Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Man of Steel was my favorite movie of 2013, and I personally believe it was also the 2nd best Comic Book Film ever made (The Dark Knight taking top spot of course).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    Well, go ahead if you want to friend (if you must); but you would be wrong...wrong, wrong, WRONG!! {the preceding is brought to you by a truly warped sense of humor--laugh and the world will laugh with you}

'Man of Steel' IS an Excellent & Exceptional Movie!! Share the joy of Celebration!!
    It really isn't, it has a particular five minute scene that sort of destroys what was established before and sort of makes the movie worse than it should be. It was pretty great as a Superman and a Sci Fi movie for like 97% of it, but that's one heavy 3% that tilts the balance for me, it's like a 3/5 for me, would a 4, maybe 4.5 if it wasn't for that scene. But I'm glad you find so much joy in it, wish I did walking out of that theatre. .

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I thought it was a very, very good first outing for a new franchise. There were definitely some flaws, but considering the average standard of Summer blockbusters, I think this is head and shoulders above most. With the exceptions of Avengers and TWS, I liked this more than most of the Marvel movies, which have always struck me as just time wasters to set up each new Avengers outing.

I honestly don't understand the backlash this film gets. Some people act like Snyder and Goyer ran over their dog or something.

I enjoyed it immensely. Sure it had issues, but its hard to find a movie that doesn't. I'm very much looking forward to Dawn of Justice.

Astonishing Member

I watched it for the second time since theaters the other night. I made the mistake, though, of watching it on my computer rather than waiting and watching it on my brother's 50" Sony. I've got a 10 year old monitor ... it did not do the SFX justice. I remember being staggered by them in the theater.

There was some stuff I found dubious, though. I thought the flashback interspersing was a sensible idea, but used too often. Like, no individual flashback to give context or relevancy to the stuff Clark was going through in the present was placed in the wrong spot ... but there were too many, in a movie that already starts on a different planet, for 20 minutes, where our character is just a baby. I like the Krypton stuff a lot, nitpicks aside, it felt like properly realized sci-fi. But structurally, if you're going to start your movie - already an origin story, with sort of another origin story as a prologue, maybe trying to ape Batman Begins discontinuous flashback narrative is a mistake. Once or twice would have been enough, but it was ... let's see, the school, the school bus, the warehouse, the tornado. Four times. Batman Begins juggled better, because ostensibly it only had three flashbacks - meet kid and girl and parents, see parents die ... meet college grad, see him at rock bottom seeking revenge, running away, insanely rapid montage of the learning experience and crime that put him in Chinese jail. Actually it's more like two extensive flashbacks.

It's a Goyer pitfall. * Writing pitfall. He's apparently got some speaking pitfalls now, too. But he tries to get too clever, structurally. All the plot points and beats have information provided that explain them. The pace is swift but an attentive viewer won't miss a lot of subtle non-such, it's all laid out pretty well. But structurally, the only time you get away with style over substance in your framing is when Chris Nolan's directing it. Memento, Inception, Prestige ... exercises in structural trickery and clever framing - admittedly, some of it comes down to editing. But while it wasn't as structurally, foundationally efficient as Batman Begins, it wasn't an egregious offender. If somebody remotely likes it and gives it a second watch, it's pretty rewarding, small beats you might've forgotten in the flurry of a climax become apparent upon rewatch, and you don't forget them after that.

Also, in the credits, Jenny isn't listed as having a last name, let alone being an Olsen.

There's some real high points for me, including a weirdly specific love I have for Clark trading up, being raised on a planet where they've ruined the environment and wrecked the place, and landing in a pastoral setting, and a pretty decent model for sustainable living - not perfect, but so it goes. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane kill it. I really like Costner's Jonathan. He reminds me of my grandpa in a lot of great ways.

It's weird as well that as soon as mass destruction starts happening, that's when the DCU opens up. SMASH! LexCorp tanker. SMASH! Wayne satellite, that just happened to be directly over Metropolis during a crazy crisis, like ... come on ... Bruce was snooping. It was a completely insular story until super-heroics started happening.

As for the much-maligned death toll ... it seems clear enough to me that the Kryptonians probably killed at least two or three city blocks full of people. It morbidly reminds me of a quote from Team America: World Police, about "9/11 times a hundred". But evacuations were clearly happening, it looked like several blocks away Perry was hesitant to abandon the Planet when the story was right there, but most of the buildings were being cleared. Beyond that, once Superman starts combating Zod ... I thought the movie effectively, in all the scenes before that showed what Superman can do with his powers, built a case where Superman has enough control, precision, good aim, x-ray vision and super hearing, that he knew exactly where he was punching Zod and that there weren't civilians around. We see him use zoom vision to check out the prison ship in orbit, to see Lois falling. We see him use x-ray vision at really long distances. And we see him lead Zod away from the park where Perry and other survivors were, into a more empty area.

Three blocks of city destroyed, surrounding buildings smashed up a bit, is nothing to take lightly - but it's within the realm of comicky possibility to have super CEOs like Luthor or Bruce rebuild the crap out of. The death-toll is catastrophic, but not like ... "ENTIRE CITIES DESTROYED" when you finally take a few more looks at just how big that Metropolis skyline is in previous scenes. Of course, as it goes, the ratio is like Superman: 1, Zod's Crew: Thousands.

I like it a lot. Especially the small town stuff. I thought it needed more of that, frankly, and that's in a movie that barely gives Metropolis anything but alien destruction.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I still love Man of Steel -- it sits right behind The Dark Knight, as my favorite modern Super-flicks.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I really like Costner's Jonathan.
    Absolutely. Costner was fantastic in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    As for the much-maligned death toll ... it seems clear enough to me that the Kryptonians probably killed at least two or three city blocks full of people. It morbidly reminds me of a quote from Team America: World Police, about "9/11 times a hundred". But evacuations were clearly happening, it looked like several blocks away Perry was hesitant to abandon the Planet when the story was right there, but most of the buildings were being cleared. Beyond that, once Superman starts combating Zod ... I thought the movie effectively, in all the scenes before that showed what Superman can do with his powers, built a case where Superman has enough control, precision, good aim, x-ray vision and super hearing, that he knew exactly where he was punching Zod and that there weren't civilians around. We see him use zoom vision to check out the prison ship in orbit, to see Lois falling. We see him use x-ray vision at really long distances. And we see him lead Zod away from the park where Perry and other survivors were, into a more empty area.

Three blocks of city destroyed, surrounding buildings smashed up a bit, is nothing to take lightly - but it's within the realm of comicky possibility to have super CEOs like Luthor or Bruce rebuild the crap out of. The death-toll is catastrophic, but not like ... "ENTIRE CITIES DESTROYED" when you finally take a few more looks at just how big that Metropolis skyline is in previous scenes. Of course, as it goes, the ratio is like Superman: 1, Zod's Crew: Thousands.
    You bring up a lot of great points, Retro, but I really agree with all this.

Every time (that I recall) that Clark and Zod smashed into an Metropolis office building, it was empty... because X-ray vision. I do believe that Clark (being Clark), would always try to move the fight away from civilians (I'd say that the Smallville fight was where Clark mostly failed, in this regard, but hey, "on the job training," right?).

Most of the destruction in Metropolis, was caused by Black Zero, while Clark was on the other side of the world, trying to destroy the World Engine.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainLiberty76 View Post
    Have read quite a bit about the pros and cons of this latest installment in the Superman mythos...
    I don't disagree with this. I personally think it was a valid take on Superman (in spite of things I might occasionally say when I'm overstating the case). In fact, I might post on this thread my "reviews" of MoS and StM from the recently deceased "old" CBR Superman board. I think the character maintained the spirit of Superman as much as was possible in a setting that was being that realistic about the fear that would be generated by the very idea that alien life and especially a being of that kind of power was living among us.

I also have noticed the strange gut reaction to Jonathan Kent as some sort of abusive paranoid. I mean, for cripe's sakes, we live in a world where being a different skin color or religion or ethnicity or sexual orientation can make you an extreme target. But people are just going to blithely join the super hero stock set of rules and welcome an alien that can topple buildings with open arms. Riiiight. Jonathan Kent's protectiveness isn't paranoid. It's a knowledge of how real people in a realistic setting would react. And I think that's the heart of it for a lot of people. It's the level of realism which leaves most of the expectations of the super hero genre behind that is the problem. It gets expressed as, "Superman wouldn't do that." In a realistic setting where he ever has to make real choices and can't evade them all, yes he would. "Jonathan Kent is a paranoid." See above. It all really comes down to taking Superman to a place of realism that a lot of people don't want to see the character or the concept taken. I understand that because there is a lot of the mythology that gets left behind when he has to make real choices and people react believably.

MoS is not the only version of Superman. I liked "Smallville" in its later seasons where Clark is so determined to not kill even when all of his own allies are turning on him and intentionally taking away his every option and he still finds a way to not kill. But, again, it's the level of realism the writer wants to take it to compared to the level of realism the viewer/ reader wants to go before something about the fantasy of Superman is destroyed for them.
    Power with Girl is better.

I thought MoS was good, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it excellent. Some things could definitely have been done better, like making it explicit that Superman was fighting in populated areas because Zod and his people would have just started slaughtering everyone if he left.
    You will need a miracle to defeat us, mutant! You are severely outnumbered!
    My brother's the one who cares about numbers.
    THUNK
    I'm the one who believes in miracles.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Light View Post
    I thought MoS was good, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it excellent. Some things could definitely have been done better, like making it explicit that Superman was fighting in populated areas because Zod and his people would have just started slaughtering everyone if he left.

@ 1:15

Faora Ul: "You will not win. For every human you save, we will kill a million more."

This is also after Zod explained that the foundation for New Krypton would be built upon billions of dead humans.

One of the reasons why MoS is not only my favorite Superman movie but one of my favorite super hero movies is that the characters don't behave like comic book caricatures, adhering to some invisible code of conduct because there might be very small children or very old men on the other side of the 4th wall whose sensibilities are easily offended.

I know it was mentioned. I'm not one of the people that hates the movie because he made up his mind and the didn't pay attention to what actually happened. I liked it.

I'd just have liked to see him try to leave a populated area and have to come back because of that. That's why I wrote that I wanted it to be explicit.
    You will need a miracle to defeat us, mutant! You are severely outnumbered!
    My brother's the one who cares about numbers.
    THUNK
    I'm the one who believes in miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Eyes View Post
    Man of Steel was my favorite movie of 2013, and I personally believe it was also the 2nd best Comic Book Film ever made (The Dark Knight taking top spot of course).
    I second this. MOS made me a SM fan again! And what a fantastic start to the DCMovievierse. Can't wait for BvS!!!
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Light View Post
    I know it was mentioned. I'm not one of the people that hates the movie because he made up his mind and the didn't pay attention to what actually happened. I liked it.

I'd just have liked to see him try to leave a populated area and have to come back because of that. That's why I wrote that I wanted it to be explicit.
    Ok, I get it. I don't think I would disagree with you there in that context; I liked MoS because characters didn't behave like comic book cliches. Although, wow, to think about a sequence where Superman tries to lead him away but Zod says "nuh uh" and starts killing people, boggles me.

Damn, I don't know if people would lose their minds even more, or maybe even less if watching that Zod die would be more acceptable.

Mighty Member

MOS was the best Superman movie; contemporary and mature.

I loved MOS...it surely had its flaws, but I can forgive them (Perfection is impossible after all).

3.5-4/5 for me
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

I loved this movie. Exceptional stuff - I think on another thread I ranked it in my Top 5 favourite superhero movies, with TDK, Winter Soldier and a few others. Excellent cast and some good acting as well. Really looking forward to Dawn of Justice.