Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Devin Grayson apologizes for the "Nightwing gets raped" scene

http://thebatmanuniverse.net/comic/c...u-exclusive-3/

My respect for her has gone up by about a million points.

When her run came out it angered me, but she brought up many good points here...especially about Mary Sue's.

I always enjoyed her writing, I wouldn't mind seeing her come back.

BANNED

I wouldn't mind the old editorial policy of letting writers write coming back.

The point she indicates is exactly when my enjoyment of superhero stories took a decline that has persisted to the point I am no longer interested in stuff DC and Marvel do.
    Interestingly enough, this point in time exactly marks the start of the 'event age' that still persists.

I really do miss her writing, I put on par with Greg Rucka and Gail Simone in terms of skill and ability.

BANNED

Interesting read. Doubt she'll be back any time soon, though you imagine she'd offer a lot more than Tynion or Bennett to the Batbooks.
    Last edited by LoneNecromancer; 05-21-2014 at 05:04 AM.

Devin Grayson's Nightwing run was...weird. Glad she apologized for the whole mess, class act on her end.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bertone View Post
    http://thebatmanuniverse.net/comic/c...u-exclusive-3/

My respect for her has gone up by about a million points.

When her run came out it angered me, but she brought up many good points here...especially about Mary Sue's.
    Thankfully none of it happened now.

Astonishing Member

I wish we could see Devin's version of Batwoman...maybe as an alterante universe. Just curious, I guess.

Astonishing Member

Her original idea was pretty much the lipstick lesbian Batwoman that got DC so much flack before Tomasi called up Rucka and Williams to do a complete redo.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Her original idea was pretty much the lipstick lesbian Batwoman that got DC so much flack before Tomasi called up Rucka and Williams to do a complete redo.
    Mainstream media really liked that phrase, but I'm not sure if there was any actual flack involved.

Astonishing Member

The fans absolutely went insane (in a bad way) over it iirc.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The fans absolutely went insane (in a bad way) over it iirc.
    I mostly recall some rightwing morons going insane over it, but not actual readers. I mean, sure, some fans are going to go insane in a bad way about anything that's new, but I don't recall any major fan backlash.
    There was huge fan backlash against Devin Grayson though, but I don't recall her ever being linked to a Batwoman book, or there even be any news of batwoman book at the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Interesting read. Doubt she'll be back any time soon, though you imagine she'd offer a lot more than Tynion or Bennett to the Batbooks.
    Let's hope not. I read through the interview and notice that she has the same toxic and whinny manner, that eventually turned me off from her. She seems to view any criticism of her writing as being 'misogynistic', or she's being picked on or the fans are stupid. I had already dropped her run on Nightwing before she did an interview, in which her response to the complaints she was getting about her NW run was "Opinions are like @$$holes everybody has one."

Yeah, that's really mature and classy. Granted she's not the only one in the industry who has that kind of attitude. But I generally won't touch the work of an artist (especially a writer) who insults the fan base. Putting aside the fact that I don't feel like supporting that kind of attitude financially, the kind of attitude also demonstrates an unwillingness to improve on quality or do better. It also shows that they have no interest in writing for an audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I mostly recall some rightwing morons going insane over it, but not actual readers. I mean, sure, some fans are going to go insane in a bad way about anything that's new, but I don't recall any major fan backlash.
    There was huge fan backlash against Devin Grayson though, but I don't recall her ever being linked to a Batwoman book, or there even be any news of batwoman book at the time.
    Batwoman was in development for awhile with a few different people attached, I remember at one point Paul Dini and Alex Ross were going to do it.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

"....And after that, I got fired from Nightwing in the middle of my story arc.
    -So, why did you leave Nightwing? "
    Dude, she just told you she got fired. Pay attention to your own f.cking interview.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Astonishing Member

OYL necessitated them shuffling the creative deckchairs for almost all the books at DC with a couple of exceptions such as Simone's BoP, LOSH, Johns Titans, JSA and GL and Winnick's GA and Outsiders. Interesting that she was blindsided by the events of IC and OYL. I suspected that was the case for the Batgirl writers.

Devin Grayson: I had a great editor who was totally in sync with me, but the bottom line is that the entire culture of the company was changing. It was a major paradigm shift. One of the effects was that the chain of editorial accountability became very muddied and unstable; there was literally no way to get anything approved or cleared in advanced. I went from nearly ten years of rarely being asked to rewrite a single line to months of never receiving fewer than six complete rewrites on every script—not because the quality of the scripts had suddenly changed but because something in the fictional universe had shifted and needed to be accounted for. DC went from a model of group editors pre-approving story arcs to upper management micro-editing finished scripts. It’s just a different way of running things, and maybe it feels normal to the people who came in after the seismic shifts had settled. But being in the middle of that shift while it was happening was pretty rough. It was ultimately not a culture I did well in.
    However this is much more interesting. If this was the organization structure that was created and what DC had as they went into the reboot, then coupled with comments made by Fialkov in his interview at Bleedingcool, it would explain actually the initial problems faced by the Nu52 reboot.

It almost also explains the departures of Tomasi and Wacker from DC editorial.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-21-2014 at 08:23 AM.