Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Invincible

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Issue 116 out today!!!

Well, I loved the issue. A perfect end cap to the Robot takes over arc which moves all the story lines forward and manages to still be interesting read by itself even without any action and being an "in between arcs" type of issue. Quick thoughts:

spoilers:
    1. The art was really excellent this issue. The scenes with William recapping and Robot's action in the background was perfect. The Thragg vs Battle Beast spreads were impressive with a ton of detail.
    2. I know most everyone here is going to disagree with me, but I love this new colorist. No offense (honestly) to Rauch, who I think is talented and I know he's a fan and I hate to see people lose jobs, but the new guy's style fits the book much better. It's much more reminiscent of most of the book's history with Crabtree and FCO than Rauch's style.
    3. Robot has no shame at all. Showing up to the funeral of people you murdered is a big, bold dick move.
    4. Anissa also has no shame. She clearly isn't able to see things from Mark's point of view and how her actions are inappropriate. Different cultures I guess but it also makes her seem kind of stupid. Would like to see that come to a head with a full out brawl and Mark tearing her head off. Doubt that will happen though, much more likely we see her pregnant to inject drama into the Mark and Eve family.
    5. Weird to see Nolan referring to humans as "lesser beings" again. Thought he had come around to respecting humans and not thinking highly of his own people. I like him trying to add some humanity to his people as emperor but the lesser being comment really seemed out of character for the new and improved Nolan we've seen since the bug planet.
    6. I didn't think I'd like the series set in space and not seeing what is happening on Earth, but I have to admit that I'm now excited to get some sci-fi alien adventures.
    end of spoilers

Hoping the next issues hit their solicitation dates so I don't have to go long without my Invincible fix.
    Anissa might chalk that up to cultural differences but she does seem to be goading.

Robot though that is just a d*** move and intentionally so.

Viltrumites want to sit around for a few centuries and boost their numbers. From that perspective a strong stable dictator with a guaranteed truce works just fine. Taking out Robot is not cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    It wasn't the last issue. I think he was saying he was disappointed it was the last page because he wanted to see what happened next.
    Yeah, it was just a really good cliffhanger moment.
    I love Tech Jacket, but preferred Invincible Universe. I need more Best Tiger in my life, and think he could probably take Invincible in a fight.

Incredible Member

I am looking to start reading Tech Jacket. I hope it is close to as good as Invincible. As far as I can tell, we've got the original 6 issue series from Kirkman, then a 3-issue digital series from Keatinge and the current ongoing series from Keatinge. Is that all of it? Is the 3-issue digital series collected in print?

Also, are there other appearances of Invincible outside of the Invincible series? I would like to try to collect everything there is Mark Grayson. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post
    I am looking to start reading Tech Jacket. I hope it is close to as good as Invincible. As far as I can tell, we've got the original 6 issue series from Kirkman, then a 3-issue digital series from Keatinge and the current ongoing series from Keatinge. Is that all of it? Is the 3-issue digital series collected in print?

Also, are there other appearances of Invincible outside of the Invincible series? I would like to try to collect everything there is Mark Grayson. Thanks!
    Regarding Tech Jacket: There is the original 6 issue series. This is followed by the Tech Jacket backup stories from Invincible during the Viltrumite War story. Followed by the 3 issue digital series. Followed by the current ongoing series. The backup stories are collected in print with the 3 issue digital series in the 2nd Tech Jacket trade paperback.

Regarding other Invincible appearances, my old wiki page listed them all but the new one (in my signature) that we moved to is not fully updated yet but you can still check it out. But here is most of them:

Thief of Thieves #3 has Omni-Man action figure in it
    Clone #4 has Invincible on a t-shirt
    Savage Dragon #107, 115, 132, 139, 140, 141, 144, 149, 179 have appearances by Invincible characters (usually Invincible)
    SuperPatriot: War on Terror #1, 2, 3 has appearances by Invincible, Debbie Greyson, Donald, or Cecil
    The Pact (Vol 2) #1, 2, 3, 4 has appearances by Invincible (he is a main character), Atom Eve, and Debbie Grayson (an issue of this is reprinted in Invincible collected editions)
    Bomb Queen (Vol 4) #2 has an appearance by Invincible
    Johnny Monster #2 has an appearance by Cecil
    Supreme #66, 67 has appearances by Omni-Man
    Nobel Causes: Family Secrets #3 has an appearance by Invincible
    Noble Causes: Extended Family #2 has an appearance by Invincible and Atom Eve
    Noble Causes #5, 7, 19, 37 have appearances by Invincible and Omni-Man
    Dynamo 5 #1 has appearances by Invincible and Atom Eve
    Dynamo 5: Sins of the Father #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 have appearance by Omni-Man, Cecil, Donald, and Invincible
    Wildguard: Fool's Gold #2 has a cameo by The Immortal
    Monster Pile-Up #1 has an Astounding Wolf-Man story
    PVP #14 has a gag with Ryan Ottley dressed as Invincible
    Chew: Secret Agent Poyo #1 has a bunch of misc Viltrumites
    Marvel Team Up #14 (2004 series written by Kirkman) has appearance by Invincible
    Hack/Slash: Comic Book Carnage #1 has various Invincible shirts and posters in the background of scenes
    Hack/Slash (Devil's Due series) #7, 8, 18 have an Invincible action figure in the background and 18 has an appearance by Wolf-Man
    The Tick #100 has appearances by Invincible and Atom Eve
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Incredible Member

Thanks as always capuga!! What are your thoughts on Keatinge's Tech Jacket series? Will I need to pick up the previous Tech Jacket issues to understand what is going on?

Thanks as always capuga!! What are your thoughts on Keatinge's Tech Jacket series? Will I need to pick up the previous Tech Jacket issues to understand what is going on?
    Not necessarily (though it helps of course). I'd try the 3 issue digital series (which I really liked), which I believe is free on the Image site and see what you think. The ongoing has been solid but not as good as that first digital series imo.

Way to waste the whole first page trying to convince us that Image is better than DC/Marvel. Just kidding, I liked it and always enjoy the meta discussions between Mark and the comic store clerk, and hearing what Science Dog is up to these days.

Also, Terra Grayson? Sounds like a Teen Titans character. Decent issue, though. I hope soon we get an issue with a fight besides the never ending one in space,

Loved the issue. Thought all the goodbyes were extremely well done. Some quick thoughts:

spoilers:
    - Laughed at the conversation with the comic store guy. Those are always a bit too "wink wink" but they are usually funny enough that I forgive the break in the story. Plus Kirkman always makes sure to throw in a dig at himself as well.
    - I'm with Mark on Immortal and Dupli-Kate being hypocrites in regards to not fighting. They missed an awful lot of battles when their kids were born.
    - Was surprised that it was DA Sinclair that was open to a rebellion. I actually expected him to agree with Robot and his methods. That character sure has come a long way from where he started.
    - Mark really needs to come clean to Eve about the Anissa situation. He's just creating more problems by hiding it than telling her the truth would cause. It's good to see that we're still dealing with the consequences of that though and that Mark didn't just quickly get over the trauma.
    - Wasn't ever really all that excited by the thought of Mark in space but now that it is happening I find that I'm actually really curious and excited about how things are going to go.
    - I guess I'm in the minority here, but I like the new colorist. I think the brighter tones actually fit the feel of the book better. It felt a little more "cheerful" if that makes sense.
    end of spoilers

Overall I really solid issues that did a good job saying goodbye and giving some temporary closer to most of the Earth relationships.

Mighty Member

I like how a lot of the groundwork for the things future immortal told Mark about when he had Mark kill him are coming together.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    I like how a lot of the groundwork for the things future immortal told Mark about when he had Mark kill him are coming together.
    Whoa, I actually don't remember this at all and I've read every issue. Do you remember when this happened? It sounds vaguely familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Whoa, I actually don't remember this at all and I've read every issue. Do you remember when this happened? It sounds vaguely familiar.
    He's referring to issue 54 when time traveling twins interrupt Mark and Eve's date and take Mark to the future to deal with their mad tyrant that turns out to be the Immortal.

Incredible Member

Has anyone gone back and read Invincible from the beginning? It is quite an experience reading the humble beginnings of the book while having knowledge of future events. It is just such an amazing book!

Has anyone gone back and read Invincible from the beginning? It is quite an experience reading the humble beginnings of the book while having knowledge of future events. It is just such an amazing book!
    I generally do a re-read once or twice a year.

I just read Tech Jacket #8. I am developing a real Xi fetish. I know Zach can't figure out how to have sex with those Geldarians, but I am sure I could think of something.

Spectacular Member

Has Ottley made any statements regarding the art in issue #117? I noticed he was the inker, so maybe he doesn't ink very often, but it looked like the art took a slight step back. It was still great, but I was of the opinion that Ottley had been improving all the way up through issue #116 (and #115, the Thragg vs. Battle Beast, beautiful!) It just seemed a little rushed and the lines weren't as crisp and clean as I'd seen before.

I wondered if backlash from late issues coupled with Ottley's back problems may have led to this. Don't get me wrong though, Ottley is still my favorite artist, and so maybe that's why I'm holding him to a higher standard. I follow his Tumblr and the man is a serious student of his field. Love the work and passion he brings to the table.