Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    One thing I truly enjoyed about MoS; it was the first time that Kal-El's power--his strength--was so tremendously portrayed. The earlier movies did a good job setting him apart from humans("Bad vibrations?" anyone?); and Superman 2 with the Zone criminals had some excellent moments. But for the first time the depth and breadth of his strength was well portrayed. The school bus, the oil rig, being tossed through buildings--all of it captured the POWER of Krypton's Last Son exceptionally. Man of Steel IS an excellent movies and does a great job showing the character, compassion, and power of Superman.
    Totally agree.

That movie FELT like a Superman movie. His punches, his flying, his use of heat vision? It was like watching one of his best comic battles coming to life. I especially loved that moment where he used his heat vision defensively by melting that I-beam that Zod was about to smack him with. A classic Superman stunt: taking his most destructive power and using it in a way that only disarms an opponent without hurting anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I loved Man of Steel! It is the Superman movie I've been wanting my whole life to see!

It was Superman, he used a jaw-dropping array of Super-powers, he saved the entire Earth! The action sequences were epic as hell!

P.S. Sorry for the the '!'s. I REALLY liked it!
    Enthusiasm for Superman in general and this movie in specific is never unwelcome or inappropriate! Especially not on this board!
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The biggest complaints are usually the portrayal of Pa Kent and the killing of Zod. I don't care what was in the Director's Cut of Superman II, throughout my childhood I believed that Superman killed the Phantom Zone criminals and I'm sure the vast majority of people who've seen that movie think the same.
    I've never met anyone outside of these boards who even so much as considered the possibility that anyone was killed at the end of that movie.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    There's nothing evil about teaching your kids self preservation. .
    It does leave one to wonder where Clark learned lessons about self sacrifice and working for the betterment of humanity though. In the end Clark does the right thing, but there is little in the story to ground his motivation for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    It does leave one to wonder where Clark learned lessons about self sacrifice and working for the betterment of humanity though. In the end Clark does the right thing, but there is little in the story to ground his motivation for doing so.
    But one moment where the man who taught him how to be a man had a single moment of doubt is grounds for believing that ALL Jonathan taught Clark was how to be a selfish coward?

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

All-New Member

As much as I like the Kents, and want to applaud good parenting, I don't think good parenting alone is responsible for Clark becoming Superman. I know there are elseworld stories of him being raised by other people that go against my point of view. But, I'm basing my point of view on the fact that when the character began, he was Clark Kent, orphan. He was not adopted, but raised in an orphanage. Without the Kents, he still became Superman. It's true, this version of Jonathon Kent is not a shining example, but despite that, Clark still goes on to save many lives.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    But one moment where the man who taught him how to be a man had a single moment of doubt is grounds for believing that ALL Jonathan taught Clark was how to be a selfish coward?
    Where is it shown he taught his son anything different?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by christinereed View Post
    As much as I like the Kents, and want to applaud good parenting, I don't think good parenting alone is responsible for Clark becoming Superman. I know there are elseworld stories of him being raised by other people that go against my point of view. But, I'm basing my point of view on the fact that when the character began, he was Clark Kent, orphan. He was not adopted, but raised in an orphanage. Without the Kents, he still became Superman. It's true, this version of Jonathon Kent is not a shining example, but despite that, Clark still goes on to save many lives.
    I think Clark was taught right from wrong in MOS I just think they didn't give Jonathan that moment like they did in Superman The Movie. Jonathan was just as worried that they would take Clark away when he was younger and experiment on him in Superman The Movie and said so in his talk with Clark but he realized that it was up to Clark to do what he feels he needs to.

Pa Kent is basically the same character in both movies just one had that moment of realizing that he can't shelter Clark any longer and the other never go the chance to do so.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 06-03-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Children do as they see their parents doing not as their parents talk about

Where is it shown he taught his son anything different?
    Where is it shown that he didn't?

He wandered the world helping people and was willing to sacrifice himself in order to save the people of Earth from Zod. Do you really mean to tell me he did all of this IN SPITE of what his dad taught him?

A moment of doubt is not a defining moment. Especially not when that moment of doubt concerns the safety of your child.

And once again? He said "Maybe." Not "Yes." He was really only voicing HIS OWN inner turmoil.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Where is it shown that he didn't?

He wandered the world helping people and was willing to sacrifice himself in order to save the people of Earth from Zod. Do you really mean to tell me he did all of this IN SPITE of what his dad taught him?

A moment of doubt is not a defining moment. Especially not when that moment of doubt concerns the safety of your child.

And once again? He said "Maybe." Not "Yes." He was really only voicing HIS OWN inner turmoil.
    A moment of inspiration is a defining moment though, and was lacking from pa Kent I in this movie. Are you suggesting that no good child ever came from bad parents, or did not develop moral standards differing from their parents?

All-New Member

Loving the discussions here.

Man of Steel is by far MY PERSONAL Favourite comic book movie (and possibly movie). At the time of its release, I had always enjoyed comic book movies and attended my local cinema to watch live action adaptations of our favourite hero's, but I wasn't really a reader of the "source" material.

Man of Steel completely caught me by surprise. I had always known superman as the winking, smiling boy-scout seen in the forever loved Christopher Reeve movies, or the smart A#S/cocky Superman seen in Lego Batman videogames. But Man of Steel completely changed my opinion of the character.

I realize that a lot of people were p!#sy with the Zod situation, but I didn't see it as a huge thing in the grand scheme of things. I'm not extremely knowledgable in the history of Superman, but I really don't recall Superman having a strict moral code of no killing. Obviously Batman does, but never knew the Boy-scout did too??

Whilst some might see the film as a 2hour long smash-athon disaster movie, I felt that Snyder and Co made the character cool for me.

I truly believe that the final moments of MOS will be justified in BVSOJ. Bring it on!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TVH11 View Post
    Loving the discussions here.

Man of Steel is by far MY PERSONAL Favourite comic book movie (and possibly movie). At the time of its release, I had always enjoyed comic book movies and attended my local cinema to watch live action adaptations of our favourite hero's, but I wasn't really a reader of the "source" material.

Man of Steel completely caught me by surprise. I had always known superman as the winking, smiling boy-scout seen in the forever loved Christopher Reeve movies, or the smart A#S/cocky Superman seen in Lego Batman videogames. But Man of Steel completely changed my opinion of the character.

I realize that a lot of people were p!#sy with the Zod situation, but I didn't see it as a huge thing in the grand scheme of things. I'm not extremely knowledgable in the history of Superman, but I really don't recall Superman having a strict moral code of no killing. Obviously Batman does, but never knew the Boy-scout did too??

Whilst some might see the film as a 2hour long smash-athon disaster movie, I felt that Snyder and Co made the character cool for me.

I truly believe that the final moments of MOS will be justified in BVSOJ. Bring it on!
    I am with you. Best superhero movie since the Darknight well in my opinion of course.

I've never met anyone outside of these boards who even so much as considered the possibility that anyone was killed at the end of that movie.
    Really? I remember watching it as a little kid and my friends and I agreeing that it was cool when Superman chucked Zod to his death and Lois punched Ursa. We agreed that Non just sort of falling in was kind of goofy though. Judging by the lengths of their screams, they must have fallen a hundred metres or more. No one seemed all that upset about it. I find it weird that Zod's death is even an issue.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

You're not the first to say that, and guys. C'mon. It was almost startlingly obvious. They really went out of their way to make clear what was going on there.
    Buh-bye

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    You're not the first to say that, and guys. C'mon. It was almost startlingly obvious. They really went out of their way to make clear what was going on there.
    Indeed they did. Superman crushed Zod's hand, picked him up and threw him 20 feet across the room, then Zod fell through the mist and his voice trailed off without ever hitting the bottom, same as Non and Ursa.

It was painfully obvious what happened in the theatrical release; the conquerers of America and the world were summarily executed for their crimes against humanity. Back in 1980, nobody cared and I've never heard of anyone arguing otherwise until the ending of MoS leaked out and people pointed out Superman killed before in the movies.

Superman also killed Nuclear Man in Quest for Peace.