Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Does this book come out reguarly?

I have tried to get into non big 2 comics before. But the... inconsistency of publishing threw me off and I would just find myself becoming disinterested.

Is it best ot just read it all at once rather than depend on it coming out each month?

So far, at least, the publication schedule for East of West has been exceptionally regular: monthly issues with single-month breaks for TPB releases in lieu of a new issue. If reliability of release is your only concern, you shouldn't have a problem keeping up.

However, the decision about whether or not you read the title monthly or in collected editions may also depend on how you prefer to enjoy very long-form storytelling. As I mentioned a few times on the old forum, Hickman's strategy for East of West has been largely mosaic. The series is geographically expansive with a kaleidoscope of characters. Each issue is a layered, rich glimpse into a small piece of this world, but the story depends on the cumulative effect of the issues to make sense of the large-scale apocalypse. It's not particularly linear, though it is more or less chronological. It also expects readers to recall details and dialogue from earlier issues, some months prior, to appreciate the intricacy of Hickman's world-building. Personally, I enjoy savoring each issue on its own, since every one is rich enough in style and substance to warrant close scrutiny and consideration and to reward anticipation and prediction. If, however, you tend to be impatient with what sometimes seems to be leisurely and scattered storytelling, you might prefer reading it in collected editions.

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    I'm with you RoguishGurl...it's tempting to buy the floppies (especially with Crow, my favorite, gracing #11's cover)...but I'm hooked on reading the book in chapter installments.
    Bad news is, I'm sort of in the same situation with Rat Queens; having discovered the title when the first trade was coming out (but I'm already breaking down...because it's been way too long and I think it's just necessary to by the next issue)
    I have faith that we can be strong.
    Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    So far, at least, the publication schedule for East of West has been exceptionally regular: monthly issues with single-month breaks for TPB releases in lieu of a new issue. If reliability of release is your only concern, you shouldn't have a problem keeping up.

However, the decision about whether or not you read the title monthly or in collected editions may also depend on how you prefer to enjoy very long-form storytelling. As I mentioned a few times on the old forum, Hickman's strategy for East of West has been largely mosaic. The series is geographically expansive with a kaleidoscope of characters. Each issue is a layered, rich glimpse into a small piece of this world, but the story depends on the cumulative effect of the issues to make sense of the large-scale apocalypse. It's not particularly linear, though it is more or less chronological. It also expects readers to recall details and dialogue from earlier issues, some months prior, to appreciate the intricacy of Hickman's world-building. Personally, I enjoy savoring each issue on its own, since every one is rich enough in style and substance to warrant close scrutiny and consideration and to reward anticipation and prediction. If, however, you tend to be impatient with what sometimes seems to be leisurely and scattered storytelling, you might prefer reading it in collected editions.
    I think that might be why I enjoy it as trades. I do love Hickman's writing, but I found that I couldn't stick with the single issues with his Marvel work, but I am waiting to go back and reading those as trades.

I'm just horribly impatient. lol.
    X-23|ROGUE|EMMA FROST|ARCHANGEL|RAT QUEENS|WONDER WOMAN|OYA|PIXIE|THOR|STORM

I've been on this ride since it started. Great series. How can you go wrong with a post-apocalyptic sci-fi western centered around the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

BANNED

A few months ago I purchased the first TPB and sat back and read it 2 times.
    I can't remember the last time I had done something like that.
    The story has me totally captivated.
    I waited for the next arc to finish and re-read TPB#1 then read #6-10.
    my favorite book today.

It's great to hear from so many fans since the site reboot. Last time around it seemed like hardly anyone was reading EoW.
    Last edited by sungila; 05-17-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

All-New Member

Been with the series since Issue 1. Picked up a third printing of the first issue shortly after the second issue released if I remember correctly. Read it and went in the next day to immediately buy the second issue. Been with the series ever since. I actually just bought a 1st printing of issue 1 signed by Hickman off Ebay like 2-3 weeks ago. I've never felt compelled to do that for a comic but this series is totally worth it. So happy to see EoW getting so much love. Absolutely masterful series that everyone should be reading.

Powered By Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    :rolleyes: No, it's not your 'typical' super-hero comic. It's a challenging and rewarding read. Lots of room for different interpretations and plenty of room for various levels of appreciation. Hope you'll get over your fear and give it a shot.
    Rolls eyes? I think the comment was a joke.

I enjoy the book, but it usually requires going back and reading previous issues to get a full grasp of what is going on. The art is amazing.
    Last edited by skyjumpermike; 05-10-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Who are you rooting for?
    Seriously, there's so many different characters a reader can make a case is worth pulling for.

Which characters or character holds your attention most? Which perspective do you lean toward?
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Love the setting and art of this book.

Astonishing Member

I dont root for a certain character. I am just excited how the story unfolds. Every character in EoW is somehow interesting...

All-New Member

Definitely my favorite book out right now. The artwork is amazing it goes from minimalist on one page to an epic battle with intricate detail on the next. Really enjoy the writing too love a good alt history especially when that alt history is mixed with sci fi and western, absolute madness. Really really look forward to this book playing out. Oh and quick question of the 7 nations he has shown us the leaders of all but the Burning Plain if I am not mistake. Is that right or did he show them all and I just missed it. I caught the map he put at the end of the first issue and have looked forward to learning more about the 7 nations but it seems like all have had minor details shown or leaked except the one titled Burning Plain on the map he gave. Any explainations or am I just overlooking this?
    Last edited by tstanfi2; 05-19-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tstanfi2 View Post
    Oh and quick question of the 7 nations he has shown us the leaders of all but the Burning Plain if I am not mistake. Is that right or did he show them all and I just missed it. I caught the map he put at the end of the first issue and have looked forward to learning more about the 7 nations but it seems like all have had minor details shown or leaked except the one titled Burning Plain on the map he gave. Any explainations or am I just overlooking this?
    My understanding is that the Burning Plain isn't one of the "nations". It has no sovereign government. It is the unpopulated and probably unclaimed territory surrounding Armistice, a secondary consequence to the geological fallout of the comet that landed there. While it is now full of plant and animal life, it all seems like relatively new growth.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by harpier View Post
    My understanding is that the Burning Plain isn't one of the "nations". It has no sovereign government. It is the unpopulated and probably unclaimed territory surrounding Armistice, a secondary consequence to the geological fallout of the comet that landed there. While it is now full of plant and animal life, it all seems like relatively new growth.
    That makes sense. So then are there only 6 nations?

I've only read the first issue of this series, and I will likely get back to it in a couple of days. It was also my first Hickman comic, who I hear is an excellent writer.

Quote Originally Posted by tstanfi2 View Post
    That makes sense. So then are there only 6 nations?
    Six "nations" + Armistice: (1) Union, led by President Antonia LeVay; (2) Confederacy, President Burkhart with Archibald Chamberlain as Chief of Staff; (3) Kingdom of New Orleans, led by John Freeman and his son of the same name as Crown Prince; (4) Armistice, with Ezra Orion as Premiere and Keeper of the Message; (5) Endless Nation, once home of now outcast Cheveyo; (6) Republic of Texas, Governor Bel Solomon; and (7) People's Republic, now governed by Death's wife Mao Xiaolian.

As far as I can tell, Armistice isn't a nation, since it doesn't seem to have much of a citizenry, even if Orion is titled a "premiere". It might perhaps be semi-analogous to the District of Columbia/U.N., because it seems to be a politically neutral territory with the added obligation of political and religious supervision and diplomacy. This is opposed to the Burning Plain, which seems to be a deadlands.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Miracles View Post
    I've only read the first issue of this series, and I will likely get back to it in a couple of days. It was also my first Hickman comic, who I hear is an excellent writer.
    Glad you enjoyed East of West. As for Hickman generally, I'd suggest investigating the critical reception of individual titles, at least at first. Some of his work is truly exceptional, including current Image series East of West (as you've just discovered) and Manhattan Projects, and much of his work is very strong, including most of his ongoing titles with Marvel. Fantastic Four and FF are among his best work for them, but I've been disappointed by his recent Avengers output and many of his limited series titles, including the high-profile (and, in my mind, bloated) Infinity run. And occasionally his stuff is just not good. Current Avatar series God is Dead, which Mike Costa just took over, is a downright disaster.

When it comes to Hickman, poke around and see what suits you most.