All-New Member

Default Netflix: Daredevil is it going anywhere??

Hi, so I have been watching avidly Daredevil on Netflix but I am now some what struggling to carry on watching the series. Don't get me wrong I like how they are doing daredevil with all the violence which should happen so it can correlate with Frank Miller's Daredevil comic book series. However what I do see is that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere in particular! Yeah so he is going after Kingpin but what is happening after that is going to end up in a film with the avengers into the infinity war or is AKA Jessica Jones going to takeover the daredevil series and try and make the whole continuation of a street crime fighting crew going after the villains. I just don't get why they are doing this and where it is going to end up! Can anyone explain where they think it may end up? Or how it could possibly change the marvel universe.

THX.

OASIS 249

BANNED

It sounds like the other series may spin out of Daredevil. Rosario Dawson's characters once dated Luke Cage in the comics, I've been told, so that's a way to bridge the two shows. And the old Chinese drug lord is supposedly using Steel Serpent's symbol, so there's your Iron Fist connection..

DD is a serial. He'll do the normal adventures while also focusing on the overarching storyline involving Kingpin. After Kingpin, it may be someone else.

It's almost like you've never seen a serialized drama before.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis249 View Post
    Hi, so I have been watching avidly Daredevil on Netflix but I am now some what struggling to carry on watching the series. Don't get me wrong I like how they are doing daredevil with all the violence which should happen so it can correlate with Frank Miller's Daredevil comic book series. However what I do see is that it doesn't seem to be going anywhere in particular! Yeah so he is going after Kingpin but what is happening after that is going to end up in a film with the avengers into the infinity war or is AKA Jessica Jones going to takeover the daredevil series and try and make the whole continuation of a street crime fighting crew going after the villains. I just don't get why they are doing this and where it is going to end up! Can anyone explain where they think it may end up? Or how it could possibly change the marvel universe.

THX.

OASIS 249
    Before they integrate it into the larger MCU to any degree, it's important that they first establish Daredevil, his supporting cast, and his most iconic (since Miller at least) villain.... and having just finished the series, I think they did so masterfully while subtly reminding us (with mentions of 'the Incident' and Urich's old framed headlines about the Hulk in Harlem and the Battle of NY) that this is indeed happening in the MCU, but not hammering us over the head with it. To have made it crossover city from the beginning would have detracted from the development required to make it its own thing.

As to how they go forward from this point, we know that there are going to be the other Netflix series for Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones, culminating in the Defenders where they come together as allies. It all seems fairly 'street-level', except that with Iron Fist you get all the martial arts mysticism (not that that doesn't come into Daredevil a bit with Stick and the Hand and even Mrs. Gao anyway), and the other two have superpowers, so it makes sense for this to remain mostly a different perspective on the MCU from the ones you get in the Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, or Guardians of the Galaxy movies, or even the spy thriller feel of CA2: Winter Soldier or the Agents of SHIELD TV show. It's a big world out there, so it's absolutely fine if there's not a lot of direct crossover between the two-three 'levels' for some time to come; even with all this happening in the same world and sometimes even the same cities such as NYC or DC, it's perfectly possible for the Avengers to be busy with something different while the Defenders are having a throwdown with the Hand and a Dragon Lord from K'un Lun or something, just as happens in the comics quite often. So long as they're reasonably careful to keep things straight enough that they don't contradict each other or seem incongruous in the same world, it's not a problem.

And if/when they do decide to cross over with the Avengers or SHIELD, whether it be with Daredevil and other Defender appearances (even if just cameos) in CA3: Civil War, they can get a whole lot of mileage out of the characters approaching things from different perspectives, at least at first.

Did anybody else notice that spoilers:
    Mrs. Gao not only displayed a ridiculous amount of martial arts skill, but mentioned to Leland Owlsley that she came from someplace a lot further away than China? k'un Lun seem like a good guess to anybody?
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by vitruvian; 04-11-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

THX.

OASIS 249
    Just out of curiosity, why does it need to "end up somewhere" or change the Marvel Universe? Why can it just not be a story about a guy named Matt Murdock and his war on crime? It is going to be tying into four other series (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & the Defenders) by why is that necessary for you to watch a show you said seem to like the show and what they are doing, so I am curious as to why it's a question for you?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Where will the tv show end up?

The classic answer to that would be: you have to keep watching to see.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Where will it end up?

3 other super heroes fighting street level crime in the same city...

+

Defenders when they all get togehter to fight something/someone

and then...

if its successful... season 2 baby!
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

How much of Daredevil will echo in AoS and Ultron?
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why does it need to "end up somewhere" or change the Marvel Universe? Why can it just not be a story about a guy named Matt Murdock and his war on crime? It is going to be tying into four other series (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & the Defenders) by why is that necessary for you to watch a show you said seem to like the show and what they are doing, so I am curious as to why it's a question for you?
    I second this query.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Thing 2099 View Post
    It's almost like you've never seen a serialized drama before.
    I agree.

Is this question going anywhere?
    "I'm not seeking penance for what I've done, Father. I'm asking for forgiveness... for what I'm about to do." -Matt Murdock

Click a link below and follow me ->
    YouTube Facebook Twitter Instagram photobucket MoviePilot

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticScholar View Post
    How much of Daredevil will echo in AoS and Ultron?
    Hopefully not at all. Someone's got to do the real work out there, while all the billionaire supermodel jerk-asses are busy wrecking half the town and facilitating the rise of psychotic Atari games.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Once the "shared universe" concept made its way frm comics to movies/TV, it was inevitable that these kinds of questions--Is this story in continuity? Does this story "matter"? If not, then why should I care/waste my time reading it?--would follow.

THX.

OASIS 249
    If you're asking what the ramifications are to the larger Marvel mythology, it might be larger than you think. In particular, Daredevil is the *only* MCU property so far that has even hinted at the mystical side of Marvel, i.e. ninja cults and mystical lands in the east. That means the Hand (Nobu). That means Kun Lun and the Capital Cities of Heaven (Mistress Gao). That means ancient martial arts masters, kung-fu fighting, Iron Fist and chi.

It seems down to earth and realistic, but the long-term implications are huge.