Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

It was so good to see Superman and Lois again.

Having read most of the other Convergence titles for the week...

I'm really not liking what we ended up with.

Lois and Clark have been trapped for a year (along with a host of other people (the result of the 'cosmic nudges' of writers and editors)), but the issue (going by what we got and not by what people might try to put in through interviews) shows us Clark's first night out as a vigilante. We're given no insight as to why, other than it seeming to be a way of tackling some new (and deadly) drug-folk.

The structure of the issue, the dialogue etc, puts forward an otherwise peaceful Gotham...but the other issues show this not to be the case.

There's no mention of the other heroes, the problems faced by everyone, how they have been dealing with it...nothing.

And when the powers return, there's no affirmative action. Yes, Superman usually goes it alone, but Superman also isn't a dummy. This guy just spent a year powerless, doesn't know how that happened or why, and instead of seeking out those he knows are also in the city (Kara, Zatanna, Wally, Bruce) when his powers suddenly and inexplicably return (the removal of the dome is not an 'explanation', especially since a sudden return of said dome would likely render him and the others powerless again) he decides to 'go it alone'.

Again, yes, Superman usually goes it alone, but to do so in this situation is just plain stupid.

When I first read the issue (before reading the others set in the same city), I liked it. Now, I'm so sorely disappointed with what we were given.

*sigh*

One of the most interesting things you see here is how not at all dissimilar this interpretation of Superman is from New 52 Superman. Outside the costume and a little bit longer a fuse? No big differences. 90s Superman had just about the same amount of fire, which strangely enough the New 52 one gets ridiculed for because its trying to be "edgy". Plug the current Superman into this situation and about the only difference I could see taking place is that he probably would have thrown hands with Thunder a little longer out of anger over being attacked before a cooler head prevailed and he tried to talk sense.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    One of the most interesting things you see here is how not at all dissimilar this interpretation of Superman is from New 52 Superman. Outside the costume and a little bit longer a fuse? No big differences. 90s Superman had just about the same amount of fire, which strangely enough the New 52 one gets ridiculed for because its trying to be "edgy". Plug the current Superman into this situation and about the only difference I could see taking place is that he probably would have thrown hands with Thunder a little longer out of anger over being attacked before a cooler head prevailed and he tried to talk sense.
    Exactly my point i've made elsewhere. The section of fandom that is going "Ohmigerd!!!! Boo (or Poo in some circles)-52 Nuperman iz sooooo different from every other version of Superman evah! It's a travesty!!!! " either have not really read any new 52 Superman for a sustained length of time or are just intellectually dishonest and have automatically decided New 52 Superman =phony Superman no matter if the actual content of the stories say otherwise.. Personality wise he is definitely closer to the 80's and 90's Superman and classic Pre-Crisis Supes than the character had been for some time. The only difference is New 52 Supes is 25-29 while Post-Crisis Supes was by the end of the run anywhere from 35-39. Age mellows Supes just a tad I imagine, but not to the degree Superman was neutered by 2011. I'm glad Jurgens ignored the characterization that later writers gave Supes and just started writing his Superman again as he left him in 1999.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-13-2015 at 06:01 PM.

Well, he probably would have spent those pages with his eyes glowing red with anger as well. Seriously, New 52 Superman is always pulling the "glowing eyes of doom" trick. Classic Supes rarely did that, and when he did, you knew it was on. It's overused these days.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Well, he probably would have spent those pages with his eyes glowing red with anger as well. Seriously, New 52 Superman is always pulling the "glowing eyes of doom" trick. Classic Supes rarely did that, and when he did, you knew it was on. It's overused these days.
    It was overused BEFORE the New 52. That started in the last 10 years. That can't be laid at the New 52's feet.

BANNED

Along with the red eyes, its the poor writing thats consumed 2/3 of the New52 S. Often going into traits I've long listed many times before (bit tiring always having to list them). Things lacking such as being a leader, commanding presence, trying to reason more often, etc. Also not looking the part for the most part, so much so DC still cant figure it out how he looks.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    Selective memory. Artists' predisposition to giving Superman the red eyes came about well before the reboot. Like most things this Superman gets ragged on for, that's not a New 52 thing. And its mostly just covers anyway.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-14-2015 at 02:16 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Selective memory. Artists' predisposition to giving Superman the red eyes came about well before the reboot. Like most things this Superman gets ragged on for, that's not a New 52 thing. And its mostly just covers anyway.
    If memory serves, the first time the "red glowy eyes" thing was used on a cover prominently was SUPERMAN #0...in 1995. A full 16 years prior to the new 52. it just seemed to hit critical mass though starting in the mid 2000's.

I don't remember it being near as frequent prior to the New 52, but my memory may well be cheating me. I'll certainly concede that.

As for Convergence Superman #1, I love it. It felt like "genuine" Superman to me. In love with Lois, still trying to help make life better for others even without his powers, trying to reason with the Flashpoint JL... every character beat felt authentic to me. And the issue also drove home how much I miss the Clark/Lois marriage. I'm still hoping for a happy ending for these two in the second issue. Anything else would not be worth thinking about.

I've said it like a broken record to this point, but I'm hoping for a designated world in the "New 52" multiverse to be their new home among a host of other displaced survivors from the various domes. Play it up like a paradise world, kinda akin to the not-so-paradise dimension of the original Crisis.

Or make Lois and Clark the new caretakers of Vanishing Point, and baby grows up to be the first Linear Man.

BANNED

they are very different. compare this and the superman on convergence #0, fast to anger, punch first and ask question later, doesn't try to reason. this superman is trying to save everyone, not only his city

Bad comparison. Superman in this issue was taking on Captain Thunder, a version of Captain Marvel, a hero that Superman knows. In Convergence new 52 Superman is taking on Brainiac, a god-like villain whom is having his way with millions of innocent lives. I guarantee you Jurgens Superman would react to Brainiac the EXACT same way New 52 Superman would have.

And New 52 Superman wanted to save everyone too. That's why he was so angry in the first place, he wanted the people in the domes set free.

They're not that different. The big differences in characterization only show up when you look at the beginning of post-Crisis with Byrne, and the 00's when Superman was basically neutered. The Stern and Jurgens era though? At the time that was the closest thing we had to a more classic take.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-15-2015 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    The Speed Force issue said that the JLA had detected some kind of "chronal disturbance", and that's why Wally was heading to Gotham. I guess Superman wasn't warned about it since he wasn't part of the League by the end of pre-Flashpoint continuity.
    Or he was already in the city for the conference. But, yes, I think it's safe to assume every other non-Bat-character in the city went there because of the disturbance.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmcco View Post
    Love me some Superman vs. Shazam. But anyone notice how Supes was about to call Captain Thunder Shazam? Pre-Flashpoint, his name was Captain Marvel. Unless he thought it was Freddy.
    I see no reason why he couldn't have thought it was Freddy. Seems like a reasonable guess to make considering what he knew of the Marvel family at the time of Flashpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Why was there no mention of the other heroes trapped in the city being active?
    I'm not reading all the titles. How many heroes do we know are active? All the ones with powers wouldn't have had any. I know that stopped Wally from being proactive in any way. Aside from the Bat-characters, are there other heroes active?

Why didn't he go give them a heads up now that his powers were back?
    Given some time, he likely would've.

Why didn't he scan the city and beyond before venturing out?
    I'm not sure why he'd scan the city he's in. After being in it a year, he pretty much knows what it's like. As for not scanning before venturing out... well, it seems like standard operating procedure to me. He doesn't usually scan before he leaves. He might scan when he gets to where he's going, depending on the problem.

Why did he only venture out on the vigilante path now? (Read in isolation (since the other heroes aren't mentioned as active), it seems Gotham was doing really well for itself until the drug pushers brought out their fatal batch)
    I wouldn't say Gotham has done well for itself. Just that Clark noticed a particular bad thing going on and decided to try to stop it. Now, why someone else can't do it, I'm not sure.

What world/time ending event happened that led to Brainiac nabbing the city...but seemed to not hit Superman's radar?
    Flashpoint. Let's presume Brainiac basically pulled the city through a tear in reality.

What took his powers away in the first place?
    The dome. Or possibly Talos. And now that the domes are no longer needed, neither is the power dampener.

Another thing that's been bugging me (so to speak):

Why the heck was he wearing the suit underneath?

Cool image, sure.

Cool reveal, indeed.

...but the guy was sans powers for quite a while (from what we're told), so why did he venture out there with the suit on underneath?

Hmm?

Hmm?

Anyone?
    Because he's always Superman. Just because he doesn't have powers, it doesn't mean he has to give up the suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    Or he was already in the city for the conference. But, yes, I think it's safe to assume every other non-Bat-character in the city went there because of the disturbance.
    Kara and some of the others went there for a baby shower and weren't aware of any disturbance.

I'm not reading all the titles. How many heroes do we know are active? All the ones with powers wouldn't have had any. I know that stopped Wally from being proactive in any way. Aside from the Bat-characters, are there other heroes active?
    The comment you're responding to was made before I had read the other titles linked to this earth (and since then I have become more critical of this issue). I wasn't referring to 'active heroes' - the Superman issue made it clear that there were no super-powered people around (all rendered inert) - but, rather, to those Clark would know were around (we know from the other issues that Kara is one of them).

Given some time, he likely would've.
    He opted to spend 'a moment' with Lois over actually doing something. He took the time to watch the sun rise with her. How much more time are you suggesting he needed?

I'm not sure why he'd scan the city he's in. After being in it a year, he pretty much knows what it's like. As for not scanning before venturing out... well, it seems like standard operating procedure to me. He doesn't usually scan before he leaves. He might scan when he gets to where he's going, depending on the problem.
    Precisely because he's been in it for a year and because he would have known (whether independently through his (and Lois') own investigations or via Batman) that there were other inert-powered folk in the city (since the goons knew, Clark would know) and who they were. Since his powers suddenly returned he should have checked on others, especially those he would know to be potential threats.

This isn't a normal situation. He wouldn't even have to leave the city to know they were no longer on Earth. The stakes are quite different and securing things in the city should have been the first priority.

I wouldn't say Gotham has done well for itself. Just that Clark noticed a particular bad thing going on and decided to try to stop it. Now, why someone else can't do it, I'm not sure.
    As I pointed out in my initial comment, the way the issue was written was such that it seemed Gotham had been okay, overall, and only this recent dodgy-drug thing had been a cause for concern. The other issues tied to this earth have established that that was definitely not the case. This was where some decent expositional dialogue was sorely needed.

Flashpoint. Let's presume Brainiac basically pulled the city through a tear in reality.
    The only issue (from what I recall) where any problem in Gotham was highlighted prior to the abduction was the Flash issue. None of the others mentioned a temporal storm or anything

The dome. Or possibly Talos. And now that the domes are no longer needed, neither is the power dampener.
    Conclusions we can come to through what we know outside the issue, but seemingly something Clark never took the time to look into over the year...

Because he's always Superman. Just because he doesn't have powers, it doesn't mean he has to give up the suit.
    Again, the way the issue was written suggests that he was not an active vigilante until this happenstance-night. Contextually, it doesn't work. Besides, he's a regular human wearing multiple-layers of clothing (plus a mask) while running over rooftops - the Bat-Crew usually have heat regulators in their suits, regular humans would be getting hot very quickly.