Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Where do I start DC Comics? Please help!

So i really want to get into DC comics but I have no idea where to start. I was thinking about the new 52 but I dont know if I should read any comics before that. I would really like to go chronologically. Also, after convergance, I heard DC is relaunching their comics or something. Should I wait for that? Or should I start with the new 52 or read comics even before that? I have been doing lots of research but cant seem to find an answer. Thanks for reading and appreciate any help!

Oh and my favorite characters are:
    Batman
    Green Arrow
    Flash
    And any justice league stuff

BANNED

Start wherever you want. There is no wrong answer. Pick a story that sounds interesting to you and dive in.

You can start at the New52 and once you're comfortable you can jump into the old stories.
    Favorite Characters : Cyborg, Hal Jordan, Simon Baz, Tula, Mera ,Bleez, Shazam, Wonder Woman, Agent 37 , Batman, Kon El, Atomica.

I love Legacy but you have to change things up to keep them from going stale - Jason Fabok

Twitter : @Flashpoint52

I start with the cover, carefully turn the page, usually lower middle corner, and then go to page one. I read from left to right. This is how I start DC comics.
    I have no beef with Vegans

They aren't relaunching...just changing their approach (focusing less on continuity).

And of course, a lot of books were cancelled, new books coming out to replace those.

I suggest starting right away..you won't have much problem with most characters (Except maybe for Batman and GL; they do require some knowledge of history...well, I wouldn't say it's a requirement, but it will greatly help to understand the stories).

Everything else is fine - they did a complete reboot of all other characters with new 52.

As for books, I recommend:

Green Arrow from #17 on wards, until Lemire's run ends (They are bringing in a new creative team after Convergence; so far it looks promising). Stuff from outside of new 52: Green Arrow: Year One and Green Arrow: Long Bow Hunters.

Justice League - the main books has had its ups and downs, but it's great right now.

Batfamily titles - Catwoman, Grayson, Gotham by Midnight (all focusing on characters associated with Batman).

Lot of others books too - Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Aquaman, Azz's WW etc. Depends on your interest
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by kkungfupandaa View Post
    So i really want to get into DC comics but I have no idea where to start. I was thinking about the new 52 but I dont know if I should read any comics before that. I would really like to go chronologically. Also, after convergance, I heard DC is relaunching their comics or something. Should I wait for that? Or should I start with the new 52 or read comics even before that? I have been doing lots of research but cant seem to find an answer. Thanks for reading and appreciate any help!

Batman
    Green Arrow
    Flash
    How did those become your favorites? Was it via the new TV shows and Movies? Old TV shows and Movies? Comic book fan scans online? Reading a couple of books?
    If it's the TV shows then know the media versions are somewhat different than the book versions.

Do you like dark/grim stories or lighter fare?
    See, typically, Batman tends most towards the darker stuff while Flash is lighter. However if you read Flash written by Geoff Johns his work was darker than Mark Waid's.
    Morrison (JLA) wrote more...cerebral ideas which tend to be either hated or loved by readers.

Myself, I like adventure, but not grim and gritty. Much more into pre-Flashpoint. I'm into Flash during Wally West's period, preferably as written by Messner-Loeb and Mark Waid, but maybe you like different things about Flash and would prefer DC52 Barry Allen. In which case I suggest the Manupal years there. Latest issues by Vendetti have been too drawn out (or so I've heard.)

Really, I'd suggest looking up what trades are available for each book then reading any reviews and summaries on them. Whatever sounds most interesting to you from the lists most touted--try those trades. See if you can spare yourself some money by first seeing if they are available thru a library. If newer, maybe a chain bookstore or used bookstore has copies you can browse through first.

Also look up fan scans. I highly recommend reading fan scans to get the gist of a series/author. One way to find these kind of sites is to Google your character, hit Images, then look at the original website and what it has. I know offhand of Scans-Daily. One of the people their loves Richard Grayson so lots of Nightwing scans. Also Batman. Not so much the others.

Good luck and happy hunting!
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

All-New Member

I have been doing a lot of reading up on characters on the DC Wikia and I love these characters' backstories. Batman has always been my favorite. I do watch the TV shows and movies and I know quite a bit about these characters already through the wikis. I like to predict what is going to happen next based on what happened in the comics. I just thought that it would be better to actually read the comics instead of just the wikis. I appreciate your help.
    Last edited by kkungfupandaa; 04-12-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Batman: I Started when Grant Morrison took over. Great point to jump in. Batman #655. Otherwise you can start with the New 52.

The Flash: New 52. If you want you can read Flashpoint before. It's very good.

Green Arrow: You can start when Kevin Smith took over (back in 2003 or something like that) or you can read Year One and the begin with issue #17 of the new 52. I recommend the first option, tho. More issues, more fun.

Justice League: Definetely New 52. Geoff Johns has done awesome stuff. The last time when i actually liked JL stuff was when Brad Meltzer took over, and that was in like 2007.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Mighty Member

The new 52 is good since it's a new start for each character. So all you need to do is take a pick. Convergence seems to be an event meant to loosen up continuity even more, so that it'll be easier for creative teams to tell whatever stories they want.

My favs. thus far are.

Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang's Wonder Woman. WW#1-12, 0, 13-23, 23.2: First Born, 24-35 and Secret Origins: Wonder Woman.
    An epic greek nightmare. Never thought I'd like Wonder Woman, but this run gave me no choice!

Grant Morrison's Action Comics. AC#1-12, 0 and 13-18.
    Trippy retelling of classic Superman. 5D imps and stuff. DCU's answer to Interstellar

Grant Morrison's The Multiversity
    Basically a set of different stories in different universes, who all are attacked at the same time. Not finished, but it's been incredible and I'm quite sure it won't dissapoint.

I'v also only heard good things about Scott Snyder's Batman and (pretty much anything by) Jeff Lemire's Green arrow and Animal man.
    Last edited by borntohula; 04-12-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I have been doing a lot of reading up on characters on the DC Wikia and I love these characters' backstories. Batman has always been my favorite. I do watch the TV shows and movies and I know quite a bit about these characters already through the wikis. I like to predict what is going to happen next based on what happened in the comics. I just thought that it would be better to actually read the comics instead of just the wikis. I appreciate your help.
    Okay, so what you want to do is to take that info and bring the question to each of the threads that will more catch the eye of those characters fans. For instance there's a whole home for threads on Batman that falls outside the general DC comics one that this is in. More concentrated Batman fans mean more input. Same with Ollie, should be an Appreciation thread for the Green Arrow around here somewhere.

As for the Flash...that I can advise on for Wally, Barry, and Bart. (Never had the pleasure of reading Jay, but heard the early JSA books were good.)

Wally: Born To Run (Mark Waid gives background on Wally), Terminal Velocity (Waid really highlights the Wally/Linda romance and Wally's speedster friendships), The Return Of Barry Allen (Waid-- also big on speedster friendships AND arguably the best darn Wally story in existence. Crossfire (Geoff Johns: Wally battling several villains on two sides. It was for me very exciting.) Blitz (introduced imho the most odd and amazing Wally arch-enemy ever, Hunter Zolomon/Reverse Flash.) #54 (Messner-Loeb--considered the best done-in-one Wally story. I also like nearly all of Messner-Loeb, but these tend to be books laden with fun so if that's not your cuppa...)

Barry: I can't speak for the early stories, but anything by Manupal (post Flashpoint/DC52) was good. A bit on the slow side, but the art was excellent and the stories decent enough. On the early side I got mixed reports on The Trial of Barry Allen, a year-long story arc that happened not long before he was thought killed in COIE.

Bart: Personally, I really disliked him as a Flash and was also not wowed by his serious/downer side as Kid Flash, but, boyo howdy was he ever FUN as Impulse. Any Impulse book and for extra fun if you can hunt down and acquire the DC event "Sins..." the whole shebang...do so.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Well I suppose my answer would depend on of you only want to read the current new 52 continuity or if everything is fair game. But I'll give answers for both

Batman I still think Frank Miller's Year One is a great jumping on point.

Green Arrow I haven't read a ton but I really enjoyed The Longbow Hunters

Justice League: Current New 52 Justice League Origin is for sure the best place to start. I do have to give a mention to Grant Morrison's JLA though which is my favorite incarnation of the team and honestly would still read fine even if it doesn't line up with current continuity.

Other justice league related characters

Superman's Man Of Steel (80's story not the film) is a great jumping on point, As well as Grant Morrison's run on new 52's Action comics Birthright, Secret Origin and Earth One are all good places to start. Nice thing about Superman he has plenty of origin stories.to choose from.

Aquaman The Trench starts his awesome new 52 run

Green Lantern Emerald Dawn, A New Dawn, and Rebirth are all great jumping on points.
    Last edited by comicstar100; 04-13-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Yeah. I'd start with the New 52 stuff.

Of the characters you mentioned, you can just start with their volume one TPs (ie Justice League: Origin, Flash: Move Forward, etc) With Green Arrow, you'd be better off starting with volume 4 ... that's when Jeff Lemire started writing the series

Batman
    Green Arrow
    Flash
    Do you still need help? Most of these comments are sarcastic and unhelpful...

Batman: Read Scott Snyder's Batman, New 52 Volumes 1-7 (Volumes 4 and 5 cover his origin)

Green Arrow: I don't recommend this series, it's not good but Volumes 4 and 5 are decent. If you want Green Arrow then I recommend the TV Series Arrow

The Flash: Read The Flash New 52 Volumes 1-6, again I prefer the TV Show Flash.

And Justice League from The New 52 starting from Volume 1 is a great jumping on point.

Hope I helped

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Batman
    Green Arrow
    Flash
    If you want guaranteed good stories that are easy to understand:

Batman: Dark Victory/The Long Halloween/Haunted Knight. Classics.

Green Arrow: Year One, Longbow Hunters, Quiver, and if you like the Justice League, Identity Crisis (I think Oliver is the best at narrating the relationships in the Justice League). His team up with Green Lantern is also really enjoyable and historic in terms of the comic book industry for its pioneering direct engagement of socio-political issues.

Flash: this is a bit trickier because a lot of stories have to do with the legacy of the Flash, but The Return of Barry Allen, Rogue War, and the Secret of Barry Allen are my favorites and great ways to get familiar with the Flash while still enjoying great stories.

Grant Morrison's run on the JLA is great, as was the One Year Later run. If you want some more Epic Justice League stuff, Alex Ross's "Justice" and Kingdom Come are amazing.

I personally shy away from New 52 stuff because the reboot necessarily does away with a lot of the history that was essential to the character, and IMO a good deal of it is disappointing. If you want to really delve into what these characters are about, I'd go with older stuff first and then see if you like the easy-to-follow fresh New 52 stuff.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Your local public library system. Do some searches on titles you may be interested in and you'll probably be surprised how many you find you have free access to.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.