Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "The Big Secret is Revealed" in Yang & Romita's "Superman" Run

Eisner winner Gene Luen Yang will continue to explore the themes he's known for when he joins John Romita Jr. on the DC Comics title.

Full article here.

The collar's gone? The collar's gone!

Please let this not be a mistake and the collar's really gone.

The collar is gone...wish the artist was gone too.

After Johns' surprisingly lackluster run, hope the ship gets righted here.

That does not look like Clark Kent.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Incredible Member

I've never read any of Yang's work but I'm nonetheless intrigued and excited. As for Romita's art, I don't really mind it at all. I know his uniqueness doesn't resonate with many. I subscribe to the notion that there's really no bad artist, just the wrong artist for the wrong book....well unless you're on the level of Rob Liefeld bad, then you don't belong in any book.

Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    The collar's gone? The collar's gone!

Please let this not be a mistake and the collar's really gone.
    Nah, it's just a sweatshirt.

Sorry.

Couldn't possibly be more excited for this. American Born Chinese was phenomenal.

Spectacular Member
    Octavius Core...wishing the doors would open...

Considering the first story line is called "TRUTH", will it be followed by "JUSTICE" and "THE AMERICAN WAY"?

BANNED

Wish the artist also changed.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Clark Kent is actually... Ambush Bug? Well dang.

BANNED

So a new haircut? wow

cold with this immigrant stuff

Quote Originally Posted by XchaiX View Post
    I've never read any of Yang's work but I'm nonetheless intrigued and excited. As for Romita's art, I don't really mind it at all. I know his uniqueness doesn't resonate with many. I subscribe to the notion that there's really no bad artist, just the wrong artist for the wrong book....well unless you're on the level of Rob Liefeld bad, then you don't belong in any book.
    Oh, Rob Liefeld definitely belongs on some books all right...

I love how even your open minded "different styles for different people" philosophy has a cutoff for what kinds of books should exist.

Similarly, JR Jr. probably actually has one of the larger followings for comic artists, although given that he's earned that appreciation over decades in the business, I'm not sure how many people who'd identify as fans are the type who are currently likely to follow him to every book. His is definitely a style that complements some stories better than others (and varies a lot depending on inker) but it's a pretty bold choice for a Superman book. It actually would have been pretty cool, theoretically, and definitely made a big statement if they'd held off on JRJr til Yang came on board.

Quote Originally Posted by MatchesMalone View Post
    Considering the first story line is called "TRUTH", will it be followed by "JUSTICE" and "THE AMERICAN WAY"?
    That would actually be awesome! If those immigrant themes organically came to the fore by that third arc? On the nose but imagine if it lived up to the title...

In regards to the costume....the sleeves and collar are both different, so unless someone has forced another wardrobe change, the image is either a mistake or its playing a game; it might be a Superman from another reality or time or a hoodie or something. But for those hoping to see changes or a return to the original design, I wouldnt get your hopes up. We just got a costume alteration. I suppose its possible, what with this being post-Convergence and all, but I really doubt we'd get a new costume, then yet another one two issues later.

As for what the secret is, it looks an awful lot like Clark's identity will be outed; the image, with Clark's clothes blown to hell and the "S" being revealed beneath, glasses all askew....someone is putting Superman's private life on display. And given the themes Yang works with, the idea of immigrants living two lives, I can see him playing a card like this and mixing Clark's peanut butter with Superman's chocolate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.