Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Default Atlantis Attacks.

This was the first Summer -wide cross over if i am not mistaken. I like how the format was set up with each tie-in having importance to the overall story. I also enjoyed the back stories that provided a history timeline of the earth in regards to the story. I'm thinking there is from on Battleworld to revisit this event.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    This was the first Summer -wide cross over if i am not mistaken. I like how the format was set up with each tie-in having importance to the overall story. I also enjoyed the back stories that provided a history timeline of the earth in regards to the story. I'm thinking there is from on Battleworld to revisit this event.
    Marvel seems determined to completely ignore their oceans and the civilizations in them, so I'm not too surprised Atlantis Attacks didn't show up on Battleworld. I'm not happy at all about it, but I'm not surprised.

I think Evolutionary War came out the year before. One great thing about both events, however, was that they all happened in annuals. The ongoings books weren't interrupted by the event, and you didn't have to buy them to keep up.

It's been ages since I read them, I didn't remember that about the back stories. I'm going to go dig out my omnibus and see if they are there. But I think there's a ton of potential there. Perhaps the various Brides of Set could have been in different domains?

Of course, I would want an alt-Atlantis Attacks to actually give Namor a big role and not kill him off early on.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Marvel seems determined to completely ignore their oceans and the civilizations in them, so I'm not too surprised Atlantis Attacks didn't show up on Battleworld. I'm not happy at all about it, but I'm not surprised.

I think Evolutionary War came out the year before. One great thing about both events, however, was that they all happened in annuals. The ongoings books weren't interrupted by the event, and you didn't have to buy them to keep up.

It's been ages since I read them, I didn't remember that about the back stories. I'm going to go dig out my omnibus and see if they are there. But I think there's a ton of potential there. Perhaps the various Brides of Set could have been in different domains?

Of course, I would want an alt-Atlantis Attacks to actually give Namor a big role and not kill him off early on.
    That is the one i forgot about The Evolutionary War. Yeah they were fun reads. I also agree about the annuals. I ended up starting to read books that i did not before, just from getting a taste of some characters from the Annuals. Yeah the back stories were helpful they gave a little history lesson on Set and Deviants so you got a idea of what was going on somewhat.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I saw the Omnibus in one bookstore and I'm so tempted to buy it… but that price tag. I might, just might, wait if the store does the customary sale on FCBD so I can finally get my hands on it.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Both the Atlantis Attacks and the Evolutionary War omnibuses are available for 50% off (or more!) if you check around online.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Those late 80s annuals were great. They were the kind of book you'd buy at 7-11 with a huge slurpee and then read over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by resipsaloquitur View Post
    Those late 80s annuals were great. They were the kind of book you'd buy at 7-11 with a huge slurpee and then read over and over.
    But considering I was already in my late 20s when those came out, I guess I don't have quite the same feeling. (And I was never into Slurpees . . . anything that ends with "pee" is not something I'm interested in.)

You bringing back some serious memories i remember i would ride my bike to 7-11 with my 5 dollar allowance could grab a couple of books and still had enough for a small slurpee. MEMORIES.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    You bringing back some serious memories i remember i would ride my bike to 7-11 with my 5 dollar allowance could grab a couple of books and still had enough for a small slurpee. MEMORIES.
    Mine too! Though a little earlier than the 80s annuals -- more like the Giant Size issues and the black and white horror mags. Every weekend me and my brother would ride our bikes down to the shopping center, so I had a couple of places I could hit up for comics, and I would buy a handful of comics with my allowance, and a burger and fries and a coke, at McDonalds, with the dollar mom gave us for lunch. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But considering I was already in my late 20s when those came out, I guess I don't have quite the same feeling. (And I was never into Slurpees . . . anything that ends with "pee" is not something I'm interested in.)
    Yes, but surely you did the 7-11 run back in the dark ages?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

No, really, I always thought this was a great time for annuals. Lately they're used as an extra oversized issue of a main book, or a dumping ground for stories that didn't fit in the main book. With the annuals around 1988-1991, you got 1) a main story that usualy worked on its own, but was also part of a larger story, 2) a bunch of short backup stories, and 3) a "history of the Marvel universe" type backup which again supported the main story. All in all, I really felt like those annuals gave you your money's worth.

Mine too! Though a little earlier than the 80s annuals -- more like the Giant Size issues and the black and white horror mags. Every weekend me and my brother would ride our bikes down to the shopping center, so I had a couple of places I could hit up for comics, and I would buy a handful of comics with my allowance, and a burger and fries and a coke, at McDonalds, with the dollar mom gave us for lunch. Good times!

Yeah those were the days. Good times indeed.

No, really, I always thought this was a great time for annuals. Lately they're used as an extra oversized issue of a main book, or a dumping ground for stories that didn't fit in the main book. With the annuals around 1988-1991, you got 1) a main story that usualy worked on its own, but was also part of a larger story, 2) a bunch of short backup stories, and 3) a "history of the Marvel universe" type backup which again supported the main story. All in all, I really felt like those annuals gave you your money's worth.
    Oh yeah they really were put together very well.

No. There weren't any 7-11s around where I lived. The closest one I was vaguely aware of was well beyond an easy bicycle ride. I bought my comic books primarily from a local stationary store with a good magazine section.

Yeas, I much prefered the Annuals format of events. DC went a step up with a couple of bookends for their annuals events. Marvel had Evolutionary War (my favorite at Marvel), Atlantis Attacks and that year in which each book introduced one new Marvel character, who mostly were never to be seen again. Then, they did a couple of smaller in-line contained ones. DC gave us Armaggedon 2001, Eclipso, the Darkness Within and Bloodlines (Which also introduced new characters to the DCU, most of them as "sucessful" as the new Marvel's ones). DC continued with thematic annual minus the bookends. Year One (which ties with Eclipso as my favorite DC annual event), Pulp Themed, Elseworlds and Tales of a Dead Earth among others. Those annuals were really great.

Peace

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I loved both Atlantis Attacks and Evolutionary War. I didn't mind the ones from before that where they would take 3 or 4 Annuals and tell one story either. Stuff like The Korvac Quest, Subterranean Wars, Terminus Factor, and Days of Future Present were all pretty good.

The weirdest Annual crossover had to be the Lifeform storyline though. It went from the Punisher to Daredevil to the Hulk to the Silver Surfer.
    Last edited by Zero Hunter; 04-10-2015 at 03:14 PM.