Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxmcco View Post
    Love me some Superman vs. Shazam. But anyone notice how Supes was about to call Captain Thunder Shazam? Pre-Flashpoint, his name was Captain Marvel. Unless he thought it was Freddy.
    That's DC's corporate stance for you. Can't use "Captain Marvel". Also, Jurgens just spent most of the past year writing Shazam in FUTURE'S END, so it also may have been a slip up on Jurgens' part as well.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    That's DC's corporate stance for you. Can't use "Captain Marvel". Also, Jurgens just spent most of the past year writing Shazam in FUTURE'S END, so it also may have been a slip up on Jurgens' part as well.
    um...editors?

(It's kind of part of their job...)

Decided to have a bit of fun with this (excuse me):

'I have (several) questions...'

Why was there no mention of the other heroes trapped in the city being active?

Why didn't he go give them a heads up now that his powers were back?

Why didn't he scan the city and beyond before venturing out?

Why did he start to say 'Shazam'?

Why did he only venture out on the vigilante path now? (Read in isolation (since the other heroes aren't mentioned as active), it seems Gotham was doing really well for itself until the drug pushers brought out their fatal batch)

What world/time ending event happened that led to Brainiac nabbing the city...but seemed to not hit Superman's radar?

What took his powers away in the first place?

Another thing that's been bugging me (so to speak):

Why the heck was he wearing the suit underneath?

Cool image, sure.

Cool reveal, indeed.

...but the guy was sans powers for quite a while (from what we're told), so why did he venture out there with the suit on underneath?

Hmm?

Hmm?

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post

Cool image, sure.

Cool reveal, indeed.

...but the guy was sans powers for quite a while (from what we're told), so why did he venture out there with the suit on underneath?

Hmm?

Hmm?

Anyone?

Easy. It was established Post-Infinite Crisis that Superman's suit was once again made from kryptonian fabric, hense, tear and bullet resistant, giving him an extra layer of protection from normal ordinance. It wouldn't have protected him above the neck though.

The rest I don't really have an explaination for. I will chalk them up to..."it's Comics."
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-09-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Decided to have a bit of fun with this (excuse me):

'I have (several) questions...'

Why was there no mention of the other heroes trapped in the city being active?

Why didn't he go give them a heads up now that his powers were back?

Why didn't he scan the city and beyond before venturing out?

Why did he start to say 'Shazam'?

Why did he only venture out on the vigilante path now? (Read in isolation (since the other heroes aren't mentioned as active), it seems Gotham was doing really well for itself until the drug pushers brought out their fatal batch)

What world/time ending event happened that led to Brainiac nabbing the city...but seemed to not hit Superman's radar?

What took his powers away in the first place?

Cool image, sure.

Cool reveal, indeed.

Hmm?

Hmm?

Anyone?
    A wizard did it! Since magic affects Superman just like anyone else, he never noticed.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by maxmcco View Post
    Love me some Superman vs. Shazam. But anyone notice how Supes was about to call Captain Thunder Shazam? Pre-Flashpoint, his name was Captain Marvel. Unless he thought it was Freddy.
    Freddy/Shazam was the one in the red outfit by the end of Pre-Flashpoint. Captain Marvel had changed to a white one for a while before that and then lost his powers (although I think Freddy also had lost them in his final appearance).

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    (although I think Freddy also had lost them in his final appearance).
    Correct. Osiris stole Freddy's powers and was then killed by Sobek. There was no Marvel Family or Black Marvel Family in the DCU when FlashPoint began. They had been clearing the slate for a Shazam relaunch. Then the New 52 happened and wiped away all the history.

Incredible Member

Can't believe nobody said anything about the idea of Lois being Clark's mission control. That's a pretty good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Can't believe nobody said anything about the idea of Lois being Clark's mission control. That's a pretty good idea.
    I don't mind the idea while she's pregnant, but Lois is the type of character who has her own missions. She loves taking risks and being in the middle of the action. She's not one for coaching on the sidelines when she can play her own game on her terms.

Astonishing Member

Besides Superman doesn't need someone coaching him from the sidelines. He' not Batman and doesn't needs eight people to do one thing.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Besides Superman doesn't need someone coaching him from the sidelines. He' not Batman and doesn't needs eight people to do one thing.
    Exactly. It made sense in this issue because the dome had rendered Superman powerless temporarily, but I'm not sure it really works in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Exactly. It made sense in this issue because the dome had rendered Superman powerless temporarily, but I'm not sure it really works in the long term.
    No, it doesn't. It works in the context of this story, but a fully powered Man of Steel doesn't need recon...and a non pregnant Lois would be in the thick of it reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Also, I'm not sure Lois did much besides ask Clark what was going on. It's one of those things that might have sounded better in theory than practice.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    No, it doesn't. It works in the context of this story, but a fully powered Man of Steel doesn't need recon...and a non pregnant Lois would be in the thick of it reporting.
    Speaking as a heavily pregnant person, I can understand why she decided to stay back. There's times when you're that far gone that you have to accept that you might be more liability than asset when you're in your final trimester (as she obviously was, albeit also obviously her first based on how she was carrying it). I bet they only recently decided to have Lois doing background work, rather than directly in the thick of it. They implied that they've continued to write their articles but never attempted to shop them around. That DID throw me. I know there's a plethora of reporters in the area, but I would think any newspaper would want to contract out the top of the DP staff.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue. It was great to see the post-Crisis Superman return, even if it's just for this event.