Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

I don't understand why some people say MOS was uninspiring. Like every 15 minutes there was a great inspiring scene or a line in it, just like that one^^. Yea, maybe it didn't have to much humor, but c'mon, Superman is mainly funny either when he's talking with his fellow Justice League members, joking with Lois or as a Daily Planet reporter. He just barely met Lane, so there wasn't much time for that, especially when an alien SWAT team is trying to destroy Earth. There was no JL in that movie, and he becomes a reporter only at the very end. So really, I think we have to wait for the next movie to see some humor from Kal-El

I can appreciate S:TM as a classic, but for me MOS is the best Superman film, and a great way to start DC Cinematic Universe.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vooyt View Post
    I don't understand why some people say MOS was uninspiring. Like every 15 minutes there was a great inspiring scene or a line in it, just like that one^^. Yea, maybe it didn't have to much humor, but c'mon, Superman is mainly funny either when he's talking with his fellow Justice League members, joking with Lois or as a Daily Planet reporter. He just barely met Lane, so there wasn't much time for that, especially when an alien SWAT team is trying to destroy Earth. There was no JL in that movie, and he becomes a reporter only at the very end. So really, I think we have to wait for the next movie to see some humor from Kal-El

I can appreciate S:TM as a classic, but for me MOS is the best Superman film, and a great way to start DC Cinematic Universe.
    This.

Every. Single. Word. Of this.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Agreed ^^ They'll probably have much more room for humor (though I'm sure there won't be oodles of it, which won't bother me) when these characters are better established within the films. We only really got to see Clark, Lois and a few other people interact, so the next movie might leave more room for more interactions, humor, etc.

"You're dead!"- Soldier
    "You first"- Lightning, Final Fantasy XIII

"Yes, boo, cause this is Calvin Klein and I don't play that ****" - Tanisha

"You look like a fairy princess...that resides over the pits of hell." - New York

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

The fact that we got to see a Superman movie with Jax-Ur and a destroyed Wegthor in it made this the best Superman movie EVER for me lol. I wish they could have used the theme from the previous set of movies though. If James Bond can keep his theme so can Superman!

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    The fact that we got to see a Superman movie with Jax-Ur and a destroyed Wegthor in it made this the best Superman movie EVER for me lol. I wish they could have used the theme from the previous set of movies though. If James Bond can keep his theme so can Superman!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuGyUBJpg-U

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I totally agree.

Don't get me wrong: I liked the MoS soundtrack. But I was waiting to hear that classic theme, or at least something very like it, at some point, and it was a little disappointing that it never happened.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Yea, maybe it didn't have to much humor, but c'mon, Superman is mainly funny either when he's talking with his fellow Justice League members, joking with Lois or as a Daily Planet reporter.
    Jerry Siegel tried to make humor an important element in many of his Superman stories.

BANNED

Agreed. That and a refreshing take on the character.

Today HBO latin america is showing Man Of Steel for the first time. I'm watching it one more time.

Rewatching it the pa Kent death scene actually works for me. When you watch it as a whole. Everything that was going on in the car just before they found the crowd and the hurricane. How pa Kent handles the litte girl to Clark and goes to get the dog.
    Last edited by Francisco; 08-30-2014 at 07:47 PM.

All-New Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    Have read quite a bit about the pros and cons of this latest installment in the Superman mythos. I have carefully perused various opinions and insights; I am a lifelong 'Superman' fan having been introduced to him through 'The Adventures of Superman' with George Reeves and have followed him through his various incarnations since. Chris Reeve embodied for a generation the ideals of the Last Son of Krypton tremendously; but after having watched 'Man of Steel' for myself last night, I found Henry Cavill to be every bit as much the heart and soul of Kal-El as Reeve. for the first time EVER the massive power of Supes was incredibly portrayed--the speed, the strength, and the heart of Truth, Justice and the American Way is as much a part of the character in MoS as in StM. I loved the updated take on Kal-El and how it would be a 'first contact' event when he revealed himself. Cosner's 'Jonathan Kent' was as moral and caring as the Glenn Ford or John Schneider versions. Of course, he didn't want the kids on the bus to have died and he did understand why Clark did what he did; he was just fearful for his son. All in all it was a wonderfully textured and very human portrayal of the Kents.

As to the end and the point that is most troublesome for many fans in MoS: the killing of Zod. It was not a first option for Kal--it was not something that he wanted to do as much as he HAD to do it. Zod himself had said he had been trained as a warrior all his life; he knew methods of combat and fighting that Kal has yet to learn. And he was so focused on preserving his race no matter what that he would willingly kill every human on the planet. As learned in ST:tOS the Kryptonians did have a right to exist, but NOT at the expense of the genocide of an entire race. Kal killed Zod as a last desperate attempt to prevent further death and destruction. Were he more experienced and more seasoned he may have found another way--but as the events of the movie show...he wasn't...yet. The torment and anguish he felt at having done this sorrowful deed ripped at his soul.

All in all 'Man of Steel' is on par in the mythos with 'Superman the Movie' and both ought to be celebrated and appreciated; for me it certainly cleansed the palate of the disgusting taste left by 'Superman Returns.' I loved it and will watch it many times, over and over. 'Man of Steel'--I salute you!
    agreed totally loved MoS Superman The Animated Series was my favorite version but Caville captured the decency of Superman great film.

Spectacular Member

I enjoyed MOS, and feel it is what Superman needs now. Look Chris Reeves will always be my Superman, but I don't need someone else riding his jock strap (sorry Brandon Routh), which is why I did not like Superman Returns. And that scene with Jonathan Kent in the tornado moved me to tears (Kevin Costner was great, and I hope we can see more of his Pa Kent at some point). I am optimistic after MOS that BvS will be awesome.

Even as the bar keeps getting raised for comic book movies, I can't for the life of me understand why Man of Still gets so much hate. I don't see how anybody can put a movie like Superman Returns and Man of Steel side-by-side and call it push. Man of Steel had everything anyone could want in a Superman movie. It had heart, it had drama, it had passion, and it had action. At no point was Superman, Lois Lane, General Zod, or any character made too different from the source material. Compared to how badly movies like Elektra, Catwoman, and the entire X-men franchise have butchered their characters, Man of Steel deserves a great deal of credit on that alone. After seeing Man of Steel, I put it above all three Iron Man movies and nearly every other comic book movie except for Avengers and the Dark Knight. Now I think Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy exceeded it, but Man of Steel still deserves to be in the conversation for one of the best movie adaptations of all time. I even went on a long, angry rant about it on my blog. So rather than just repeat myself, here's a link to my official review of Man of Steel. I think it'll convey everything I need to convey with respect to this movie.

Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member

Neither can I, Zod is better than most of the MCU villains.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Man of Steel had everything anyone could want in a Superman movie.
    It didn't have Krypto.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Neither can I, Zod is better than most of the MCU villains.
    Him and Faora were what I wanted in a Phase 2 MCU villain. Well excluding Loki and Hydra as I put the two of them in a protective little bubble when comparing the other MCU villains, who were either bland or just plain crap.