Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Captain Marvel #14 Discussion

CAPTAIN MARVEL 014, anybody?

Allow me.

THIS issue is tremendous. I haven't been avidly following the Black Vortex event. I ran with it for 2 issues(?) and but it really didn't put me in that much needed Marvel head lock I expected -- especially with so many of my faves mingling -- so I went casual on it until this issue -- which is, again, tremendous. I'm not 100% on the happenings but I think this issue succeeds regardless of not knowing what happened previouslyspoilers:
    to "the Viscardi" or who these "Slaughter Lords" are or even what Kitty's plan is.
    end of spoilers All I needed to know to enjoy this issue was that Carol is high speed sparkle chasing through the vaccuum of space with an ugo mirror artifact and its awesome. The stuff going on is awesome -- not the mirror. I don't care about the mirror.

David Lopez is ON POINT this issue.
    I've admitted to being dismissive of his pencils previously and I've been vocal in the past about "Blah! Return to Earth! I'm over space." but I say thee NAY. THIS issue was space fun zoom pow! And David is bringing some A-game action
    spoilers:
    Carol is buying time and/or delivering this super souping mirror to Kitty for some as yet to be revealed plan and she's got all kinds of alterna-species after her. This issue has Power Ranger villains GALORE! Oh and Peter Quill's Dad. Kelly Sue is bringing the snark and the sass good and rough too. Even Carol's mirror-offering cosmic cooter (for real) didn't pull me out of the fun (much) ---especially when Miss Danvers does herself some hawt hawt hawt sparkle"You can't surround me FOO!" spiral action. "TZZZT"! You damn right, TZZT! Of course it ends unresolved because it IS an event so.... whatever.
    end of spoilers Its beautiful and I've read it 3 times now. So fun.
    Last edited by Fokken; 04-09-2015 at 04:20 AM.

BANNED

Carol got the Vortex in Star-Lord #11 preview.

Extraordinary Member

Lopez is the best artist to hit this series.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

Allow me.

THIS issue is tremendous. I haven't been avidly following the Black Vortex event. I ran with it for 2 issues(?) and but it really didn't put me in that much needed Marvel head lock I expected -- especially with so many of my faves mingling -- so I went casual on it until this issue -- which is, again, tremendous. I'm not 100% on the happenings but I think this issue succeeds regardless of not knowing what happened previouslyspoilers:
    to "the Viscardi" or who these "Slaughter Lords" are or even what Kitty's plan is.
    end of spoilers All I needed to know to enjoy this issue was that Carol is high speed sparkle chasing through the vaccuum of space with an ugo mirror artifact and its awesome. The stuff going on is awesome -- not the mirror. I don't care about the mirror.

I've admitted to being dismissive of his pencils previously and I've been vocal in the past about "Blah! Return to Earth! I'm over space." but I say thee NAY. THIS issue was space fun zoom pow! And David is bringing some A-game action
    spoilers:
    Carol is buying time and/or delivering this super souping mirror to Kitty for some as yet to be revealed plan and she's got all kinds of alterna-species after her. This issue has Power Ranger villains GALORE! Oh and Peter Quill's Dad. Kelly Sue is bringing the snark and the sass good and rough too. Even Carol's mirror-offering cosmic cooter (for real) didn't pull me out of the fun (much) ---especially when Miss Danvers does herself some hawt hawt hawt sparkle"You can't surround me FOO!" spiral action. "TZZZT"! You damn right, TZZT! Of course it ends unresolved because it IS an event so.... whatever.
    I actually thought this was the best issue of this volume. I haven't been crazy about the Black Vortex event so far but KSD brought it all succinctly in focus. And this has been one of the best showings of Carol--I loved the first two pages about conquering the Mustang only to be offered the Maserati. Just a really good story and execution this month. And I almost didn't mind Lopez's art :P
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    I actually thought this was the best issue of this volume. I haven't been crazy about the Black Vortex event so far but KSD brought it all succinctly in focus. And this has been one of the best showings of Carol--I loved the first two pages about conquering the Mustang only to be offered the Maserati. Just a really good story and execution this month. And I almost didn't mind Lopez's art :P
    That's how I felt too. This is my favorite issue of the "Adventures in space" stuff.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post

Allow me.

spoilers:
    Not much else to say except I completely agree. Even Lopez who usually strikes me as an artist that while solid is low on the stylized side, but he really did an awesome job here. Loughridge's colors were a little better than usual this issue. He laid off the monochromatic pallet and wasn't as heavy handed with the yellows, but the colors were still very muted. This is Captain Marvel...colors should be bright, vibrant, exciting! Not muted and heavy (or monochromatic) but this was better than previous. (Still wish we could get Jordi Bellaire back!!)

I felt that this was a rare instance where the muted pallet was appropriate to the tone. The spiraling sparkle, for example, popped really well and (for me) had a stronger impact on how impressive a move it was being paired with the earlier and subsequent less vibrant imagery -- BUT I DO agree that the muted-ness has certainly had its time and that time has past (beyond this issue )

edit: The excessive use of the muted yellow in issues past, I'm sure was intended to give a sense of atmosphere but.... it just felt sickly and a irritated my eyes.
    Last edited by Fokken; 04-09-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    I actually thought this was the best issue of this volume. I haven't been crazy about the Black Vortex event so far but KSD brought it all succinctly in focus.
    It was nice and entertaining but very "stand-alone" for an issue in the middle of the BV. It's more like a tie-in. Same for the Nova issue but Nova was less good

this whole Black Vortex event has been boring as hell to me. I only read it because Carol and the Guardians are in it. Maybe it's because I'm not reading All-New X-Men, Nova and Star-Lord, but I just can't seem to give-a-****. I felt similarly with Battle of the Atom...
    I surrender to the Contest

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    this whole Black Vortex event has been boring as hell to me. I only read it because Carol and the Guardians are in it. Maybe it's because I'm not reading All-New X-Men, Nova and Star-Lord, but I just can't seem to give-a-****. I felt similarly with Battle of the Atom...
    It's more entertaining than Axis. But with Secret Wars coming, it's like if nothing that happen will matter so it's hard to get invested.

Quote Originally Posted by MazeEcho View Post
    It's more entertaining than Axis. But with Secret Wars coming, it's like if nothing that happen will matter so it's hard to get invested.
    Agreed. I feel like Marvel shot themselves in the foot just a bit with their announcements regarding Secret Wars and the drastic modifications to be expected.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Yeah...Black Vortex just feels like a filler story to me what with Secret Wars coming and how big they're saying that event is going to be. Decent story and it's nice to see Carol involved but yeah, it just feels like a filler to me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    I'd been reading and enjoying Star-Lord, which I thought was the most important title going into Black Vortex, since it spun out of the story there, but have been bored to tears by BV. The first four issues just felt like the teams standing around debating what to do, with very little of real importance happening. Since then, I've not been able to drop by the comic store, so I'm a few issues behind, but I'm pretty convinced at this point that when I do finally get around to it, I'll only pick up the CM issue (esp. since it's almost certainly not going to be collected with her next trade).

I haven't been following the Black Vortex at all and found #14 to be a bit confusing (it's also the first issue that I subscribed to). I just hope Black Vortex is over by the time the next issue of Captain Marvel rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by kuraikawa View Post
    I haven't been following the Black Vortex at all and found #14 to be a bit confusing (it's also the first issue that I subscribed to). I just hope Black Vortex is over by the time the next issue of Captain Marvel rolls around.
    Yeah, this is the only Captain Marvel tie-in issue. After that, I think there's one final issue before Secret Wars, then the switch over to Captain Marvel and the Carol Corps mini, and then the unannounced post-Secret Wars series.