BANNED

Default War and Flashpoint Paradox

I had seen War before and loved it, but yesterday I decided to watch it right before Flashpoint Paradox (my first viewing of the latter). I was seriously impressed by both, and a bit shocked by how much depth there was. The villains and their beating and blowing things up (especially Darkseid) seemed just another part of the story, at worse a distraction...the real value of those films lie in the interaction between the members of the Justice League, their personalities, etc. And that includes the heroes from the alternate/time frame from Paradox. The voice acting in both movies was especially impressive, I felt like I was hanging out with them. I didn't get that from Throne of Atlantis, perhaps I should check out the graphic novel instead.

Overall I got the feeling that these films were made by artists, as pretentious as it sounds. It didn't seem pretentious as I was watching the movies. It was like these writers and animators were creating something really expressive, using the superhero medium. It's not as apparent in the Marvel films, though there's good stuff there too.

All my opinion, and I'm hyperaware of the pretentious label I might have attached to this topic, so forgive me in advance.

BANNED

To each there own but Flashpoint was meh to me, War and TOA are just bad. Interactions feel rushed to me the body designs are strange especially in Flashpoint, it feels like the films rely solely on the action rather then story. Personally would recommend the original stories over the animated adaptions. Just my opinion

God's and Monsters is a great film and read. Assault on Arkham was pretty awesome as well.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Götterdämmerung View Post
    I had seen War before and loved it, but yesterday I decided to watch it right before Flashpoint Paradox (my first viewing of the latter). I was seriously impressed by both, and a bit shocked by how much depth there was. The villains and their beating and blowing things up (especially Darkseid) seemed just another part of the story, at worse a distraction...the real value of those films lie in the interaction between the members of the Justice League, their personalities, etc. And that includes the heroes from the alternate/time frame from Paradox. The voice acting in both movies was especially impressive, I felt like I was hanging out with them. I didn't get that from Throne of Atlantis, perhaps I should check out the graphic novel instead.

Overall I got the feeling that these films were made by artists, as pretentious as it sounds. It didn't seem pretentious as I was watching the movies. It was like these writers and animators were creating something really expressive, using the superhero medium. It's not as apparent in the Marvel films, though there's good stuff there too.

All my opinion, and I'm hyperaware of the pretentious label I might have attached to this topic, so forgive me in advance.
    It's because the former were more heavily based on the graphic novels, written by Johns.

The best thing about the War storyline is their interactions. But unfortunately they over simplify or exaggerate some of the personality traits for the sake of having a new 52 origin story. Hal is turned into a fratboy, Captain Marvel (now Shazam) has the personality of a child, Superman is kind of a jerk, etc. Barry's personality is fairly well represented in Flashpoint because he's the Barry who grew up with his mother even though I dislike the consequences thereafter.