Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Seriously? You are aware of what the OP said. If you don't like it, just don't bother.
    Then I demand someone makes a "Man of Steel ISN'T an Excellent Movie" thread for the rest of us!
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by !Pharozonk! View Post
    Then I demand someone makes a "Man of Steel ISN'T an Excellent Movie" thread for the rest of us!
    Well, go ahead if you want to friend (if you must); but you would be wrong...wrong, wrong, WRONG!! {the preceding is brought to you by a truly warped sense of humor--laugh and the world will laugh with you}

'Man of Steel' IS an Excellent & Exceptional Movie!! Share the joy of Celebration!!
    Last edited by CaptainLiberty76; 05-21-2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: can't spell

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think in many ways it was ahead of its time. Hope one day there's a resurgence in its popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    Seriously? You are aware of what the OP said. If you don't like it, just don't bother.
    I think a little sarcasm here and there can be amusing.

BANNED

Man of Steel is a good action movie, but a pretty depressing Superman movie overall.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I think in many ways it was ahead of its time. Hope one day there's a resurgence in its popularity.
    I think the problem was that it was a little behind the times. I think its acclaim would have been a lot greater if it came out in 2010 or thereabouts, but the post-Avengers landscape is a very different one. Lots of people (including me) would have still had lots of problems with it, but I think general audiences would have appreciated it a lot more.
    Buh-bye

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

It was OK, but after the long anticipation and the relative disappointment of SUPERMAN RETURNS a few years earlier, I was hoping for better than just "OK."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I'd give it a 9/10
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I'd give it around a 6.5/10. It had some decent moments and a LOT of potential, but most of it was just pointlessly squandered. In particular, I didn't think Lois Lane and the Daily Planet crew should have been in the movie at all (if they HAD to have a romantic interest, they could have used Lana - you could start building the relationship all the way from Clark's days in Smallville), and the villain should have been Brainiac instead of Zod. And the killing was something that would have been way more effective in a second film, once Superman has been established as a paragon of virtue and heroism, and much more shocking.

Fantastic special effects, Henry Cavill gets some excellent moments when the material allows for it, Russell Crowe was great as Jor-El, and the fight scenes were OK, even if uncreative and making Superman look like a chump (seriously, couldn't they do something other than having Superman punch and tackle? This is freakin' SUPERMAN we're talking about. For a concept so ripe for "WOW"-style action scenes, they were terribly underwhelming).

Still, I'd take Man of Steel any day over Superman Returns. Albeit, that's not a high barrier to clear...

OK, OK, something more positive. Um, I liked the costume? No, I thought it was stupid that it was a one-piece body suit. OK then, um...oh, I know! I thought Faora was cool, and the opening action scene on Krypton was awesome-balls, and Lois Lane on-board the Black Zero, with Jor-El as her "Cortana"...that was sweet.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Okay I'm going to try and divorce myself from the fact that I feel like they pretty much failed in capturing the ideals and inspirational aspects of Superman and focus on MoS as a movie.

As a movie, I thought that it had some good aspects, chief among them the special effects as well as the entire intro segment dealing with the destruction of Krypton and Jor-El. Also, I feel like most of Diane Lane's scenes as Ma Kent were pretty consistently great and that Amy Adams could be a pretty great Lois Lane.

However, I feel like there were also a TON of negative aspects to it from a film making perspective. For one thing, dear god Henry Cavill is an awful actor. He has the look of Superman down damn near perfect, but his delivery is just so wooden and boring. Go back and rewatch the movie and you'll notice just how quickly they cut away from his face after a second because he can't emote. Of course, it's not like the dialogue was really doing him any favors either as it was all just incredibly clunky and expositiony. Then there are the narrative holes which you could fly a plane through.

On the whole, I'd probably wind up giving the movie a 6/10 maybe 6.5.
    Currently Reading: Lazarus, American Vampire, Wytches, Descender, Batman, Sex Criminals, Rat Queens, High Crimes, Deadly Class, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, The Fade Out, Thor, Gotham Academy, Southern Bastards, Batgirl, All Star Section Eight, Injection, Howard the Duck, Weirdworld, Grayson, Midnighter, Prez, Hawkeye

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

It was a great movie.Not perfect,but quite entertaining and a nice start for a new movie Superman franchise.But i would prefer if DC and Warner focused their efforts for a Superman only movies,instead of using Superman as a mean to create a Justice League movie.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

It is a decent start to build an universe on. Quite boring at times but overall good. I liked the ending, it was powerful.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    I think the problem was that it was a little behind the times. I think its acclaim would have been a lot greater if it came out in 2010 or thereabouts, but the post-Avengers landscape is a very different one. Lots of people (including me) would have still had lots of problems with it, but I think general audiences would have appreciated it a lot more.
    That's if you believe The Avengers changed the landscape for the better. I think a lot of superhero movies outside of that franchise have a problem with sliding into grimdark, but I'd rather have a good movie over a light one, if I have to choose.

Unfortunately, the massive success there is now leading to an apparently bizarre new Superman direction and a JL movie with paltry set-up. Talk about behind the times.

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    And the killing was something that would have been way more effective in a second film, once Superman has been established as a paragon of virtue and heroism, and much more shocking.
    I think it's way better to pull with a "learning the ropes" Superman, because a paragon of virtue should be finding a way to make the impossible happen. I don't feel like the scene was as much to shock (and I know plenty of people will fight me there) as it was to show that yeah, he's a man. He can learn, do better, and be his best.

I like Man of Steel. I'd say it's a bit of an underrated movie, with some of the criticism being a bit off base. There are plenty of legitimate things to criticize about the film, but over all I enjoy it. It's nice to see Superman finally throw down with some powerful villains, the special effects are great, and the action is fun. It has a cool sci-fi, first contact feel to it which I think makes it stand out from the homogenized superhero films of the Marvel franchise (which I also enjoy). For what the film set out to do, which is put Superman in a world like ours, it succeeds. I like the portrayal of General Zod as a man out to bring his people back at any cost, including wiping out humanity to make room for them. I didn't mind the more controversial moments, including Superman killing Zod. Superman has killed before in comics, including General Zod. I would have had a problem with the killing if it was Superman's go to move and he just decided to go kill. Rather, he actually did try to trap Zod in the Phantom Zone first and exhausted his options before coming to the conclusion that he had to kill Zod. It was a desperate last resort and I was ok with that.

I think that Zack Snyder and WB feel that a superhero movie can only be successful if it's more realistic and believable. Just look at the Batman franchise, which took a more realistic look at Batman. Note, I say more realistic not realistic. That's what MOS set out to do and it did it rather well. Though personally, I don't think Superman is the kind of character that you should try to make realistic. I want to be brought into Superman's world, not have him brought into mine. It's those fantastic, impossible, and out there ideas that make Superman so much fun for me. He arm wrestles gods and battles not just evil, but the very idea of evil in the 5th Dimension. He does the impossible, like lifting a book with infinite pages. That's what I want to see. I don't need a realistic take on Superman, I need a fun take. I got the impression that Snyder wanted the theme of MOS to be hope, but it fails to deliver that theme. It succeeds in being a cool sci-fi film, but misses the mark a little on being a Superman movie. Granted, there is plenty in MOS that shows they did their homework and put lots of stuff from Superman's history into the film. The half hour opening on Krypton was just great. MOS is certainly the best offering on film that we've had in a long time. It does get some things right.

Fantastic Member

I enjoyed the hell out of it.

I did and still do at times enjoy the soundtrack but as an band student it was repetitive almost immediately.
    Last edited by jaybay; 05-22-2014 at 11:43 AM.