Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Invincible

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I don't get it. The comic has had violence since the beginning so this isn't like it's a new thing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluekey View Post
    What little violence we did get was tame compared to what I was expecting. we've seen much more violence in the past. If you detest violence so much...why did you not drop the series but in like what issue 10? Where mark fought his dad.
    Heh, exactly. I mean if he killed off a character or characters you really like this issue just say that. But pretending this was a Care Bears comic up until now is strange. And someone said it stopped being realistic? When has it ever been realistic, lol?
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Issue #112 was fantastic, that is all I have to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    It's not just shock value. Yes, it is gory and violent. But Kirkman's goal has always been to show realistic consequences of what would happen if superpowered beings actually fought. It does real damage. And we are seeing a betrayal and a guy trying to take over the world. So of course we will see violence, because he is eliminating opposition.

Just because the story contains a lot of death and violence doesn't mean that it is pointless or just for the purpose of shock value.
    Agreed. I think a lot of the people who are getting all bent out of shape about the current story are too tied into loving one or two specific things about the comic, and when those things change they decide it's all bad. Invincible has always been a violent comic, part of the reason it's so gory now is because Ottley is more skilled at drawing than he used to be and can depict violence better.

Everything I see happening in the comic has had logical story lead-ups, explanations and it all makes sense considering character motivations.

Is what is happening shocking? Sure. Is it done for 'shock value'? No, it is done because it is what could logically happen in a long running, story driven comic that has characters that actually develop over time in a realistic fashion. For everything that has happened to make some people so angry across the internet over the last few issues, I can point to logical reasons for why it happened, instead of the characters doing something else that wouldn't have made sense based on their history and motivations just to keep some fans happy that their favorite character or superhero couple is going to be just fine.

If I wanted to read a comic where no matter what happened I knew everything was going to be okay, all the characters would live forever, no one changes and the good guy always wins, I'd go read Marvel and DC comics. I read Invincible because of all the things that it does right that so many other comics do wrong.

spoilers:
    I did lose some favorite characters in this issue and also really like the Mark/Eve relationship, so it's not just that I don't care because MY favorite character didn't die or have bad things happen to them. I am very happy Best Tiger got out of there this issue though.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by wiski; 06-26-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Heh, exactly. I mean if he killed off a character or characters you really like this issue just say that. But pretending this was a Care Bears comic up until now is strange. And someone said it stopped being realistic? When has it ever been realistic, lol?
    I think the problem these readers are having is the pace at which these deaths, dismemberments and brutal face-smashing beatings are coming. Every few issues isn't that big a deal, but when it's multiple instances in back-to-back issues, yeah. It would seem a bit overboard, especially since it's not the first time this stuff has happened.

Black Samson died first, didn't he?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Black Samson died first, didn't he?

Spoilers:

Well, Cecil died first if you look at this as one story arc. But, yes, Black Samson was the first to go in this issue.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bluekey View Post
    What little violence we did get was tame compared to what I was expecting. we've seen much more violence in the past. If you detest violence so much...why did you not drop the series but in like what issue 10? Where mark fought his dad.
    I can understand if those complaining just got into the series. If I just got into the series I'd be with them when it comes to the violence but if the complainers are one of those people that have followed the series since the beginning then I agree with you in that why the hell they didn't drop the comic the minute Marks dad killed his own teammates?

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    Issue #112 was fantastic, that is all I have to say about it.

Agreed. I think a lot of the people who are getting all bent out of shape about the current story are too tied into loving one or two specific things about the comic, and when those things change they decide it's all bad. Invincible has always been a violent comic, part of the reason it's so gory now is because Ottley is more skilled at drawing than he used to be and can depict violence better.

Everything I see happening in the comic has had logical story lead-ups, explanations and it all makes sense considering character motivations.

Is what is happening shocking? Sure. Is it done for 'shock value'? No, it is done because it is what could logically happen in a long running, story driven comic that has characters that actually develop over time in a realistic fashion. For everything that has happened to make some people so angry across the internet over the last few issues, I can point to logical reasons for why it happened, instead of the characters doing something else that wouldn't have made sense based on their history and motivations just to keep some fans happy that their favorite character or superhero couple is going to be just fine.

If I wanted to read a comic where no matter what happened I knew everything was going to be okay, all the characters would live forever, no one changes and the good guy always wins, I'd go read Marvel and DC comics. I read Invincible because of all the things that it does right that so many other comics do wrong.

spoilers:
    I did lose some favorite characters in this issue and also really like the Mark/Eve relationship, so it's not just that I don't care because MY favorite character didn't die or have bad things happen to them. I am very happy Best Tiger got out of there this issue though.
    end of spoilers
    I just don't get the Best Tiger love and I'm formerly CarolinaBatmanFanGuy. Of course I only read invincible universe vol 1 and that story where he killed everyone, but he's kinda meh to me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I just don't get the Best Tiger love and I'm formerly CarolinaBatmanFanGuy. Of course I only read invincible universe vol 1 and that story where he killed everyone, but he's kinda meh to me lol.
    Dunno, I didn't care for him at first, but he grew on me as I was reading Guardians of the Globe and Invincible Universe due to his personality and how the other characters interacted with him. I think he started out a bit bland but got more interesting through the 24 issues of GtG/IU.
    Comics I read:
    Invincible
    other comics that aren't as good as Invincible

I loved the issue and don't understand the hate. Yes, some characters I cared about were killed. The way they died made complete sense and the emotional reaction to seeing it happen made for a rewarding reading experience. Anyone who expected a bloodless coup hasn't been reading the book.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Exciter View Post
    I loved the issue and don't understand the hate. Yes, some characters I cared about were killed. The way they died made complete sense and the emotional reaction to seeing it happen made for a rewarding reading experience. Anyone who expected a bloodless coup hasn't been reading the book.
    In fairness if one just got into the series and saw....this then I can understand the reaction. But eventually they'll have to realize that Invincible isn't a play it safe kind of comic. It doesn't hold your hand and sugarcoat it gives you the harsh truth what happens when the heroes and villains of the comic don't hold back.

Not to de-rail this thread but I have a quick question about invincible universe. Anyone else notice that the pre orders are no where to be seen on DCBS? Anyone know if the series has been canceled? Or is it on hiatus until this arc is over?

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Not to de-rail this thread but I have a quick question about invincible universe. Anyone else notice that the pre orders are no where to be seen on DCBS? Anyone know if the series has been canceled? Or is it on hiatus until this arc is over?
    Issue 12 was the last issue of Invincible Universe. It's on indefinite hiatus with no current plans to bring it back.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    He is a batman style archetype its pretty popular

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Its not Personal...yeah that makes it so much better. How about some inhibitor collars? Robot
    Why would he want to imprison people that he knows will continue to oppose him.

And its not personal... he honestly doesn't care for anyone except MG. The rest of these characters have been around for only a few years in his 1000+ Years life. I don't care about people I have worked with for 6 months... he has now been alive for over 1000 years, why would people he knew for 5 or 6 years matter?

I am sad to see these characters that we barely got to know go... but I really fear that Rex Robot will be killed at the end of this arc. I want him to become Invincible's Lex Luthor.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Issue 12 was the last issue of Invincible Universe. It's on indefinite hiatus with no current plans to bring it back.
    The good news (Link) is that you can sort of replace IU with the new Tech Jacket ongoing, which is coming out soon. (salesman hat off)
    Comics I read:
    Invincible
    other comics that aren't as good as Invincible