Super Moderator

Default SWCA: Marvel Celebrates "Star Wars'" Comics Return, Teases Future Titles

Marvel Comics and Lucasfilm discussed the publisher's upcoming comics, and how they feed into the overall "Star Wars" franchise plans.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member

I'm pretty excited for the Marvel Star Wars comics, but they really have to stop acting like they are doing anything groundbreaking or better than was done already. The EU was a glorious thing and whatever problems it eventually had will no doubt become problems with the Disney era if it runs 20 years.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Loving all of the Star Wars books right now! I am ecstatic that we are getting even more!

I am find with the Story-group letting old EU stories back in but it should be done carefully, that way you don't fall into the same pitfalls as what happened with DC when they revamped for the New 52 and the Post-Crisis world.

Spectacular Member

I love the EU but I'd rather that none or most of it NOT be included with the new material we are getting now. If you start including favorite EU characters you'll run the risk of creating expectations you can't meet or you'll look like your just trying to ape the old stories. For example, you introduce Mara Jade, you'll expect the same back story, the same character arc and you'll expect her to end up with Luke. The EU will remain special and will always be remembered by the fans but this is a new era. Let it be a blank slate for new stories and characters.

I also don't think Marvel/Disney are saying this is groundbreaking work they're doing-- they're just hyping it, as they should. And so far, it deserves the hype. The books are solid.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poneley View Post
    I love the EU but I'd rather that none or most of it NOT be included with the new material we are getting now. If you start including favorite EU characters you'll run the risk of creating expectations you can't meet or you'll look like your just trying to ape the old stories. For example, you introduce Mara Jade, you'll expect the same back story, the same character arc and you'll expect her to end up with Luke. The EU will remain special and will always be remembered by the fans but this is a new era. Let it be a blank slate for new stories and characters.

I also don't think Marvel/Disney are saying this is groundbreaking work they're doing-- they're just hyping it, as they should. And so far, it deserves the hype. The books are solid.
    I agree with you. New characters allow for new stories.

We all have our pet characters but the new versions of them will often look and feel drastically different, to the point of not really being the same character.

Extraordinary Member

I agree, I think it is necessary for Disney to throw out everything if they want to be able create a new trilogy as opposed to just adapting other material.

As for the 'groundbreaking' stuff, I probably meant more the hype and most of that is just from various comments that are probably due to being in response to questions from people who never even aware of Dark Horse or even the novels that covered all of this already.

All-New Member

"the animated series "Rebels," which debuts in September"
    Um, season two of Rebels starts this summer (I don't think they've actually given a start date, but there's a trailer out.)

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korra View Post
    "the animated series "Rebels," which debuts in September"
    Um, season two of Rebels starts this summer (I don't think they've actually given a start date, but there's a trailer out.)
    Completely right, Korra. I blame my choice of words, but I was trying to say that Rebels was also part of the larger, concerted push beginning September. Rebels Season Two does premiere this Summer, and S2E1 is GREAT!!!
    Last edited by Bradfield; 04-20-2015 at 06:48 PM.

All-New Member

It's hard to disagree with pretty much anything anybody's said here so far. Personally, I do think a cohesive continuity is a good thing in that I attend a lot of conventions and panels every year, and anything that cuts down on deep continuity questions is a good thing. Still, prior to this effort, I've enjoyed A LOT of the Star Wars ancillary material. For one, sure, I know the original Marvel run isn't canon, it wasn't at the time. Still it's fun. Staying to the world of comics specifically, Dark Horse's treatment of the source material was superlative. And even then, there was still a five tiered system as to what was canon and what wasn't. I guess, to many, the "Legends" line is one notch higher than throwing the baby out with the bath water, but anything that keeps the older stories out there is cool with me.

NOW... the new series. I LOVE the current books. Unlike the original Marvel run, for which I still have a soft spot in my heart, the stories are not only faithful to accepted canon, but to the characters and general tone of Star Wars.