Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I wonder when all the male writers that wrote female characters being raped will apologize? Funny that there is outrage was a male character is wronged but hardly any when it happens to female characters.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I disagree. I think that was just her worldview slipping into her work.
    Potato, potatoe...

Quote Originally Posted by spark627 View Post
    I wonder when all the male writers that wrote female characters being raped will apologize? Funny that there is outrage was a male character is wronged but hardly any when it happens to female characters.
    Are you kidding me? There's always an outrage on any community whenever that happens.

Deservedly so though.

I'm not the biggest fan of her work, but I'm glad to see she's finally admitting she wrote a flat out rape scene. While I wasn't happy with that, it was her persistent denial of it after the fact that did not reflect well on her. She's definitely got my sympathies for being in the middle of that editorial/corporate shift though.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    People just don't know what "Mary Sue" means anymore.
    What does "Mary Sue" mean to you? I always thought that a "Mary Sue" was a female character that was like perfect in every way with little to no faults.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus87 View Post
    What does "Mary Sue" mean to you? I always thought that a "Mary Sue" was a female character that was like perfect in every way with little to no faults.
    Incomplete definition. A Mary Sue is a perfect, flawless writer-substitute character, and they are a fanfiction thing exclusively.
    The character discussed here flunks all three parts of that definition.

If Tarantula had been a Mary-Sue then Nightwing, all Robins, and Batman would have fallen hopelesly in love with her, she would not have been a villain, she would no have lost, she would have been a better detective than Batman, better acrobat than Nightwing etcetera.

I disagree. There was a lot of outrage when Identity Crisis came out.

BANNED

Are you joking? It's the damn opposite.

Ultimate Member

You cannot be serious. There's always a big controversy whenever it happens to female characters, Identity Crisis and the Ms. Marvel fiasco being two examples. Hell, the treatment of female characters in comics is one of the biggest debates/controversy's in the industry/amongst the fanbase in general.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus87 View Post
    A "Mary Sue" is a character who is perfect and flawless in everyway. A character whom all of the other characters love and who is better than all of the other characters at everything. Such characters also tend to be writer insert characters. Tarantula was none of those things. She may not have been a particularly good character (I found her to be annoying a lot of the time myself), but she's not a Mary Sue.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Incomplete definition. A Mary Sue is a perfect, flawless writer-substitute character, and they are a fanfiction thing exclusively.
    The character discussed here flunks all three parts of that definition.

If Tarantula had been a Mary-Sue then Nightwing, all Robins, and Batman would have fallen hopelesly in love with her, she would not have been a villain, she would no have lost, she would have been a better detective than Batman, better acrobat than Nightwing etcetera.
    Basically, that's what I believe a Mary Sue is. Except technically they can be villains.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Mary Sues don't have to be author-inserts. One of the most notorious Mary Sues in the Star Trek fanfiction world is written by a man.

And oh, how I wish they were exclusive to fanfic.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Astonishing Member

Gotta agree about Mary-Sues. And we saw this recently with reaction to Harper Row. It warrants a new, more specific descriptor. Because not every character who is a "Writer's Pet" TM ... is a Mary-Sue. And every writer has their pets.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHarper View Post
    I disagree. There was a lot of outrage when Identity Crisis came out.
    I don't remember any writer being accused of using Dr. Light as a Mary Sue.
    My, my! One does peculiar things when one is a gorilla!

Astonishing Member

People just don't know what "Mary Sue" means anymore.
    Mary Sue or Gary Stu - any character someone doesn't like.

Basically, that's what I believe a Mary Sue is. Except technically they can be villains.
    They can be if the writer of the work believes the standard protagonists are actually the antagonists.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 05-22-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Astonishing Member

You are assuming that people are more receptive to male on female rape than the reverse. I'll just point out Kevin Smith's treatment of the Black Cat in the Evil That Men Do was also much very negative.