Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

So...... Anyone think Charlie cox has got the chops to play opposite the MCU actors?

Incredible Member

I would love to see Black Widow guest star in an episode or two in season 2 at least.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Got as far as 30 minutes into episode one and my attention started wandering. I quit watching at that point. That's no judgement on the quality of the show, naturally. Given how little of the series I watched, I'm in no position to make that judgement. And from the 30 minutes that I did watch, it certainly came across as being well put together and performed. But I do know it just isn't for me.

Do I think AoS is a better show? Nope. But nor do I think Daredevil is superior. Fundamentally, they're just very different shows and any preference people may have is less about the perceived quality of either show and more in line with what sort of drama (comicbook or otherwise) they might be into. And for me, that's AoS's flying cars and Cyborgs and kick-ass female characters.
    Having seen the entire series, I can completely disagree with this point. I like flying cars, cyborgs and kick-ass females as well, but a lot can be said about a clear difference in quality of how each series attempts to present its ideas.

Daredevil isn't perfect by any stretch, but it does what it sets out to do a lot better than AoS has ever done and at a more consistent level.
    Last edited by Ceebiro; 04-12-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    So...... Anyone think Charlie cox has got the chops to play opposite the MCU actors?
    100% yes. The guy nailed the role.

If Marvel wanted to go a different route, they could always put the more seasoned Daredevil in the next Spider-Man movie as a team-up, although since Daredevil's already going to be teaming up with the Defenders they might not go down that road.

I'm with everyone who wished Ben Urich stuck around. I also think they shouldn't have killed Wesley. It led to an interesting storyline for Karen, but I think there was more the writers could have done with the Kingpin's lieutenant. With Fisk in jail, Wesley could have managed the empire for him. I think Karen being forced to kill a captor would have been just as effective if it was any random Kingpin employee with a gun, because it wasn't necessarily about who she killed, but that she killed a man.

All in all, great show. Possibly the best Marvel adaptation yet. I hope this model of storytelling is the future for comic characters. Serialized storytelling does these characters justice in a way a couple of movies never will.

Spectacular Member

maybe urich just doesnt work anymore because of the changing face of the newspaper industry? i was thinking about that when he was going to start his blog. how different is it if ben can just throw up any half researched conjecture online instead of having to had proven the truth? maybe an old school journalist just doesnt work in our yellow journalism click bait modern age.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

I'm now a few minutes in episode nine. Stick was awesome in episode 7 and I loved how his complicated relationship played out with DD. The fight between mentor and protégé, youth vs. experience, was awesome to see. It's kind of sad how Stick rejected Matt's love and respect. I'm interested in seeing if Stick is working for the Hand, or the rebellious ninja's that fight that hand like he did in the comics.

Anyway, I felt really sorry for Kingpin during his origin story in episode 8. His father was such an A-hole!!! He put his family in debt, he forced his son to drink alcohol, he forced him to violently beat up his bullies, he verbally abused him for being overweighed and wanting to be a nice person, and he beat his wife. I applaud Kingpin for killing that Douche. I guess that's one of the many highlights of the show. The bad guys usually gets what's coming to them in a way they really deserve. I also found it interesting as to Kingpin's reason for keeping his fathers pins. It definitely humanizes him.

I loved the fight between the Hand Ninja and Daredevil.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Having seen the entire series, I can completely disagree with this point. I like flying cars, cyborgs and kick-ass females as well, but a lot can be said about a clear difference in quality of how each series attempts to present its ideas.

Daredevil isn't perfect by any stretch, but it does what it sets out to do a lot better than AoS has ever done and at a more consistent level.
    I think that AOS is too informed by being a Whedon production. It tries too hard to be both 'zany' and serious. If it would pick a tone and stick with it like Daredevil did, I'd like it more.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I think that AOS is too informed by being a Whedon production. It tries too hard to be both 'zany' and serious. If it would pick a tone and stick with it like Daredevil did, I'd like it more.
    I noticed this and I think that's what stuck out to me too. There's definitely a lot of humor, usually by Foggy or Matt's interactions, but it's executed in a competent manner that doesn't really distract from the tension. My problem with the zany, Whedon-y humor you mentioned is that they crack jokes at the most inopportune moments, and as a result it kills any sort of dramatic tension. They did get much better with it in Season 2 but yeah, that's definitely what I was thinking while watching this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyflute View Post
    So they can show a guy getting his head smashed to bits but they draw the line at f-bombs? Heh.
    They don't show a guy getting his head smashed to bit. They show a car, and you hear it. It feels like they were going for a TV-14 with this show, but they used some Pg-13 language, which I guess landed them with an MA.

Also Foggy mentioned his parents a lot and how his mom wanted him to be a butcher. So I take it his mother isn't the same ball busting lawyer character from the comics. In that case what makes Foggy go into law. Is it just to make money and meet women? Cause there seems to be a lot easier ways to do that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    I would love to see Black Widow guest star in an episode or two in season 2 at least.
    I'm kind of surprised they didn't throw Emily VanCamp in with all the FBI agents.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Oh, hey. Interesting connections being forged already between Daredevil and Iron Fist.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=118515

Woooo, so there was something more to that old woman. No wonder she wrecked Matt so easily.
    And Gao's claims that her followers willingly blinded themselves as a show of faith also suggests a link to the Cult of Kali, opening the door for the appearance of the Shroud, a supporting character in the current DD run.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    To be fair, Daredevil's had 13 episodes and is telling a largely established origin story about an existing superhero. That's arguably an easier remit that AoS had from its outset, at least in regards to each show's consistency.

Ultimately though, anyone's perception of quality is generally just as subjective as their personal preferences. On that basis, I'm not going to disagree with you if you genuinely consider Daredevil to be the better of the two shows.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    I'm kind of surprised they didn't throw Emily VanCamp in with all the FBI agents.
    If I'm not mistaken, the end of Winter Soldier sowed her joining the CIA not the FBI.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

That was a roller coaster of a show. I was hooked for the whole 13 episodes.

By the end, there were at least three things that I didn't end up liking, but they are not enough to counter all the things I did like.

For those interested, the three things I didn't like:

Spoilers for episodes 12 and 13:

1) Killing Ben Urich - This was a mistake. His death didn't add anything to the story and, considering the characters connections to Jessica Jones, and wider to Spider-Man, just took away a really good supporting bridging connecting. Plus, Vondie Curtis Hall played the character so well. A shame he died.

2) Kingpin was made to be a bit too overly emotional. The guy is meant to be a master planner, but he definitely comes across as what Leyland and Gao felt he was - unstable. Played amazingly, but not really The Kingpin, but then I guess they are building him up and the relationship with Vanessa was perfect.

3) Killing off Bob Gunton's Leland Owlsley. Gunton was so entertaining to watch every time he appeared. Seems clear they are going to set up his son to come in as The Owl, but still, Gunton was just so good his death was another loss to the show, and only exacerbated point two above.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God