Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Elsa vs a nuclear explosion?

so... let's suppose Elsa is two miles away from ground zero of a nuclear bomb detonating. let's suppose this is the one dropped on Nagasaki. Elsa gets warned 5 seconds in advance that she has to watch out for a wave of fire from a certain direction.

my question is, as insanely powerful as Elsa is supposed to be... could she survive a nuclear bomb if she was prepped for it? could she generate enough ice to shield herself to survive the initial blast?

Elsa is considered really hard to beat on the Rumbles board... so, is she tough enough and powerful enough to stop a nuke from killing her instantly? yay or nay?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Water is supposedly a really good sheilder for radiation, so if she can get enough of a shield up it's only the blast she will have to worry about.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

BANNED

http://www.atomicarchive.com/Effects/index.shtml

^^^There's a lot of elements to a nuke it seems, and we don't know how quickly Elsa can put up a sphere of ice a dozen feet thick, and as dense as concrete. That ice needs to be opaque so she isn't permanently blinded, and flash-fried by the thermal effects. Since its the Nagasaki device(Fat Man) its an airburst. So we need to know the specifics of how that works vs a surface explosion.

I don't like her odds, though; there's a lot more to a nuke than just the blast. Ionizing radiation what what-not.

Fantastic Member

She isn't that tough. It is just that she is the top of her league. Some one like Rogue could clobber her no problem.

Incredible Member

Would Elsa even know what a nuclear bomb is? Frozen took place in the early 1800s or somesuch.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    Would Elsa even know what a nuclear bomb is? Frozen took place in the early 1800s or somesuch.
    Just tell her "its like when a really big rock from the sky hits the ground, just, not as bad."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post
    Just tell her "its like when a really big rock from the sky hits the ground, just, not as bad."
    Arnie: "What killed da dinosaurs? Da ice age!"

The Colonel: "No, it was actually a really big rock from the sky, Mr Schwarzenegger. And stop with the non-sequiturs, we've got a scenario to finish out here, and you're not even in it! Sorry, this is much too silly. Much too silly."

Anyways, you were saying?

Yeah, I don't think Elsa is surviving this one either outside of a small chance.

Elsa's ice wall in Once Upon A Time was able to withstand fireballs, IIRC, and not have any part of it melt. So, it's not completely useless. And we know the ice she generates is able to withstand substantial blunt force without even phasing, as evidenced by Anna's statue not even nicking when Hans tried to cut at it with his sword. (In fact, it knocked it over)

I don't really like Elsa's chances, but IF she were to stand a chance against this nuclear blast, she would have to have be batshit scared (Because the more scared she is, the more powerful she becomes) and have absolute control, so she can focus on concentrating on a defense. She would have to be CONSTANTLY releasing, wave after wave after wave after wave of the fire-tanking, blunt force trauma soaking ice barriers around her to push away the blast and heat coming her way. Not the best chances, but completely impossible, either.

Another option for her to survive is if you gave her a little more time (say, 20 seconds), and a sh*tload of water to make wake ice walls with. As in, the same scenario when she froze the water around an entire small nation. I'd say it's conceivably survivable for her to be two miles from a Nagasaki explosion if she dived into the ocean and froze the water around herself save for a small living space. That's going to result in ice walls hundreds of feet thick, at least.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuro View Post
    Elsa's ice wall in Once Upon A Time was able to withstand fireballs, IIRC, and not have any part of it melt. So, it's not completely useless. And we know the ice she generates is able to withstand substantial blunt force without even phasing, as evidenced by Anna's statue not even nicking when Hans tried to cut at it with his sword. (In fact, it knocked it over)
    Had a look at Nuke Map(http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/) and dropped a Fat Man on the Brooklyn Bridge to get a measurement of the effects. Now, assuming the site is correct, at 3.2km(2mi.) Elsa is standing in the lower-intensity "air blast radius" which says,

"At 5 psi overpressure, most residential buildings collapse, injuries are universal, fatalities are widespread. Optimal height of burst to maximize this effect is 0.55 mi."

Should be survivable.

She also is inside the "thermal radiation radius," which says,

"Thermal radiation radius (3rd degree burns): 1.38 mi (5.94 miČ)
    Third degree burns extend throughout the layers of skin, and are often painless because they destroy the pain nerves. They can cause severe scarring or disablement, and can require amputation. 100% probability for 3rd degree burns at this yield is 8.9 cal/cm2."

Her ice walls should be able to withstand this alright.

As well as at the very edge of the "radiation radius," which says,

"500 rem radiation dose; without medical treatment, there can be expected between 50% and 90% mortality from acute effects alone. Dying takes between several hours and several weeks."

Possible FATALITY.

Another 0.9mi back and she'd be safe, having to absorb only the air blast and thermal effects but I don't think her ice has any feats for protecting her from ionizing radiation.

So, we now know how to 100% kill Elsa. And the obvious answer is GODZILLA.
    Last edited by T51R; 04-14-2015 at 05:17 AM.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

At that distance, once we start talking about her making ice walls a dozen feet thick, she'll be fine with the radiation as long as the walls withstand the explosion. The ice doesn't need 'feats' in this case, as it's a scientific fact that water blocks off radiation pretty darned well.

http://www.nuclearconnect.org/know-n...nce/protecting
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member

This thread makes me want to finally watch "Frozen." I just haven't had a kid to watch it with.

Just think of all the broken hearted little girls if Elsa dies in the nuclear blast. The horror, the horror...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    At that distance, once we start talking about her making ice walls a dozen feet thick, she'll be fine with the radiation as long as the walls withstand the explosion. The ice doesn't need 'feats' in this case, as it's a scientific fact that water blocks off radiation pretty darned well.

http://www.nuclearconnect.org/know-n...nce/protecting
    I'll say it again. This forum needs a like button, or something like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post

Just think of all the broken hearted little girls if Elsa dies in the nuclear blast. The horror, the horror...
    You just tell them that the moral of the story is "always wear your Gokuseifuku, have access to Spiral Power, be a Buster Machine, or master Hokuto Shin Ken."

Quote Originally Posted by T51R View Post

You just tell them that the moral of the story is "always wear your Gokuseifuku, have access to Spiral Power, be a Buster Machine, or master Hokuto Shin Ken."
    Or "have a fridge handy". Or "be Nolan Batman"

Quote Originally Posted by Kensei View Post
    This thread makes me want to finally watch "Frozen." I just haven't had a kid to watch it with.
    Somehow, that just seems to turn into, "Let's watch the first fifteen minutes. Then lets watch the first fifteen minutes again. Then let's go play. Now let's watch from one hour to 1:15. More playing. Now let's watch the end. Now let's watch the first fifteen minutes again."

Someday, I'll watch it alone and see the whole movie beginning to end.

And yes, Elsa no-sells a nuclear explosion. The wrath of little girls trumps Rumbles rules.