Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Invincible

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

After buying the 25 cent #118 and reading #119, and not having read anything else of Invincible prior, I'm really enjoying the story, characters, and art. I'll be following the series and might look into buying Invincible Compendium Vol. 1 sometime. Unfortunately it looks like the second Compendium volume is out of print.

Looking forward to reading #120.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    After buying the 25 cent #118 and reading #119, and not having read anything else of Invincible prior, I'm really enjoying the story, characters, and art. I'll be following the series and might look into buying Invincible Compendium Vol. 1 sometime. Unfortunately it looks like the second Compendium volume is out of print.

Looking forward to reading #120.
    Awesome to hear! If you want to try out the beginning of the series for really cheap you can take me up on this offer:

http://community.comicbookresources....ted+invincible
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Battle Through Time Samurai Jack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Awesome to hear! If you want to try out the beginning of the series for really cheap you can take me up on this offer:

http://community.comicbookresources....ted+invincible
    Huh, that is very generous and unique offer. Thank you for the link! I think I'll look into finding the Invincible Compendium on a nice discount though.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

Issue #120.
    Brutal.
    That last page blew me away.
    And even if I complained about too much family stuff before, this issue did it much better. The baby scenes were so cute. Sadly, it felt like the calm before a storm, and Mark is going to eat his words about always being there for her, you just know it.
    I predict a time-skip of decades where the kid is grown and the current Invincible, and Mark is in a similar role to his father's in the early issues, with her viewing him as a villain because of a choice he had to make. Even if that is wrong, I at least predict this issue being one we can re-read after a bunch more arcs come out involving the kid, and we can find definite foreshadowing in Mark's words.

I read Invincible in trade and so I am not complete caught up but I would consider it to be my favorite comic. I must admit I am a little worried that some people are saying that Kirkman had phoned in the recent issues, can anyone elaborate on this?
    I know he has taken on A LOT recently and I am a little worried about the book.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I read Invincible in trade and so I am not complete caught up but I would consider it to be my favorite comic. I must admit I am a little worried that some people are saying that Kirkman had phoned in the recent issues, can anyone elaborate on this?
    I know he has taken on A LOT recently and I am a little worried about the book.
    It is still good. But they took the series in a radically new direction, and it took a few issues without action to get readers acclimated to the new setting, tone, and style. But the newest issue was back to being a superhero comic and $%!& is going to be hitting the fan in the next arc.

Ok I've heard almost nothing but praise for this book, and not just that, very high praise (i.e. one of the best superhero books ever written).

I finally got around to picking it up and I'm really not seeing what all the hype is about (just finished issue 17). I want to like it, and I'm dying to see what people love so much about it, but to be honest I find it boring most of the time. Aside from a few significant/major plot twists, I find myself wondering why a lot of the events that take place are even written about since they seem inconsequential - almost like filler. I thought it might be for character development and to immerse the reader into the world that they live in, but I'm still not seeing much depth to the majority of the characters, nor am I very interested in getting to know them based on these minor, inconsequential events.

Is this series supposed to be a "slower burn"? Is the first 17 issues a good gauge of what the rest of the series is like? Am I an issue or two away from this series really taking off, or has it already established it's pace? Do you think I should stop now and chalk it up to "different strokes for different folks", if I don't like it by now I probably won't like it further down the line?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by woozie0 View Post
    Ok I've heard almost nothing but praise for this book, and not just that, very high praise (i.e. one of the best superhero books ever written).

I finally got around to picking it up and I'm really not seeing what all the hype is about (just finished issue 17). I want to like it, and I'm dying to see what people love so much about it, but to be honest I find it boring most of the time. Aside from a few significant/major plot twists, I find myself wondering why a lot of the events that take place are even written about since they seem inconsequential - almost like filler. I thought it might be for character development and to immerse the reader into the world that they live in, but I'm still not seeing much depth to the majority of the characters, nor am I very interested in getting to know them based on these minor, inconsequential events.

Is this series supposed to be a "slower burn"? Is the first 17 issues a good gauge of what the rest of the series is like? Am I an issue or two away from this series really taking off, or has it already established it's pace? Do you think I should stop now and chalk it up to "different strokes for different folks", if I don't like it by now I probably won't like it further down the line?

I hate to break it to you bud, but your opinion is wrong.

Just kidding...sort of.

Look if you don't like it by now, I think it's safe to say that this book isn't for you. Most people really get into around issue 7 or 8. If you're on 17, you know what this book is. It happens to be my favorite comic book of all time (though Lazarus has the potential to top it). I think of Invincible as what a Spider-Man should be, but never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by wwise03 View Post

Just kidding...sort of.

Look if you don't like it by now, I think it's safe to say that this book isn't for you. Most people really get into around issue 7 or 8. If you're on 17, you know what this book is. It happens to be my favorite comic book of all time (though Lazarus has the potential to top it). I think of Invincible as what a Spider-Man should be, but never will be.
    I agree with this mostly. Invincible is also my favorite all time series by far, but if you've hit issue 17 and haven't been hooked, you probably won't. I always tell people to give it till at least issue 12 to get to the big twist and see how the book shifts gears at that point but you've already done that. I feel it continues to get better (and Ottley's art really takes off around the mid-20s or so) but I'm not sure that it will be drastically different from where you're at.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Just kidding...sort of.

And that alone is why I am thinking of switching to Invincible now that marvel has made it clear spiderman and MJ will never get back together. If Invincible can show us a great couple that we care about and love and still have great adventures too... I'm all in !
    spider-man from 1962 through 2007 R.I.P will miss you always.

Best superhero series I've ever read, only current ongoing superhero series I read.

I've only read the first compendium (so up to issue #47) and I loved every bit of it. I couldn't stop reading it. I'd definitely agree with others who have said it's similar to Spiderman. It feels like a more modern take on "teenager gets superpowers" and how he copes with it.

Just kidding...sort of.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    I agree with this mostly. Invincible is also my favorite all time series by far, but if you've hit issue 17 and haven't been hooked, you probably won't. I always tell people to give it till at least issue 12 to get to the big twist and see how the book shifts gears at that point but you've already done that. I feel it continues to get better (and Ottley's art really takes off around the mid-20s or so) but I'm not sure that it will be drastically different from where you're at.
    Thanks for your insights. I have been interested in the major twists/revelations and like I said, I want to enjoy it - but I think I'm expecting the series to go in a certain direction from there but instead I've found it shift back into low gear shortly after. For me the series has been low gear with the occasional spike about once per trade. Anyways, I think I'll just finish up the remainder of issues I have left and bow out after that.

I do agree with you about the art though - I have enjoyed Ottley's work quite a bit!

Most recent trade blew me away as always. It is the only comic that makes me laugh, smile, and gasp every time I read it.

Incredible Member

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/07/...oot-imageexpo/

So what do you guys make of this? I'm guessing it's another teaser that simply makes fun of the Big Two. Just like the "New 1st issue" teasers that were released only to then reveal it was #111.