Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I think that speed plus soak wins this for Matt, mileage may vary, as someone wise has repeated often around these parts. Ip has some excellent hitting feats, but Matt makes a habit of keeping moving taking poundings that would kill teams of normal people, and he's got the definite speed edge here, so that'll reduce the number of shots he takes.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

My issue with Matt taking a beating from Ippy is that Ippy is shown doing stuff like outmuscling entire crowds of people, hitting people so hard they literally fly UP ten feet into the air, and slapping his way through a crowd of guys with swords, bending all of their swords.

Matt can't afford to take hits from a guy who is hitting like that. It's not like getting hit by Fisk; it's much worse.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    My issue with Matt taking a beating from Ippy is that Ippy is shown doing stuff like outmuscling entire crowds of people, hitting people so hard they literally fly UP ten feet into the air, and slapping his way through a crowd of guys with swords, bending all of their swords.

Matt can't afford to take hits from a guy who is hitting like that. It's not like getting hit by Fisk; it's much worse.
    Fair enough point. I guess I just remember so much more clearly where Ippy is shown not doing that then when he does. And I didn't like the movies enough to rewatch them, despite really enjoying Donnie Yen in general. :-)
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Fair enough point. I guess I just remember so much more clearly where Ippy is shown not doing that then when he does. And I didn't like the movies enough to rewatch them, despite really enjoying Donnie Yen in general. :-)
    I am not a fan of the Ip Man movies at all (like you, despite enjoying Donnie Yen). However, the feats are there, upgraded sizeably in Ip Man II (which is where the bulk of the insane feats come from). The thing is, all of the 'martial artists' in the movies are basically supposed to be above normal themselves (just look at the Northerner in the first movie, who does crap like literally jump 8-9' in the air from a standing start), so Ippy slapping them around is a little harder than against normal.

Against normals, there are times where he catapults them around like stuffed toys and bends their swords. Where he simply overwhelms a massive group of them by shoving them with a wooden pallet. Etc.

Even against the Northerner, he beats the guy up with a feather duster. He almost casually knees the Northerner when the guy is on all fours, no effort visible, and the Northerner flies off the ground, covering 8-'10' before landing. He effortlessly grabs the guy out of the air and windmills his body around, parallel to the ground.

This is already outside of stuff Matt pulls off, strength-wise, and done absolutely casually.

Skillwise, there's sone fun stuff with that; he uses the same feather duster to pressure point the Northerner and paralyze his right arm (it hits, the Northerner's arm freezes, he transfers the sword to his left arm, and doesn't use his right arm for the remainder of the fight) and somehow parries strikes from a very heavy dao with the same thin bamboo feather duster. Like, more 'blocks straight up' at times than 'redirects'.

This is in the first movie. Movie two just gets more and more ridiculous. He uses a wooden pallet as a weapon, spinning it around like a bo staff (it's truly stupid). He shoulder-bunts people and they fly 10' or more. He smacks someone and they do a 270 degree flip and land on their face. With a flexible bamboo pole, he hits a guy using a hardwood, 2" thick shaft rake of some kind, and snaps the 2" thick shaft of the rake with his bamboo rod (wth?). Speed? There aren't many speed feats, but one that sticks out is when two swords are caught in the pallet on the other side from the one he's holding (he's holding it up like a 'wall' in front of him at this point). He throws the pallet in front of himself so it spins - horizontally, not vertically - and casually catches the hilts of both swords, all before the pallet falls any appreciable distance. That's not catching arrows, but it's clearly out of a normal person's bracket.

I'm still pretty thin on Matt having any kind of easy time here. Yeah, there's a speed difference thanks to the arrow-catching, but it's not blitz-worthy and Ippy simply outclasses Matt - and Fisk - with regards to hitting power. Couple that with his skill, and Matt isn't facing anything of an easy fight.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 08-06-2020 at 06:05 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I am not a fan of the Ip Man movies at all (like you, despite enjoying Donnie Yen). However, the feats are there, upgraded sizeably in Ip Man II (which is where the bulk of the insane feats come from). The thing is, all of the 'martial artists' in the movies are basically supposed to be above normal themselves (just look at the Northerner in the first movie, who does crap like literally jump 8-9' in the air from a standing start), so Ippy slapping them around is a little harder than against normal.

Against normals, there are times where he catapults them around like stuffed toys and bends their swords. Where he simply overwhelms a massive group of them by shoving them with a wooden pallet. Etc.

Even against the Northerner, he beats the guy up with a feather duster. He almost casually knees the Northerner when the guy is on all fours, no effort visible, and the Northerner flies off the ground, covering 8-'10' before landing. He effortlessly grabs the guy out of the air and windmills his body around, parallel to the ground.

This is already outside of stuff Matt pulls off, strength-wise, and done absolutely casually.

Skillwise, there's sone fun stuff with that; he uses the same feather duster to pressure point the Northerner and paralyze his right arm (it hits, the Northerner's arm freezes, he transfers the sword to his left arm, and doesn't use his right arm for the remainder of the fight) and somehow parries strikes from a very heavy dao with the same thin bamboo feather duster. Like, more 'blocks straight up' at times than 'redirects'.

This is in the first movie. Movie two just gets more and more ridiculous. He uses a wooden pallet as a weapon, spinning it around like a bo staff (it's truly stupid). He shoulder-bunts people and they fly 10' or more. He smacks someone and they do a 270 degree flip and land on their face. With a flexible bamboo pole, he hits a guy using a hardwood, 2" thick shaft rake of some kind, and snaps the 2" thick shaft of the rake with his bamboo rod (wth?). Speed? There aren't many speed feats, but one that sticks out is when two swords are caught in the pallet on the other side from the one he's holding (he's holding it up like a 'wall' in front of him at this point). He throws the pallet in front of himself so it spins - horizontally, not vertically - and casually catches the hilts of both swords, all before the pallet falls any appreciable distance. That's not catching arrows, but it's clearly out of a normal person's bracket.

I'm still pretty thin on Matt having any kind of easy time here. Yeah, there's a speed difference thanks to the arrow-catching, but it's not blitz-worthy and Ippy simply outclasses Matt - and Fisk - with regards to hitting power. Couple that with his skill, and Matt isn't facing anything of an easy fight.
    Yeah, all extremely fair points. With that in mind, and Guy1's videos as always, I'd concede more fights to Ippy than I initially through. Matt will still take some thanks to speed, but even Matt's soak isn't taking bunches of hits from Ip, and Ip is going to land some of those hits sometimes.