Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

If you really want to find out how they feel about it, you could always

(wait for it)

talk to the Hand!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I mean, a bunch of evil Japanese ninjas who worship a demon?
    No?

And aren't you the guy constantly extolling how awesome the Mandarin is?

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    The Hand is a horrible concept for another reason. They can raise the dead if they have a body. Think about that. And the negative side effects of their trying to turn the person evil can apparently be reversed.

But the rest of the heroes such as Cyclops would apparently prefer to have had Charles Xavier's body just rot away had not Red Skull taken his brain.

The irony is that Asian versions of superheroes such as the Monkey King written hundreds of years earlier had their first priority be immortality, let alone the Sumerian hero Gilgamesh written thousands of years earlier. This seems to be clear proof logical thinking in storytelling has not advanced at all, and perhaps has even regressed.
    1) That requires asking The Hand for help something heroes are very reluctant to do except in the most dire of circumstances.

2) Even if the Hand's control can be reversed I imagine it's not an easy process and I'm sure the Hand would be quite adamant about not letting that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Shang Chi and Sunfire are Avengers. Mantis was in the past.
    I believe Mr.Majestic was talking about the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I believe Mr.Majestic was talking about the movies.
    The movies aren't very good with diversity, but the good news is Claudia Kim is playing Amadeus Cho's mother in Age of Ultron, so hopefully that means he will be showing up in Phase 3.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Majestic View Post
    As an Asian guy I say, please don't take them away from us! I mean they keep taking away roles for Asians because they're supposedly stereotypical or racist but then they don't give us any roles to replace them.

Mandarin can't be Chinese(!), that'd be racist! Okay so can we have an Asian hero in Avengers then? No. The tech guy can't be Asian that'd be racist, the Kung Fu guy can't be Asian that'd be stereotypical! So can the the Asian guy be the bad ass? No. Can he be the suave ladies man? No? So that means no Asian bad guys + no Asian good guys = No Asian guys at all.
    I'm not even one of thise fanboys who got angry about the Mandarin twist in IM3 (I thought it was hilarious and enjoyed it very much myself) but it does suck that they removed a prominent Chinese character from Marvel history instead of just fixing the perceived problems with him. Same wih Yinsen, who was a Chinese character in the comics, but played by a Westernized actor of Middle Eastern descent in the movie.

It seems that instead of fully addressing problems with East Asians in the movies, people in the entertainment industry are more willing to just remove the East Asians.

East Asian men are more poorly represented than even East Asian women. Agents of SHIELD has been a very progressive and diverse TV series, and it features two Asian women who are allowed to be sexy, kickass, and heroic. But a strong, desirable male Asian SHIELD agent? Still haven't seen one yet in live action, even though the comics actually have one in Jimmy Woo.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

They are to the extent that the only way a Japanese or East Asian character showed up in a Daredevil comic to that point was to be a ninja. And that's somewhat the truth to this day.

Fantastic Member

Almost forgot about the Jim Morita character in the first Cap movie. "I'm from Fresno, ace," was such a great moment, and it directly confronted anti-Asian attitudes about Asians being weak, otherworldly, and unable to integrate. Morita was once of the guys, and his Asian ethnicity had nothing to do with who he was.

Just wish he'd had more to do after that one great line though.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Nah, the Hand isn't offensive.

There are Asian heroes like Shang-Chi. The Chinese mafia is a very real thing, I don't see why the Hand would be offensive.

As an Asian guy I say, please don't take them away from us! I mean they keep taking away roles for Asians because they're supposedly stereotypical or racist but then they don't give us any roles to replace them.

Mandarin can't be Chinese(!), that'd be racist! Okay so can we have an Asian hero in Avengers then? No. The tech guy can't be Asian that'd be racist, the Kung Fu guy can't be Asian that'd be stereotypical! So can the the Asian guy be the bad ass? No. Can he be the suave ladies man? No? So that means no Asian bad guys + no Asian good guys = No Asian guys at all.
    its freakin ridiculous.

As is the OP's initial question.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I don't think the hand are offensive. You can see plenty of Demonic Ninja/Samurai/martial artist in Asian popular culture.

People are way too over sensitive on some of these things.

All I'm gonna say is Wong better be asian in the Dr. Strange movie. Or I will be pissed. Preferably they will actually get a Chinese actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    All I'm gonna say is Wong better be asian in the Dr. Strange movie. Or I will be pissed. Preferably they will actually get a Chinese actor.
    Of course, now you have to deal with the issue of a Chinese man playing the role of man servant to the Mighty Whitey.

Fantastic Member

I'm gonna say is Wong better be asian in the Dr. Strange movie. Or I will be pissed. Preferably they will actually get a Chinese actor.
    Wong and the Ancient One. I really hope those rumors about Morgan Freeman being the mentor aren't true.
    Last edited by JimRaynor55; 04-11-2015 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Of course, now you have to deal with the issue of a Chinese man playing the role of man servant to the Mighty Whitey.
    I think you can offset it a bit if you do like some of the more recent retellings have done and have it so he doesn't actually like Strange at first and is kind of snarky and rude to him for comedic affect. That's easier to swallow than basically making him Adult Short Round.