Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Jurgens deserves respect for writing the most credible mainstream Superman in a number of years, but Freaking Weeks. If they ever wanted to bring the real Superman back, I'd kill for him to share with Guice or something.

You know a tie in is good when it makes you wanna read the actual event, or even touch Flashpoint.

Always Rakzo

Jurgens writes a rock solid Superman definitely.

Weeks is the biggest star though, his storytelling is excellent.

Not bad. Figured that number 1 would kidnap Lois just on the grounds of being confused as his Lois died.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Why is everyone in freaking Gotham?
    Good question. I kind of buy why Lois, Clark and Jimmy are there (there was supposed to be a conference in Gotham that Perry assigned them to attend) and the few Bat-character off course...but how will they explain all the Pre-Flashpoint characters that are featured in this story being in Gotham when that timeline ended? Why is Hamilton there? Hmm?

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Good question. I kind of buy why Lois, Clark and Jimmy are there (there was supposed to be a conference in Gotham that Perry assigned them to attend) and the few Bat-character off course...but how will they explain all the Pre-Flashpoint characters that are featured in this story being in Gotham when that timeline ended? Why is Hamilton there? Hmm?
    Yeah. I mean, Atom, Deathstroke, the Titans, and Wally West are also there.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I could buy some kind of crisis (lowercase) that had the League, Titans and other metas all meeting in one location for a meeting or plan of action or something, but judging from what Lois, Clark, and Jimmy's were there to report on, it sure doesn't sound like any sort of huge supervillain problem was in the news at the time of the doming.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

the JL too, everyone is there

Fantastic Member

Why is everyone in freaking Gotham?
    Eh, It's editorial shenanigans. There's only one Pre-Flashpoint City in Convergence and that's Pre-Flashpoint Gotham City. So basically everybody they wanted to use for this had to be there. Is it a little weird? Yeah, but I'll totally take it because I actually really liked a majority of these tie-ins, especially this one.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

Astonishing Member

You guys are looking for logic in chaos, it's just a mash up world where the writers can tell the stories they want to tell. I don't think they put much though into who is where.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Fantastic Member

The Speed Force issue said that the JLA had detected some kind of "chronal disturbance", and that's why Wally was heading to Gotham. I guess Superman wasn't warned about it since he wasn't part of the League by the end of pre-Flashpoint continuity.

Yay. Superman!

Jurgens surprised me. This was actually pretty good. That or I'm drowning in nostalgia again

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Yay. Superman!

Jurgens surprised me. This was actually pretty good. That or I'm drowning in nostalgia again
    Drown away!

After this...and depending on how #2 turns out creatively and story wise...I wouldn't mind to see a digital first "Mr and Mrs Superman" series by Jurgens and Weeks.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Gosh that was crappy. I mean, pretty much all of the Convergence books I picked up this week were unexpectedly lousy (with the thankful and expected exception of Rucka's Question), but after that fun preview I was expecting better things. But this was utterly bland, and so was Clark; I should have known better than to trust Jurgens to write a Superman that wasn't dull as all hell. And I wasn't expecting either Lois or Clark to die at all before, but after that "one moment" bit (one of the several really oddly out-of-character moments in here--as in, all the character moments pertaining to Superman when he wasn't just being gruffly righteous), definitely expecting one of them to not make it through. What a colossal disappointment. At least this Supes already had a solid send-off courtesy of Roberson.

Oh, and Weeks was good.
    Buh-bye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Gosh that was crappy. I mean, pretty much all of the Convergence books I picked up this week were unexpectedly lousy (with the thankful and expected exception of Rucka's Question), but after that fun preview I was expecting better things. But this was utterly bland, and so was Clark; I should have known better than to trust Jurgens to write a Superman that wasn't dull as all hell. And I wasn't expecting either Lois or Clark to die at all before, but after that "one moment" bit (one of the several really oddly out-of-character moments in here--as in, all the character moments pertaining to Superman when he wasn't just being gruffly righteous), definitely expecting one of them to not make it through. What a colossal disappointment. At least this Supes already had a solid send-off courtesy of Roberson.

Oh, and Weeks was good.
    What moments were out of character?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    What moments were out of character?
    Calling a group of crooks losers (not particularly mean coming from any other hero, but that's not a Superman line), complaining about having to "play the role of normal civilian" (even as a guy who prefers Superman as the real identity, that's weirdly detached and borderline condescending), needing to "wait a minute" to find out about the force that captured entire cities to spend some time with Lois when it's clarified they've had more time together recently than ever before (which would be perfectly acceptable if he was worried or thinking he might not have much time left with her, but his reaction seems to be more along the lines of "hey, Superman's back! Let's take a sec to chillax Lois"), and his little "you must be less than nothing" line to Captain Thunder.

Those are all a little too nitpicky to be particularly bad alone, or even collectively a gamebreaker, but when paired with Jurgens' Big Guy Super-Dude take on the character that left all the other moments too generic to have anything approaching real character from him, this wasn't any kind of take on the Superman I grew up with I felt I had any reason to care about besides wearing a better costume than the current model. I do hope everyone else enjoyed it.
    Buh-bye