BANNED

Default Would You Watch....

A Kaine movie?

BANNED

Of course I would!

Unfortunately I don't see Kaine or Ben for that matter appearing for quite awhile(If ever).

iMan 42s

Of course I would see a Kaine movie.
    It could work but Kaine would have to be after the introduction film but it would be a cool change of pace from other spider villains and be a cool spin off movie.

A way this would have to work is Ben Reilly is a literal cousin to spiderman, or a genetically altered clone so he doesn't look too much like Peter. I say this because it means we can ignore the previous actor if things go south.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

For the sheer fact it would mean having a clone saga film on screen, probably not. (Although Ultimate Spider-Man did it very well, and as they're going for a younger Spider-Man it could look to that instead.) Kaine would also be sixteen years old and a morally grey killer, and they'd need a lot of talent to make him as nuanced character and not a whiny Edward Cullen type. As Kaine would have to be introduced as a villain, I can't see it working with a younger version.

However, a Kaine TV show would be fine by me. Have it be that the Jackal (who could be the main villain of the show) taught Peter, figured out his secret and cloned him secretly. Kaine could interact with Spider-Man (in costume) and be at first used as a villain, and over the course of the TV series he becomes tortured by the fact he is a monster, and move onto being the Scarlet Spider.

No. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No. Why?
    Have you read Yost's Scarlet Spider where he becomes Houston's resident grumpy superhero? That's why*. :

Also: Aracely.

*At least for me. There is also all the shenanigans he and a MCU Ben Reilly could get into.

But as SuperiorIronman said: any Kaine movie could be quite an excellent spin-off film with fresh air, a "cool change of pace" that may draw both similar and slightly different audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by One View Post
    For the sheer fact it would mean having a clone saga film on screen, probably not. (Although Ultimate Spider-Man did it very well, and as they're going for a younger Spider-Man it could look to that instead.) Kaine would also be sixteen years old and a morally grey killer, and they'd need a lot of talent to make him as nuanced character and not a whiny Edward Cullen type. As Kaine would have to be introduced as a villain, I can't see it working with a younger version.

However, a Kaine TV show would be fine by me. Have it be that the Jackal (who could be the main villain of the show) taught Peter, figured out his secret and cloned him secretly. Kaine could interact with Spider-Man (in costume) and be at first used as a villain, and over the course of the TV series he becomes tortured by the fact he is a monster, and move onto being the Scarlet Spider.
    There is actually no rule stating a clone has to be of the same "age" that the organism it is cloned from. Don't you remember the Arnold Schwarzenegger's Sixth Day movie? ("We can make your dog smaller"). Assuming you can create no-necessarily-start-as-baby clones of any age, why would you, a mad scientist, limit yourself to the age the base organism has?

What it is most of a stretch (scientifically speaking) is the issue of transferring memories. And even then, unlike Ben Reilly, Kaine hasn't been that defined by them (quite the opposite, given his head has always been a jumbled mess with holes in it). Now, if these were to be artificial memories, that's a whole new, different but very interesting topic.

False memories implanted into the brains of sleeping mice

Inception: Artificial memories implanted in mice

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    A way this would have to work is Ben Reilly is a literal cousin to spiderman, or a genetically altered clone so he doesn't look too much like Peter. I say this because it means we can ignore the previous actor if things go south.
    Even if there were to change or have different actors, you could easily justify a Ben Reilly or a Kaine that has only some minor resemblance:

In Real Life, even people with the same DNA can end up looking quite different (different size, height, physical features) thanks to epigenetic switching (due chemistry, lifestyle and randomness, some genes activate in one person but not in her or his genetically-identical sibling).

This article details such a case: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20039466

Dan and Scott Shillum are identical twins, genetic clones produced from the accidental division of a single fertilised egg into two embryos in their mother's womb some 40 years ago.

Which is quite surprising when you meet them because - apart from sounding the same, and finishing each others sentences like an old married couple - Dan and Scott don't look that similar at all. Brothers certainly, but not necessarily twins, and definitely not identical.

"I'm a couple of inches taller, and I've got a bigger frame" says Scott. "You mean fatter" laughs Dan. "We started to drift apart physically in our teens" Scott continues, rising to the challenge, "I played rugby because I was bigger, faster, stronger. Dan was more football."
    EDIT: Found a photo of the Shillum "not quite identical" twins.

With the same DNA, you can have this.
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 06-21-2015 at 11:48 PM.

Orphan Black shows that a Clone Saga movie could be interesting. Bendis did a good job of adapting it into a 200 page story in Ultimate Spider-Man.

But I don't see the clone saga having spinoffs.

It serves different purposes in comics and film.

In the comics, it creates new characters without the limitations of Peter Parker for potential spinoffs.

In the films, it creates new characters for an actor who is already going to be kind of busy making films where Spider-Man's a lead and popping in MCU movies. So it no longer has the advantage of an easy spinoff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

iMan 42s

Actually Marvel could go the Defenders route with Kaine and do a Netflix series with that. Kaine started as a villain after all and it might be cool to see him having just been created and watch his progressive transformation into the 90's powerhouse he was. That way he could be referenced in the films and other shows and eventually make some sort of contact with Peter and become scarlet spider without the films getting bogged down with trying to incorporate elements of the clone saga, or at least too many.

Netflix might be the way to go seeing as how violent Daredevil was allowed to be. I could see him only just being created and deemed a failure and barely escaping Jackal only to be confused by his own memories. That might be an interesting story engine for his early appearances because he doesn't know he is a clone of some kid and cant comprehend his own mutating power set. He would naturally get caught up with the wrong people in order to find a life for himself and seeing how well Daredevil worked, Kaine could do just as well. Flash forward and he could be on Agents of Shield and progress to a movie where more of his backstory comes out and the reveal of what he is. You could get a lot of mileage out of that.

Edit- No limit to the actors. You can explain the clone has been aged because why would Warren want a child or teenage weapon when he can tweak it to his liking. That would easily explain why the actor is different and has only some minor similarities.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

An alternative: if they go only for a Spider-man Netflix series, Kaine could have some episodes to himself.

But I really wish for what you are suggesting, SuperiorIronman (A Spider-man, a Kaine and a Venom? Spider-Gwen? Black Cat? series for a subsequent Defenders-style show).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Orphan Black shows that a Clone Saga movie could be interesting.
    I haven't seen that series. But I have had it recommend by some friends.

That said, it and Sixth Day and Clone Sage make me wonder how will actual, real life clones will feel when they get to see all the fiction we have created around them (A minority in the making? Will they consider Kaine and Ben Reilly early and inaccurate but good and heroic representatives?).

Bendis did a good job of adapting it into a 200 page story in Ultimate Spider-Man
    Most agreed.

In the films, it creates new characters for an actor who is already going to be kind of busy making films where Spider-Man's a lead and popping in MCU movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarioHerald View Post
    With the same DNA, you can have this.

Last edited by MarioHerald; 04-13-2015 at 09:12 AM.

Probably not. It would require too much set up, and there are plenty of other Spider-Man characters better suited for a spin-off (not that I'm in a hurry to see them mind you)

A Clone Saga film, one day, has the potential to be great though.