Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default So, Deathstroke...

From the way the Deathstroke June solicit reads, the gods on Olympus play into the storyline. It also seems like they make a return in the June issue of Wonder Woman.

Am I the only one who is getting this out of the solicits? Does anyone feel like there will be overlap?

It could cross over, but with just the info we have right now I don't think there's anything that points to one side or the other convincingly. Its food for thought right now, at the very least.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

I am actually concerned that their appearance in Deathstroke will end up playing out like most New-52 Deathstroke stories have and he simply charges through a window, spraying a hail of bullets and then ends up beating if not killing one of them.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I am actually concerned that their appearance in Deathstroke will end up playing out like most New-52 Deathstroke stories have and he simply charges through a window, spraying a hail of bullets and then ends up beating if not killing one of them.

Hopefully he ends up killing all of the Olympians so Wonder Woman's title doesn't have to be bogged down with a bunch of public domain characters ever again. #TeamDeathstroke
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Hopefully he ends up killing all of the Olympians so Wonder Woman's title doesn't have to be bogged down with a bunch of public domain characters ever again. #TeamDeathstroke
    Sometimes I wonder why you are even reading Wonder Woman.

Sometimes I wonder why you are even reading Wonder Woman.

Why? Because I love Wonder Woman herself along with many of her supporting cast and villains such as Steve Trevor, Etta Candy, Donna Troy, Artemis, Nemesis, Nubia, Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Psycho, Queen Clea, Dr. Poison, Silver Swan, Angle Man, Gudra, Baron Blitzkreig, the Mask, Osira, Blue Snowman, and many others. I just don't care to pay DC Comics to publish stories featuring characters that can be used by any other comic publisher. I'd rather pay them to publish comics featuring original DC Comics characters.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member

BORING! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind her fighting supervillains, but the mythology stuff has always been much more interesting to me. It helps to set her apart. Those other characters, well then she's just another generic superhero, fighting another generic rogue's gallery.

BANNED

yeah, another deathstroke massage ego like the time he defeated all JL. Olympians gods should defeat him easily

Tony teased a couple of things on twitter. I believe he said the God deathstroke is going against will be new. Hephaestus will be featured to provide weapons and WW will appear. But I don't think this will be a crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    BORING! Don't get me wrong, I don't mind her fighting supervillains, but the mythology stuff has always been much more interesting to me. It helps to set her apart. Those other characters, well then she's just another generic superhero, fighting another generic rogue's gallery.

See, now, that makes me wonder why you aren't reading actual Greek myths instead of Wonder Woman as her fighting characters and concepts from Greek myths is about as generic as you can get IMO since every other comic, movie, cartoon, etc. company can use them.

BANNED

See, now, that makes me wonder why you aren't reading actual Greek myths instead of Wonder Woman as her fighting characters and concepts from Greek myths is about as generic as you can get IMO since every other comic, movie, cartoon, etc. company can use them.
    Because we are all out of actual ancient greeks to write us more stories.
    Personally I am not that interested in the Superman-like stories the mortal foes provide Diana, because I'd be reading Superman or Supergirl if I was.
    And whenever we like it ot not, part of the modern Wonder Woman book's spine and appeal is it's ties to Greek Mythology, it's what makes Diana unique in DC as a story telling vehicle. And she's been doing it on and off for 80 years now, so taking them away would be like to take the detective out of Batman.

Anyways, so I really hope Daniels doesn't make Deathstroke go on a powertrip with this story and showcases him sneaking around the gods rather than head on confronting them. But if Daniels has invented a new one for him to shoot, I suppose it won't be a huge loss.

Because we are all out of actual ancient greeks to write us more stories.
    Personally I am not that interested in the Superman-like stories the mortal foes provide Diana, because I'd be reading Superman or Supergirl if I was.
    And whenever we like it ot not, part of the modern Wonder Woman book's spine and appeal is it's ties to Greek Mythology, it's what makes Diana unique in DC as a story telling vehicle. And she's been doing it on and off for 80 years now, so taking them away would be like to take the detective out of Batman.

Anyways, so I really hope Daniels doesn't make Deathstroke go on a powertrip with this story and showcases him sneaking around the gods rather than head on confronting them. But if Daniels has invented a new one for him to shoot, I suppose it won't be a huge loss.

I'm kind of hoping that Deathstroke does mop the floor with the Olympians so maybe some of the anti-Cheetah folks will realize that she's not a lame, under powered character but simply subject to the whim of ignorant writers. <puts evil horns away>

I probably wouldn't be so resistant to the mythological threats in Wonder Woman if they weren't featured so heavily in the past decade(i.e. Medusa, Circe, the Morrigan, the Olympian(from Simone's run), and the Olympians. If we saw a few years with nothing but Wonder-rogues, I just might welcome a mythological threat as a change of pace.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 04-14-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Mighty Member

Considering how good use Grant Morrison and Jeff Lemire made out of Frankenstein, I'm sure there's plenty of room for more good stories with greek gods. Especially if written the way Azz and Chiang did in WW or Eddie Campbell's Bacchus. Behaving like humans with the dial turned up to 11.

Etta could (as in should) go on a adventure with Dio to France. Where they'd have a good time eating and drinking.

I'm kind of hoping that Deathstroke does mop the floor with the Olympians so all of the anti-Cheetah folks will realize that she's not a lame, underpowered character but simply subject to the whim of ignorant writers. <puts evil horns away>
    She's mostly furry, naked and strong. I'm not sure how Deathstroke killing a bunch of gods would fix that for me.

Perhaps if she was given a new origin with Marsupilami in a freak accident involving Dr Zool and venom (The stuff that roids up Batman's Bane) then I'd be quite curious.
    Last edited by borntohula; 04-14-2015 at 12:19 PM.

BANNED

I'm kind of hoping that Deathstroke does mop the floor with the Olympians so maybe some of the anti-Cheetah folks will realize that she's not a lame, under powered character but simply subject to the whim of ignorant writers. <puts evil horns away>

I probably wouldn't be so resistant to the mythological threats in Wonder Woman if they weren't featured so heavily in the past decade(i.e. Medusa, Circe, the Morrigan, the Olympian(from Simone's run), and the Olympians. If we saw a few years with nothing but Wonder-rogues, I just might welcome a mythological threat as a change of pace.
    The big issue for Cheetah is that she's been depicted as lame and underpowered for so long now that it's sticking to her. If Daniels does a hatchet job with the Olympians, thats not going to change what people feel about Cheetah.

The thing is though, the Olympians (when they play the role of adversary against Diana) are Wonder Woman rogues and they've been this for so long... the first enemy Diana ever had was Ares after all. And they are unique to her and for the past 30 years been more and more suited to fight her. Like Batman has a huge assortment of enemies that challenge him cerebrally, because he's 'the most dangerous man on earth' they'd be stupid being in the same building as him. Diana has the Olympians who only really show up to bother her and her alone because of her faith and long involvement with them.
    This is why I think DC is slowly trying to pass on most of Diana's mortal foes to other heroes that fit them better. Like Dr. Psycho is a much better match for the psionically powered Superboy than one of the few people on the planet his powers can't affect. If Cheetah is destined to be a middle-weight sort of badguy/gal, then she is not going to do well against a superheavy like Diana, but is perhaps a formiddable challenge to someone like Green Arrow.

But I understand that oversaturation can be a problem, I feel the same about Darkseid and all his poorly written New-52 stories, I am just not sure I'd use it on the Olympians/myth, because it is a huge and diverse group of people and monsters, not just a single thing with many heads.

Am I missing something?

What does Deathstroke have to do with how Cheetah's power level/abilities are perceived?

As for the Deathstroke storyline, the idea of a new Olympian is sort of interesting?