Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Default Favorite Planetary story

What is your all time favorite story from Planetary?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Probably "Death Machine Telemetry": I'm a sucker for psychedelic comics, it's a huge turning point in both the mythology and for Snow personally, and I like the way it plays around with the panel layouts. "Dead Gunfighters", "The Good Doctor", "To Be in England, in the Summertime", "Magic and Loss", "Century", "Zero Point", "Opak-Re", "Mystery In Space/Rendezvous", "The Torture of William Leather" and the untitled last two issues were my other big favorites. And "Night On Earth" has my single favorite statement of Batman's mission ever.
    Buh-bye

To Be in England, in the Summertime might be mine.
    BB

I love the first issue, especially the last page. Monster Island is also a favourite. Really I could pick any issue and it would be great. My favourite series to re-read.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Probably "Death Machine Telemetry": I'm a sucker for psychedelic comics, it's a huge turning point in both the mythology and for Snow personally, and I like the way it plays around with the panel layouts. "Dead Gunfighters", "The Good Doctor", "To Be in England, in the Summertime", "Magic and Loss", "Century", "Zero Point", "Opak-Re", "Mystery In Space/Rendezvous", "The Torture of William Leather" and the untitled last two issues were my other big favorites. And "Night On Earth" has my single favorite statement of Batman's mission ever.
    I 2nd the vote for Death Machine Telemetry. There's a few things in it that went over my head when I first read it, but yeah, it's awesome.

It seems like Joe Casey was trying to bring back an element of that old school psychedelic feel to some of his comics. Godland, Butcher Baker, Bounce ( I haven't read Sex).

All-New Member

My all time favourite comic book. You really can't go wrong with any of the 27 issues. Hated the wait between 15 and 16 at the time though

It wasn't my favorite at the time, but the one that always stays with me the most for some reason is The Gun Club. I just wasn't expecting the confirmation of such a seemingly ludicrous early concept of space travel in the pages of such a scientifically grounded book. It simply had never occurred to me that shooting a capsule into space like a giant bullet could actually be attempted.

It's a tough question for such a consistently quality series but I remember enjoying very much Planetary #12 "Memory Cloud". It's a classic big reveal issue with snippets from Elijah's past to whet your appetite for future issues. I couldn't wait for the next trade when I first read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Mine also. He gave a great description of Green Lantern's mission in "Magic and Loss" as well:
    "Be the best kind of policeman; the one who serves justice, the one who works not for laws and authority structures but for finer worlds. Be the light in blackest night"

The when where he kicks Dracula in the balls. And the "Vertigo" one.

When they discover the ship in space,send the angels up to record, and find out there are whole civilizations in it.Traps one of the four and blasts him into space.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Top 4: Dead Gunfighters, The Day the Earth Turned Slower, Zero Point, and In From the Cold.

The sense of loss and frustration in those issues is immense, and there's a tangible trauma to them, particularly in reference to the enormity of Dowling's petty cruelty and that slow-build to the revelation of how pathetic and insecure he is. And, three of them have Jakita smacking things spectacularly, which never gets old.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Can't remember the names but the story with the magician-woman, the issue where the 4th man is revealed and the last issue
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by bob fett View Post
    When they discover the ship in space,send the angels up to record, and find out there are whole civilizations in it.Traps one of the four and blasts him into space.
    Yeah, I loved that issue too. The anticipation and suspense waiting to see what the ersatz Thing would look like/do just sucked me in. Combined with it evoking fond memories of reading Rendezvous with Rama as a kid, this was definitely my favourite issue of the run.

I enjoyed the Preview that had the Hulk analogue. Man, they starved him in a 10 mile hole for 58 years.

Just finished reading this and enjoyed it, but can someone explain in the most laymen terms possible their plan to bring back Ambrose?