Super Moderator

Default The Greatest Supergirl Stories Ever Told

Upon hearing that a TV series is in development, CSBG revisits its reader poll for the greatest Supergirl stories ever told!

Full article here.

Retired

To me there are two important Supergirl stories:

1. The *ahem* "graphic novel" ACTION COMICS 360 (March-April '68) [80pg Giant G-45]--the complete story (but abridged) of Supergirl's days as Superman's secret weapon.

2. The Warworld trilogy in DC COMICS PRESENTS 27 - 29 (November '80 - January '81)--Supergirl doesn't enter the picture until the second part, but her presence is crucial to the third part.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

It's depressing to me just how few of these great stories I've really read.

Stupid "Time" and "Money" and there never being enough of them!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Probably the most gut-wrenching image of the Pre-Crisis Universe (CoIE #7)

Fantastic Member

I do wonder if this list would be different if it were made right now. I'm inclined to think probably not. Loeb's stories would probably rank lower, but just look at the sales numbers, the two arcs here are unambiguously the most commercially successful Supergirl comics of the last decade at least and probably even further back than that, so a lot of people have read them. Sterling Gates' run was well established by mid 2010 but nearly all of it had been part of New Krypton, it's hard to pick bits of it out as a single Supergirl story arc. And what have we added since then - some good stuff, some bad stuff and a lot of arcs which are decent but you'd never call great. If they'd let Supergirl's New52 run be like Azzarello's Wonder Woman and left it standalone with the original writers and artist we might well have a pretty solid three years of story by now, but we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Upon hearing that a TV series is in development, CSBG revisits its reader poll for the greatest Supergirl stories ever told!

Full article here.
    I have to say, the recent news on the new upcoming show..has me curious to look into some of her stories... Any recommends anyone? Seems like 2 have presented itself..oh I should say please mention Stories that are actually about Superman's youthful but great hero Kara and not The Matrix supergirl who IMO is not Supergirl. I just do not care too much for her.

Quote Originally Posted by devil leonx View Post
    I have to say, the recent news on the new upcoming show..has me curious to look into some of her stories... Any recommends anyone? Seems like 2 have presented itself..oh I should say please mention Stories that are actually about Superman's youthful but great hero Kara and not The Matrix supergirl who IMO is not Supergirl. I just do not care too much for her.
    I saw this list a couple of weeks ago, and it lead me to to trying "Cosmic Adventures in the 8th grade".... top notch light hearted fun. The only downside I found is that only way I could get it at a reasonable price was via digital download...certainly people want daft prices for the trade paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I saw this list a couple of weeks ago, and it lead me to to trying "Cosmic Adventures in the 8th grade".... top notch light hearted fun. The only downside I found is that only way I could get it at a reasonable price was via digital download...certainly people want daft prices for the trade paperback.
    I know what you mean, Finding some old apocalypse trades such as X-men blood of apocalypse or others seem....unreasonable..I thought trades were supposed to be affordable...

Quote Originally Posted by devil leonx View Post
    I know what you mean, Finding some old apocalypse trades such as X-men blood of apocalypse or others seem....unreasonable..I thought trades were supposed to be affordable...
    Yes. Saw prices in range 100 to 200 dollars. This for a fairly recent book, printed in high-ish volume (no doubt high volume in case X men books you mention). It's certain that price will collapse as soon as there's a re-print...I wasn't remotely tempted.

The strange (?) thing is that often original comics are available at a reasonable price. In the case of "Cosmic Advntures"...could get most of series at a reasonable price in original comics...but issue 2 proved elusive...so I gave up, and just downloaded from Comixology.