Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

Default 'Man of Steel' IS an Excellent Movie!! MoS Appreciation!

Have read quite a bit about the pros and cons of this latest installment in the Superman mythos. I have carefully perused various opinions and insights; I am a lifelong 'Superman' fan having been introduced to him through 'The Adventures of Superman' with George Reeves and have followed him through his various incarnations since. Chris Reeve embodied for a generation the ideals of the Last Son of Krypton tremendously; but after having watched 'Man of Steel' for myself last night, I found Henry Cavill to be every bit as much the heart and soul of Kal-El as Reeve. for the first time EVER the massive power of Supes was incredibly portrayed--the speed, the strength, and the heart of Truth, Justice and the American Way is as much a part of the character in MoS as in StM. I loved the updated take on Kal-El and how it would be a 'first contact' event when he revealed himself. Cosner's 'Jonathan Kent' was as moral and caring as the Glenn Ford or John Schneider versions. Of course, he didn't want the kids on the bus to have died and he did understand why Clark did what he did; he was just fearful for his son. All in all it was a wonderfully textured and very human portrayal of the Kents.

As to the end and the point that is most troublesome for many fans in MoS: the killing of Zod. It was not a first option for Kal--it was not something that he wanted to do as much as he HAD to do it. Zod himself had said he had been trained as a warrior all his life; he knew methods of combat and fighting that Kal has yet to learn. And he was so focused on preserving his race no matter what that he would willingly kill every human on the planet. As learned in ST:tOS the Kryptonians did have a right to exist, but NOT at the expense of the genocide of an entire race. Kal killed Zod as a last desperate attempt to prevent further death and destruction. Were he more experienced and more seasoned he may have found another way--but as the events of the movie show...he wasn't...yet. The torment and anguish he felt at having done this sorrowful deed ripped at his soul.

All in all 'Man of Steel' is on par in the mythos with 'Superman the Movie' and both ought to be celebrated and appreciated; for me it certainly cleansed the palate of the disgusting taste left by 'Superman Returns.' I loved it and will watch it many times, over and over. 'Man of Steel'--I salute you!

I loved it. Superman is faster and stronger than ever yet so vulnerable the same time.
    Loved the oil rig rescue, the first flight, the battle and subsecuent destruction of the world engine, Perry and Lombard attemp rescue of Jenny. Col Hardy and Faora's showdown. But most of all Henry Cavill as Clark/Superman.

PS: Ma Kent and Clark every interaction was awesome: Nice suit. lol

God I hope this thread doesn't turn into "MOS argument" version 6554.3...

Extraordinary Member

I have to agree, its freaking awesome.

Great special effects. Good music.

Overall it's a great trailer movie. It can be cut apart and almost any part of it can be edited together to make a great looking trailer.

There, that's all the praise that I've got in me.

BANNED

Liked it right up to the Ending. Was done well overall though.

I guess this means it's time to create an All Things MoS thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Hapless Henchman View Post
    I hope not either; my intent is a celebration of what I believe to be a truly excellent movie in regards to the History of Superman. I watched it with my daughter who thought it was also an exceptional portrayal of Krypton's Last Son (she also thought Cavill was the 'hottest' Superman ever).

Extraordinary Member

It was a fantastic movie, flawless.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Fantastic may be pushing it. It's certainly not flawless.
    Still, I can confirm after rewatching it 2 days ago that I like the movie. It's a very visceral experience, I feel, and for the most part it works.
    A solid 7 out of 10.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Man of Steel was GREAT!

I loved just about everything about it. They even managed to get me to accept the "Superman Killing Zod" scene by doing it in such a way that clearly showed respect to Superman's roots as an anti-killing superhero and showing that it was a difficult decision that he HAD to make. One of my friends saw it before me and, knowing my tendencies, tried to "prepare me" for what he knew I was going to see. He didn't even have to bother. The scene was so well-handled I just accepted it and understood what was going on enough that I actually loved that scene.

As Auguste Dupin says, calling it perfect may be a bit of a stretch. It had its flaws. But the good far outweighs the bad, and it was a great opening movie in DC's entry into the comic movie arena.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Hapless Henchman View Post
    I'm assuming complaints about the movie would be seen as off topic, since the title and first post of this thread implies this is for praising the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwathings View Post
    I'm assuming complaints about the movie would be seen as off topic, since the title and first post of this thread implies this is for praising the movie.
    Indeed Qwathings, very much indeed. I kept an open mind when I watched the movie last night; I was aware of the bevy of criticisms leveled against the movie (Pa Kent's remarks ands the killing of Zod); but I mostly found them to be somewhat baseless. As I had said, I am a lifelong fan of Superman even going back to his 'John Carter' days and I have found MoS to be on at least on a par with the Donner film of a generation ago. 'Man of Steel' is a truly powerful film. I enjoyed it immensely and to paraphrase the bard, "I have not come to bury MoS, I have come to PRAISE him."

Although, I will agree, the sequel SHOULD be 'Superman V Batman: Dawn of Justice;" it IS after all, Kal's sequel not Bruce's.

BANNED

It's an amazing piece of cinema, comparable to a Fellini or a Bergman, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    It's an amazing piece of cinema, comparable to a Fellini or a Bergman, really.
    Seriously? You are aware of what the OP said. If you don't like it, just don't bother.