View Poll Results: Have the X-movies failed the X-women?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 40.27%
  • No

28 18.79%
  • The X-movies aren't real X-men movies. Still waiting for that.

45 30.20%
  • I thought this was a fact. Duh.

16 10.74%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default "It is a sad irony that the X-Women don’t get more screen time...."

I found this great article about the how the X-women have gotten raw deal from the movies and it has comments from Claremont.

Right in time for the movie coming out this week which I'm looking forward to but I can't never enjoy these movies 100 percent knowing how the women get ignored other than Mystique (thanks to Jlaw and being nude) along other issues.

It is a sad irony that the X-Women don’t get more screen time given that females in superhero comic books are traditionally damsels in distress or damsels in states of undress, and Jean, Ororo, and Kitty are neither. It is sadder still given that the mutants’ persecution is a metaphor of bigotry, a detail that’s lost on many Internet trolls who don’t understand that misogyny falls within its fetid boundaries. Maybe this is why the X-Women are better than the men. They have fights on multiple fronts.
    Last edited by batalia; 05-21-2014 at 12:31 AM.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Thanks for posting, Batalia. I'm like you I think: looking forward to the movie but also sad that the X-Women have about one quarter of the roles, (5 out of 22), and probably the same proportion of screen time. Also that the original plot of Days of Future Past has been redone to make the male characters central.

Pointing out that women have even worse representation elsewhere makes me more sad rather than less. I had thought if any franchise were to give women and minorities an equal shout it would be the X-Men.

I voted yes because they have been, but thats only part of the problem, they made Rogue a student and a young one at that, theres the kitty kid in the first one then the grown up one in i think the second one . Too many issues with Jena to count.
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by VolcanikTiger86 View Post
    I voted yes because they have been, but thats only part of the problem, they made Rogue a student and a young one at that, theres the kitty kid in the first one then the grown up one in i think the second one . Too many issues with Jena to count.
    The problem that I have with the Rogue in the movies is that she doesn't have any of the characteristics that I associate with her. She is scared and meek and has little confidence. I know that she has been like that in the comics, but only for an issue or two when she first joined the X-Men. I find the brash southern brawler that she came to be much more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Juli View Post
    The problem that I have with the Rogue in the movies is that she doesn't have any of the characteristics that I associate with her. She is scared and meek and has little confidence. I know that she has been like that in the comics, but only for an issue or two when she first joined the X-Men. I find the brash southern brawler that she came to be much more interesting.
    That was due to the super strength and flight she gained from Ms Marvel who doesn't exist in the film verse. Honestly this depiction of rogue is a lot more realistice than most people give Singer credit for even if she isn't very effective,

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    That was due to the super strength and flight she gained from Ms Marvel who doesn't exist in the film verse. Honestly this depiction of rogue is a lot more realistice than most people give Singer credit for even if she isn't very effective,
    I don't watch superhero movies for the realism. I want to watch heros punch things and have explosions and also have a good plot and consistant characterization and fullfil my every dream. Is that too much to ask for?

Anyways, I think what he did with Rogue was okay with the first movie, but I would have liked a different character arc for the second one.

While their roles were sometimes decent I think that the X-Men focused way too much on Wolverine, and could have given a lot more screen time to the X-Women.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

I expect both Domino and Psylocke to have major roles in 'X-Force', especially if it has the rumored five-person roster. With Cable and Deadpool already confirmed (though unknown at this point whether Wade will be a team member or foe, as in early XF issues) that pretty much just leaves one open roster spot, possibly two. Probably for a team brick like Colossus or Warpath (hopefully made larger than Boo Boo Stewart), and/or for an energy-wielding powerhouse like Sunspot. Fantomex or Archangel are other possibilities, but both would require some explanation I'd think.

Regardless, I expect both Neena and Betsy to be some bad bitches in that film.

I voted "The X-movies aren't real X-men movies. Still waiting for that." because that's a fact. However, I expected the characters to be at least similar. Here, I'm afraid the similarity was in looks and powers. The rest was much more different. Moreover, the X-Franchise is a team effort and it's difficult to evenly divide screen time. The characters were different and often disappointing, just like Rogue, who has been mentioned above. Some X-Women were cameos, which was a shame. Why is it so? Is it the director's fault? I'm waiting to see DoFP on Friday to see how much time the X-Women got. Hope it's at least some good (i.e. story-wise) screen time.

Apparently X-Men :Apocalypse will have Jean, Storm and Scarlet Witch apart from Mystique do I really do hope they give them more focus. Hélas I fear it will be about Charles , Erik and Logan again

BANNED

The movies suck anyway
    Last edited by Neowing; 05-21-2014 at 02:43 PM.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Who cares? Easy-to-digest pop fluff inconsequentiality. The lack of gender representation is just another bulletpoint in the litany of wrongs this piece of **** movie has collected in the interminable amount of time since production started.
    Last edited by Park Slope Pixie; 05-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.

I personally feel the franchise started OK with giving equality to the X-Women. Jean was very prominent, Rogue was central to the story, and Storm even had her moments. By the third movie it went downhill with 1) a crappy movie all around, 2) killing Jean, 3) Rogue being sidelined, 4) Storm having less time, and 5) Wolverine becoming even more of a focus going forward in future movies. The X-Women started in a decent place and went downhill across movies.

I voted the movies not being real X-Men movies as I have not really enjoyed any movie after X-Men 2. Such potential and such a waste of a franchise due to bad writing and too much focus on Wolverine.

The fanfictions of the movies I often find better.

I always found it to be such a shame that Singer ignored all the strong personalities the ladies have (I.e. Storm, Rogue, Kitty) and just focused on shirtless Wolverine. Their portrayal was mundane to say the least. Hopefully with this new "reboot" they'll get right the next time around and have actors who can give some damn pressence beside Hugh Jackman.
    I don't care! I'll start my own group. Rejection from society is what started the X-men.