Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Your average joe didn't know who the Guardians Of The Galaxy were either though. The excuse of a character being 'unknown' doesn't really fly anymore.
    The difference being Spider-Man has been established as Peter Parker in the public consciousness.

And in terms of synergy, it would be a case of kicking Peter out of his own book and having The Amazing Spider-Man starring Miles.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    The difference being Spider-Man has been established as Peter Parker in the public consciousness.

And in terms of synergy, it would be a case of kicking Peter out of his own book and having The Amazing Spider-Man starring Miles.
    Public consciousness?

Well, you're a lot more optimistic about the general public's superhero knowledge than I am.
    Apparently, a lot people don't know who Joe Biden or Edward Snowden are.

Overall, I'm very comfortable with the notion that the average John Q. Moviegoer still doesn't know who Peter Parker is.
    They associate Spidey with the suit and that's about it.
    At best, if asked who is underneath the mask, they might answer "a white guy".
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Public consciousness?

Well, you're a lot more optimistic about the general public's superhero knowledge than I am.

Overall, I'm very comfortable with the notion that the average John Q. Moviegoer still doesn't know who Peter Parker is.
    These guys act like people go to Spider-Man movies so they can watch Peter Parker crying for two hours, instead of Spider-Man thwiping around being a superhero.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

I'm not watching anymore Spider-man remakes. A third relaunch already? This is stupid. All because marvel studios are cheapskates who are hostile to talent and don't want to pay Andrew Garfield what he's worth.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Indeed at this point Sony just needs the cash
    Marvel pushed back a number of their own films because of the Spider-Man deal. I have a hard time seeing Marvel doing something like that if Sony really had full creative control.

BANNED

Public consciousness?

Normally, I would agree with this general sentiment; people who follow this stuff do have a definite tendency to project their knowledge onto the rest of the world that doesn't follow this stuff. But in this particular case, I don't think they are (at least not to the same degree). Aside from Spider-Man being a major pop-culture icon in general, the Spider-Man movies have grossed close to $4 billion dollars worldwide. That's a lot of tickets and a lot of eyes. I think it's safe to say there is a pretty strong, general cultural awareness of who Peter Parker is. Now, does that mean that the general audience would go into revolt if somebody other than Peter was behind the mask? Probably not, because knowing about something and caring/having an emotional connection to it are two very different things. Most of the non-comics readers who know who Peter Parker is probably don't care enough about him to get upset if he were replaced.

(And the fact that "a lot people don't know who Joe Biden or Edward Snowden are" really says nothing regarding Peter Parker, other than the fact that it's endemic of a general trend--that's been in place for years--that people, in general are more likely to know about pop culture figures (real and fiction) than actual, substantive cultural ones.)
    Last edited by kalorama; 04-11-2015 at 05:42 PM.

BANNED

Public consciousness?

I think the Average Moviegoer probably knows Spider-man is Peter Parker, however I dont think the Average Movie Goer particularly cares as long as the movie is good.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batman#22 View Post
    No offense, but I beg to differ. In my opinion, Miles is all that different from the 616 Peter Parker. The only difference is that Miles comes from a different background and is slightly more serious. Also, I feel like he's been overused lately in most comics. He has is own title, he's in All-New X-men, he is in (or soon to be was) the Ultimates, and soon he's going to be an All-New Avengers. Don't get me wrong, I know Peter has been over used himself at times but I like him better. Sorry, I'm just not much of a Miles Morale fan.
    How is miles overused two titles you mentioned are cancel and he guest star in all new x-men.

Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Normally, I would agree with this general sentiment; people who follow this stuff do have a definite tendency to project their knowledge onto the rest of the world that doesn't follow this stuff. But in this particular case, I don't think they are (at least not to the same degree). Aside from Spider-Man being a major pop-culture icon in general, the Spider-Man movies have grossed close to $4 billion dollars worldwide. That's a lot of tickets and a lot of eyes. I think it's safe to say there is a pretty strong, general cultural awareness of who Peter Parker is. Now, does that mean that the general audience would go into revolt if somebody other than Peter was behind the mask? Probably not, because knowing about something and caring/having an emotional connection to it are two very different things. Most of the non-comics readers who know who Peter Parker is probably don't care enough about him to get upset if he were replaced.

(And the fact that "a lot people don't know who Joe Biden or Edward Snowden are" really says nothing regarding Peter Parker, other than the fact that it's endemic of a general trend--that's been in place for years--that people, in general are more likely to know about pop culture figures (real and fiction) than actual, substantive cultural ones.)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    I think the Average Moviegoer probably knows Spider-man is Peter Parker, however I dont think the Average Movie Goer particularly cares as long as the movie is good.
    Well I remain unconvinced, but it looks like we all agree that generally the average moviegoer wouldn't care if it wasn't Pete wearing the webs.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I'm getting tired of Spidey's story never progressing on the big screen. Why can't they just add Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man into the MCU?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Your average joe didn't know who the Guardians Of The Galaxy were either though. The excuse of a character being 'unknown' doesn't really fly anymore.
    GotG didn't have an existing brand to climb over. Your argument is basically that James Bond would work as an agent of the CIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    I'm getting tired of Spidey's story never progressing on the big screen. Why can't they just add Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man into the MCU?
    Because those movies were terrible. Be glad to be rid of them.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Because those movies were terrible. Be glad to be rid of them.
    But Garfield's Spider-Man was fine even if the movies weren't that great. With yet another reboot, we're just going to get Spider-Man's backstory (again) and him fighting the Green Goblin in some form (again).

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    I'm not watching anymore Spider-man remakes. A third relaunch already? This is stupid. All because marvel studios are cheapskates who are hostile to talent and don't want to pay Andrew Garfield what he's worth.
    I agree. Marvel should have at least had the decency to continue the ASM3 plans before flat out throwing the two-part (Hell, it can't even be called a trilogy now) out the window. Also, I think Andrew Garfield is an awesome SM. The whole "High School" aspect was already attempted in ASM, but they quickly had him graduated in the 2nd and last movie. Man, and I really wanted to see where the "Parker conspiracy was going too.

PS- On the bright side, I hear their skipping the whole origin story in a similar way Fox did with the Incredible Hulk.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Medusa View Post
    we're just going to get Spider-Man's backstory (again) and him fighting the Green Goblin in some form (again).
    Many people in this thread have pointed out that the origin is being skipped in favor of jumping right into the story, as per the words of Feige months ago. We also have no idea who he is fighting.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven