View Poll Results: THROWDOWN!! "ASSASSIN NATION PLOT" VS "ROUND ROBIN"

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • ASSASSIN NATION PLOT

12 75.00%
  • ROUND ROBIN

4 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Throwdown!! "assassin nation plot" vs "round robin"!

Time for The Throwdown!! I thought we would pit two multi-chapter arcs this time, both from the same era and both ostensibly an excuse for the title to ship twice a month back in the days when it was still a monthly.

"The Assassin Nation Plot", by David Michelenie and Todd McFarlane" ran for 6 issues from ASM #320-326 while "Round Robin", by Al Milgrom (filling in) and Mark Bagley, ran for 5 issues from ASM #353-357.

Honestly? I am not wild about either of them; I think they both pale next to other multi-issue arcs from that era like "The Return of The Sinister Six" but I know from conversations on these boards that both these stories have their fans. So let's do this: let the Throwdown begin!!!

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Artwise, I think it's a wash. McFarlane at the height of his powers vs. Mark Bagley just coming into his prime. As far as the writing goes, they're night and day.

Assassin Nation gets a little too bogged down in its own plot, I think. I like Michelinie's action-movie style twists for the most part, but over six issues, it just gets too twisty, and kind of disappears up its own butt.

Round Robin is much more straightforward, but also dumb, because who cares about a plot to make Moon Knight's sidekick into a killer cyborg? Not even me, and I like Moon Knight.

In short, I give it to Round Robin, because this panel makes me laugh every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Artwise, I think it's a wash. McFarlane at the height of his powers vs. Mark Bagley just coming into his prime. As far as the writing goes, they're night and day.

Assassin Nation gets a little too bogged down in its own plot, I think. I like Michelinie's action-movie style twists for the most part, but over six issues, it just gets too twisty, and kind of disappears up its own butt.

Round Robin is much more straightforward, but also dumb, because who cares about a plot to make Moon Knight's sidekick into a killer cyborg? Not even me, and I like Moon Knight.

In short, I give it to Round Robin, because this panel makes me laugh every time.

Nice analysis and I forgot all about that panel! Funny moment indeed!

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

"Round Robin" actually fell during the narrow window where I'd quit reading Spidey comics altogether, so I can't really comment. I'll have to see if it's on Marvel Unlimited.

As for "Assassin Nation Plot," I remember enjoying it quite a bit as a kid. It was rare to see Spidey get caught up in that kind of political intrigue, and if memory serves, it worked. I need to revisit ANP and see if it as good as I remember or if my young mind was playing tricks on me!

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

"Assassination Nation Plot" had Sabretooth, plus that wonderfully goofy McFarlane art. Unfortunately, I DID NOT CARE at all about the story.

"Round Robin" was dumber, with somewhat less enjoyable Bagley art, but I thought Midnight was a hoot, and Thunderball and Nova were fun guest-stars.

If I had to pick one, I'd go with "Round Robin," because the story was more entertaining, but I'm not crazy about either one.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I went with ''Assassination Nation Plot'' simply because I've yet to read ''Round Robin'' so...yeah that explains my choice LOL.

Thank you for this. I have much luv for the adult Peter treatment he got back in the late 80's to mid 90's. Assasination Nation tried be Winter Soldierish complete w/ the Cap appearance. Dave Michelinie was my guy back when. Winner.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I went with ''Assassination Nation Plot'' simply because I've yet to read ''Round Robin'' so...yeah that explains my choice LOL.
    LOL---you definitely get points for honesty!

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Round Robin is on Marvel Unlimited, and it's just been released in trade, too. It's goofy as hell, but it's worth a look.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    LOL---you definitely get points for honesty!
    LOL Well thanks I guess LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Round Robin is on Marvel Unlimited, and it's just been released in trade, too. It's goofy as hell, but it's worth a look.
    LOL Well if I ever get the chance I'll definitely look it up.

I'm going for Assassin Nation Plot, just on McFarlane! I can barely remember the stories, but come on, McFarlane vs. Bagley...

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    but come on, McFarlane vs. Bagley...
    Bagley for me.

I don't remember the stories well enough to pick a preference (I don't recall finding Assassin Nation Plot all the interesting though), but I'll take Bagley over McFarlane.

I'd have to go with Assassin Nation Plot simply because Spidey was looking mad stylish at the party in a suit and mask!

I also like how Peter was a bit tempted at Red Skull's offer. It just shows that even though he's as genuine as they come, he's still human.

BANNED

I don't remember a thing about Round Robin, and elected to skip it during my recent re-reading of ASM #301 - 400 (mostly since Michelinie didn't pen it). I did read it when it came out, and didn't care for it.

Assassination I had a hard time getting through, I found it kind of a slog. It just didn't really feel like a Spider-man story to me (like him letting Solo kill soldier after soldier). But I would go with that one for the McFarlane art.
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 04-17-2015 at 04:40 PM.

I'm rereading these to give a fair assessment. May be a couple days. Pretty busy.