!
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !

This was a flash from the past in a pleasant sense. This is supposed to be the Pre-Flashpoint Superman based on the summary in the back...but it actually feels like Pre-Loeb Post-Crisis Superman, which I'm fine with. I'm pretending all that New Krypton/Grounded nonsense didn't happen for the time being.

This was a visit with old friends to be sure. I've come to grow fond of New 52 Superman, especially in the past year, so it's strange seeing the Superman I spent much of my youth and teen years following his adventures. It's like seeing an old friend you left on unresolved and somewhat negative terms a long time ago. It's like old times one minute, then you remember how things ended the next...and you feel a little sad over what was lost, yet grateful for having known them.

One thing that stuck with me is that the guy I read now on a monthly basis, although he wears an inferior suit, is largely the same guy in personality. I know there will be some posters that will chime in and start the whole "MY SUPERMAN IS BETTER THAN YOUR SUPERMAN" or the "MY SUPERMAN IS MORE ICONIC THAN YOURS!!!" debate again somehow...but seriously...aside from some window dressing and history...it's the same guy. I'm guessing when we revisit EARTH 2 and PRE-CRISIS EARTH 1 Supes over the next month,I will feel the same there as well. Superman is Superman is Superman.

However...one thing...the ONLY thing the New 52 Superman is missing...is the Lois and Clark dynamic . God I miss them and their relationship. I'm sorry if this offends the WW/Superman shippers out there...but there is NO contest. I am hoping that this sells well enough that going forward editorial at DC comes to it's senses, ends the current publicity stunt, and begins to restore the REAL power couple of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. (hmmm next year is the 20th anniversary of their marriage.....)

It's a bummer this doesn't take place in Metropolis though, as I would have liked to have seen some more of the "old gang" cameo...particularly Bibbo...but we get non crazy non murderous Prof. Hamilton....who seems to have somehow got his hand back. They don't address how or why...although there is a throw away line where he refers to his "rehabilitation", again hinting that all the stuff with Overmind and Ruin did happen...but I have a feeling Jurgens, like most of us, are in no hurry to revisit the pile of horse dung that Superman and his books had devolved to in the decade ish leading to FLASHPOINT, so I'm ok seeing Ham be himself again.

The Flashpoint Superman shows up near the end, thinking New Earth Lois is his Lois he lost. A kinda creepy scene and of course the issue ends in a cliffhanger....to be resolved NEXT MONTH!!

Dan Jurgens does a great job on the story,although some of the dialog comes out of the mid-90's. Strangely it actually helps the vibe. Lee Weeks' art though is the highlight. Great stuff.

I enjoyed a visit with the past. Yeah, I'm more emotionally invested in the fate of Earth-0 Clark going into June (which two years ago I likely wouldn't have cared a whit about)...but if say, DC decides to revisit this Superman from time to time in the future, I'm more than ok with it, as long it's of this quality.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-08-2015 at 05:06 AM.

Only one I've read so far - 'twas fun.

A brief history, a reward of time together, but a curiosity (for me) as to what world/time ending event happened that Clark hadn't been aware of...

Astonishing Member

That was actually pretty good, completely different from what I was expecting. Though I do think Abin Sur alone would be trouble for Superman, not to mention Shazam as well.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

That was great.

And wow, that outcome with that really weird Flashpoint Superman was something else while Superman has his hands tied battling an entire group of the Flashpoint Justice League. Which I hope we get to see Superman finally kick ass of an entire league the next issue.

Superman is badass, stand up, and well written. Sadly, what I was thinking through out the issue is that this Superman will never be seen again. And that its a shame people have misconceptions about Pre-Flashpoint Superman. But at least Superman has been done justice. And at least got one final writer who's good and understands the character.

There was also the surprising appearance of Dr. Hamilton, wasnt expecting that. Especially since his usefullness was in the late 80s and 90s. Really felt proper and not like the 00s would be come. Almost as if nothing occured beyond those years.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    That was actually pretty good, completely different from what I was expecting. Though I do think Abin Sur alone would be trouble for Superman, not to mention Shazam as well.
    They're not the old Abin Sur or Shazam, though

Curious as to what they may have gone through since Flashpoint to make them so gun ready (and El so mellow in comparison).

The overall timeline within the bottled cities has been wondering:

Clark, Lois, Jimmy, and Emil have been in their bottled-Gotham for quite a while - long enough for Lois to be almost at term with her pregnancy and Emil to have built a Whiz Wagon, but Clark only now venturing out as a vigilante (although that is understandable as something happened that removed his powers (and the powers of other 'hero-types')), and it may be that until the deaths of those taking the dodgy-synthesised drugs there was no reason for him to venture out (which adds to the curiosity as to where the Bat-Crew and Stragglers might be).

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post

Curious as to what they may have gone through since Flashpoint to make them so gun ready (and El so mellow in comparison).

Clark, Lois, Jimmy, and Emil have been in their bottled-Gotham for quite a while - long enough for Lois to be almost at term with her pregnancy and Emil to have built a Whiz Wagon, but Clark only now venturing out as a vigilante (although that is understandable as something happened that removed his powers (and the powers of other 'hero-types')), and it may be that until the deaths of those taking the dodgy-synthesised drugs there was no reason for him to venture out (which adds to the curiosity as to where the Bat-Crew and Stragglers might be).
    Also, if perhaps some of the pre-Flashpoint Batman rogues were causing trouble in Gotham during that time.Perhaps Clark and Lois have been helping the GCPD and Gordon keep the city safe.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    That was great.

And wow, that outcome with that really weird Flashpoint Superman was something else while Superman has his hands tied battling an entire group of the Flashpoint Justice League. Which I hope we get to see Superman finally kick ass of an entire league the next issue.

Superman is badass, stand up, and well written. Sadly, what I was thinking through out the issue is that this Superman will never be seen again. And that its a shame people have misconceptions about Pre-Flashpoint Superman. But at least Superman has been done justice. And at least got one final writer who's good and understands the character.

There was also the surprising appearance of Dr. Hamilton, wasnt expecting that. Especially since his usefullness was in the late 80s and 90s. Really felt proper and not like the 00s would be come. Almost as if nothing occured beyond those years.
    Interesting question though...anyone wishing Roger Stern or Jerry Ordway got a crack at this? Nothing wrong with Dan Jurgens, but I would have liked the other two fathers of the Post Byrne Post-Crisis Superman to have been involved in what may be the last story.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 04-15-2015 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Creator-bashing

BANNED

Bat-crew still active, question, batwoman, huntress, nightwing...But city is on chaos so makes sense superman helping keep the city safe.

Lee Weeks art is wonderful, it remembers me of steve cummings on Wayward. Glad that Jurgens can close this chapter of post crisis superman;

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Also, if perhaps some of the pre-Flashpoint Batman rogues were causing trouble in Gotham during that time.Perhaps Clark and Lois have been helping the GCPD and Gordon keep the city safe.
    Perhaps, but the dialogue doesn't lend well to that being the case. It came across more like these were the first few times (at the most, as it seemed, to me, to be the first time out) of him doing the vigilante-thang. Maybe if it started with something like 'You're starting to enjoy this...' and Clark saying something about being active over the last few weeks/months

Cheeky bugger with a flame-thrower, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Bat-crew still active, question, batwoman, huntress, nightwing...But city is on chaos so makes sense superman helping keep the city safe.
    Based on what, though? There's nothing in this issue that establishes that the Bat-Crew are around and active.

There's also nothing indicating there is any 'chaos' in the city. The dodgy-drugs are a recent thing.

Lee Weeks art is wonderful, it remembers me of steve cummings on Wayward. Glad that Jurgens can close this chapter of post crisis superman;
    Agreed

Interesting question though...anyone wishing Roger Stern or Jerry Ordway got a crack at this? Nothing wrong with Dan Jurgens, but I would have liked the other two fathers of the Post Byrne Post-Crisis Superman to have been involved in what may be the last story.
    There will always be another story.

It's always: To Be Continued

BANNED

Based on what, though? There's nothing in this issue that establishes that the Bat-Crew are around and active.

There's also nothing indicating there is any 'chaos' in the city. The dodgy-drugs are a recent thing.
    Read batgirl, Question and Nightwing/oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    Read batgirl, Question and Nightwing/oracle
    Which is exactly why I underlined 'in this issue'.

There is nothing in this issue that says anything about any of the Gotham-crew being present and active.

Heck, Superman doesn't even seek any of them out when his powers return. He gives none of them a heads-up.

BANNED

Amen, I hear you.

I think Dan Jurgens was right for this to give him that extra and final oomph. A bold leave to show what this Superman was about. One strength Dan Jurgens had is that he could give a strong conclusion to a story. Evidenced here by how we saw Superman fight with no powers, meet up with lois, fight the Flash point characters, and that interesting ending. And his past stories.

If Roger Stern was on it I could see people complaining they have too much to read because his writing is more complex. And Jerry Ordway has a more sombre tone to his writing, but if he would have been on the arts that wouldve been killer. Ordway is probably single handedly the most technically talented artist to do a Superman run.

Why is everyone in freaking Gotham?
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!