Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    roz is clearly a dark-skinned woman of color.
    Yes, and Thor is clearly a dark-skinned man of colour.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    Yes, and Thor is clearly a dark-skinned man of colour.
    And it only took us 53 years to notice!

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

That's not the Avengers. Some Avengers are there, but it's a list of women Thor suspects of wielding Mjolnir.
    Yet Storm and Rogue aren't on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Yet Storm and Rogue aren't on there.
    Indeed they are not. You have the air of someone sidling up to a point...

roz is clearly a dark-skinned woman of color.
    Since when? She has the same skin tone as Thor and the other white characters in the book, her eyes are somewhat variable but frequently blue or green. She is a brunette, but that's about as close to 'woman of colour' as she gets.

As for her last name, it is a Jewish name, but there is no telling based on the comic so far how exactly her family has that name. Last names don't necessarily mean a whole lot in terms of ethnicity any more. And Jewish doesn't necessarily mean she can't be white, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Solomon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Solomon

Both have the last name Solomon, as you can see it means jack all to what their race is.

i see brown skin and dark hair, not lily-white skin and blonde hair............

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    And it only took us 53 years to notice!
    It's what Fury whispered to him. 'You are not a member of the Aryan super race.' Instant unworthiness.

Ah yes, because the entirety of the human race can be divided into those with brown skin and dark hair, and those with lily-white skin and blonde hair.

it is what it is. and if woman-of-color roz is the one transforming her body into perfect aryan warrior thor, then there is a major problem. it's offensive and says to people of color that they can't be powerful unless they transform into beautiful white people.

Ah yes, because the entirety of the human race can be divided into those with brown skin and dark hair, and those with lily-white skin and blonde hair.
    Obviously. My family is a mix of Irish, Scottish and Dutch on my mom's side, and Danish on my dad's. My family is mixed, but generally pasty white, that is what we identify as. There may be some First Nations or otherwise non-white blood in our family from way back (My mom's family immigrated to North America way back, like the 1700's, my dad's family only came over from Denmark when my dad was about 10) But... generally pretty damn white. I have numerous aunts with pale blonde hair and blue eyes, my maternal grandmother and one of my cousins was a redhead with the typical extremely pale skin. But my mother and father both have dark brown eyes and dark brown hair. I have inherited the dark eyes, my hair is dark blonde. Roz's hair being brown means nothing as for her race. if it was jet black, MAYBE, but still not necessarily.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Since when? She has the same skin tone as Thor and the other white characters in the book, her eyes are somewhat variable but frequently blue or green. She is a brunette, but that's about as close to 'woman of colour' as she gets.

As for her last name, it is a Jewish name, but there is no telling based on the comic so far how exactly her family has that name. Last names don't necessarily mean a whole lot in terms of ethnicity any more. And Jewish doesn't necessarily mean she can't be white, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Solomon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Solomon

Both have the last name Solomon, as you can see it means jack all to what their race is.
    Has Aaron said that the character name of Roz is in remembrance to Jack Kirby's wife?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by runguy View Post
    Has Aaron said that the character name of Roz is in remembrance to Jack Kirby's wife?
    I think because she has brown hair and her first name kinda sort of sounds like Rosa (a hispanic name) people assume she is of color, but I don't really think it's been confirmed...

Anyways, I doubt any non-Caucasian will be Thor because: Mjolnir will change the race of the wielder... to a white person... imagine the PR nightmare... Marvel have their moments but even they are not that daft...

BANNED

I look at her skin color before and after.... don't see much change....

I think the blond hair is throwing your perception off. Or maybe its the way the lightning illuminates her body.

Quote Originally Posted by solletaire View Post
    I think because she has brown hair and her first name kinda sort of sounds like Rosa (a hispanic name) people assume she is of color, but I don't really think it's been confirmed...

Anyways, I doubt any non-Caucasian will be Thor because: Mjolnir will change the race of the wielder... to a white person... imagine the PR nightmare... Marvel have their moments but even they are not that daft...
    I don't know if Aaron has said anything about why he chose the name, but Kirby's wife would not surprise me. Roz is short for Rosalind though, which is a European name. But again, that means very little these days, people name their kids things that sound nice, not necessarily based on their culture. All I can really go by is her appearance, and she looks white to me, she looks a lot like my mom when she was younger, but, as mentioned, with different coloured eyes.

I do think it would be tacky if she wasn't white and did become white when picking up the hammer. I just don't think that's happening here.
    Last edited by Raye; 04-16-2015 at 06:58 PM.

white and blonde.

non-white and non-blonde.