not more than 50. Also, just reread the trades, I really want this book to be collected in big sturdy hardcovers with lits of art extra's
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Picked up the first 11 issues in the Eisner sale. Five issues in, really digging it.
    The genre mash up works really well.

Awesome to see so many EoW fans in here!
    To me, there isn't a more essential ongoing in Indy comics. What Hickman & Dragotta are doing is something that has been needed for quite sometime. To dig into the languishing landscape of apocalyptic comic literature and grasp fresh tendrils of life is revelatory. I for one, have grown weary of art that sets out to accomplish nothing, that reiterates an isolating listlessness that heaps an already heavy overburdened sense of helpless upon the individual. It was needed for a time, I suppose. I clarion call and a soul's lament at the state of the world and the lack of meaningful means for changing things - a lack of substantial vision that could infuse true hope in the face so much 'knowing' how bad things are and continue to be.

Hickman & Dragotta aren't shying away from the darkness...they give it depth...they give it life...and they give it purpose. White Death with his Split-Shadow (Crow and Wolf) - are flipping the scenario...they have broken from the fated 'message' of the horsemen...and that LOVE is the force compelling the defiance...is beautiful.

It's not a book that can easily be read issue to issue and thankfully the trades have been released with dutiful speed. Yet, it's also not easy to put down the trades. This story moves with the pacing of a novel but once your in the flow there's a sense of losing the shore...once you get in and swim out a ways...you find yourself in a vastness that draws you in and out...so you read on and re-read and read out of the panels into the possibilities that beckon from every perspective.

Is there a character or group of characters that speaks to you above the others?
    Who do you see as your hero and you who do you see as your adversary?

Is East of West a story of the End of Days or is it something different?

Have you had any 'Revelations' from you reading?

Attachment 562

When God tried to chop Crow in two
    He made woman
    When God said: 'You win, Crow,'
    He made the Redeemer.

poet; Ted Hughes from his collection "Crow"
    Last edited by sungila; 05-02-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Awesome to see so many EoW fans in here!
    To me, there isn't a more essential ongoing in Indy comics. What Hickman & Dragotta are doing is something that has been needed for quite sometime. To dig into the languishing landscape of apocalyptic comic literature and grasp fresh tendrils of life is revelatory. I for one, have grown weary of art that sets out to accomplish nothing, that reiterates an isolating listlessness that heaps an already heavy overburdened sense of helpless upon the individual. It was needed for a time, I suppose. I clarion call and a soul's lament at the state of the world and the lack of meaningful means for changing things - a lack of substantial vision that could infuse true hope in the face so much 'knowing' how bad things are and continue to be.

Hickman & Dragotta aren't shying away from the darkness...they give it depth...they give it life...and they give it purpose. White Death with his Black Shadows (Crow and Wolf) - are flipping the scenario...they have broken from the fated 'message' of the horsemen...and that LOVE is the force compelling the defiance...is beautiful.

It's not a book that can easily be read issue to issue and thankfully the trades have been released with dutiful speed. Yet, it's also not easy to put down the trades. This story moves with the pacing of a novel but once your in the flow there's a sense of losing the shore...once you get in and swim out a ways...you find yourself in a vastness that draws you in and out...so you read on and re-read and read out of the panels into the possibilities that beckon from every perspective.

Is there a character or group of characters that speaks to you above the others?
    Who do you see as your hero and you who do you see as your adversary?

Is East of West a story of the End of Days or is it something different?

Have you had any 'Revelations' from you reading?

Attachment 562

When God tried to chop Crow in two
    He made woman
    When God said: 'You win, Crow,'
    He made the Redeemer.

poet; Ted Hughes from his collection "Crow"
    Ok, now I'm kinda scared to check out this series.

BANNED

Wanted to check in and proclaim my love for East of West. I re-read all of my issues and it reads much better that way with all of the moving parts that are going on. Even the last issue,which was basically just a set up issue, was great. The dialogue and art are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by daningotham View Post
    Ok, now I'm kinda scared to check out this series.
    :rolleyes: No, it's not your 'typical' super-hero comic. It's a challenging and rewarding read. Lots of room for different interpretations and plenty of room for various levels of appreciation. Hope you'll get over your fear and give it a shot.

I'm still on the second trade, but so far it's wonderful!
    X-23|ROGUE|EMMA FROST|ARCHANGEL|RAT QUEENS|WONDER WOMAN|OYA|PIXIE|THOR|STORM