Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Green Lantern: New Guardians #31 Discussion/Spoilers

Spoilers ahead!

spoilers:
    Kyle arrives into a mysterious planet

He discovers that everything on it has been destroyed

He learns that the planet destroyed its people because they were destroying it

Raga is born

Kyle manages to defeat him

A bigger menace is coming
    end of spoilers

Hasn't it already been established Mogo is female? Obviously, Justin Jordan didn't know since he has Mogo revealed to be Raga's "brother" instead of sister. Chalk it up to another editorial goof.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Hasn't it already been established Mogo is female? Obviously, Justin Jordan didn't know since he has Mogo revealed to be Raga's "brother" instead of sister. Chalk it up to another editorial goof.
    Mogo is both male and female.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Not a goof - Mogo is both male and female (or more precisely, he's kind of beyond the definition), and I tried sibling and sister in there, but brother sounded right.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Jordan View Post
    Not a goof - Mogo is both male and female (or more precisely, he's kind of beyond the definition), and I tried sibling and sister in there, but brother sounded right.
    The new gender thing for Mogo kind of feels weird the more I think about it. Mogo doesn't really need a gender since I've never seen those planets reproduce. So I would agree "he's" beyond that definition.

Not sure how I feel about Mogo outright killing something. I guess we don't really know much about the full story that took place, but Mogo always seemed like a benevolent being to me.
    -______
    |____.._|
    -.(-.O-.)
    ..____Ż|
    -ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

You're right, my mistake. I see where I got messed up. I couldn't remember for sure, so instead of looking through old issues, I googled it. Mogo's Comicvine page has it wrongly stated she's only female. In Green Lantern Corps 17, Fatality says Mogo is a being with both male and female sides. At least the wikipedia page has it right.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The new gender thing for Mogo kind of feels weird the more I think about it. Mogo doesn't really need a gender since I've never seen those planets reproduce. So I would agree "he's" beyond that definition.

Not sure how I feel about Mogo outright killing something. I guess we don't really know much about the full story that took place, but Mogo always seemed like a benevolent being to me.
    I actually think that's awesome, we don't have enough transgender characters in comics.

And this happens to be a FRIKKING PLANET to boot!

Really good issue. This issue justifies the White Lantern, which is great because it's one of my favourite concepts in comics.

That said, it does feel a bit pointless in retrospect. He raised a planet from the dead, it attacked him, he killed it again.

Always Rakzo

I think Raga will come back one way or another, or at least I hope so, he's way too cool of a concept to be destroyed.

... you hear me Mr. Jordan?

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Really good issue. This issue justifies the White Lantern, which is great because it's one of my favourite concepts in comics.

That said, it does feel a bit pointless in retrospect. He raised a planet from the dead, it attacked him, he killed it again.
    I liked the concept (and the one and dones in general on this title). It gives us some really good info on Mogo - an awesome character that hasn't been written about - and shows the struggle Kyle is having wrapping his head around being one of the most powerful beings in the Multiverse. The issue raises the always interesting question of: if you could do almost anything, what should you do (as opposed to what could you do) given that, unless you are a master chess player, you really have no way of knowing the ramifications. It sets up that struggle for Kyle going forward and might make him hesitate when he can least afford it.

And as to Mogo killing, I would think it's pretty likely that a planet would have a far different conceptions of life and death given that things live and they die on its surface on a daily basis. Even as the planet's "brother", Mogo would likely see it as a malignancy like cancer in the Universe (or like a blight on its own surface). No problem with Mogo being a cold-blooded killa when needed. For instance, if he is getting attacked and he changes his gravitational field and the attackers fly off into space and die then oh well.

I'm glad Mogo is genderless. Although it does set up a love rhombus (?) between Carol, Hal, Kyle and Mogo that could go a lot of different ways
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 05-22-2014 at 04:27 PM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I think Raga will come back one way or another, or at least I hope so, he's way too cool of a concept to be destroyed.

... you hear me Mr. Jordan?
    Raga is, like the Godkillers and Exeter, a concept I hope to come back to myself or somebody else will - one of the things I am trying to do is fill out the cosmic sandbox a bit for other people to play with.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I liked the concept (and the one and dones in general on this title). It gives us some really good info on Mogo - an awesome character that hasn't been written about - and shows the struggle Kyle is having wrapping his head around being one of the most powerful beings in the Multiverse. The issue raises the always interesting question of: if you could do almost anything, what should you do (as opposed to what could you do) given that, unless you are a master chess player, you really have no way of knowing the ramifications. It sets up that struggle for Kyle going forward and might make him hesitate when he can least afford it.

And as to Mogo killing, I would think it's pretty likely that a planet would have a far different conceptions of life and death given that things live and they die on its surface on a daily basis. Even as the planet's "brother", Mogo would likely see it as a malignancy like cancer in the Universe (or like a blight on its own surface). No problem with Mogo being a cold-blooded killa when needed. For instance, if he is getting attacked and he changes his gravitational field and the attackers fly off into space and die then oh well.

I'm glad Mogo is genderless. Although it does set up a love rhombus (?) between Carol, Hal, Kyle and Mogo that could go a lot of different ways
    There's a lot of backstory there that I didn't have time to get to - but Mogo killing Raga was the hardest thing he ever did, and not without trying really hard to save him first. But it's affected Mogo ever since, and is one of reasons he doesn't really socialize.

Like I said to Oscar, I'd like to revisit Raga's story again at some point.

BANNED

If a street can have a gender and sex identity, so can Mogo.

In the scientific terms, planets are usually give female designations. "sister planets"

Always Rakzo

Raga is, like the Godkillers and Exeter, a concept I hope to come back to myself or somebody else will - one of the things I am trying to do is fill out the cosmic sandbox a bit for other people to play with.
    Hey, good to know! I hope that you're able to explore more concepts in your ru...

NO! My secret identity!

Meh, whatever.

Mighty Member

There's a lot of backstory there that I didn't have time to get to - but Mogo killing Raga was the hardest thing he ever did, and not without trying really hard to save him first. But it's affected Mogo ever since, and is one of reasons he doesn't really socialize.

Hey, Justin, awesome godkillers arc. I hope they don't go off into limbo. Anyway, is this bigger threat coming going to be the Psions or something much bigger?