Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Smallville Clark totally could of, MoS Clark is nowhere near that fast.
    I'm ready to accept that logic but the problem is that Superman from the source material could do it. The only reason why this Superman can't is because of this scene, it's one example of the writers changing Superman's powers to better serve the plot which sucks because that's also one of the most common complains by people who don't read Superman.

A writer friend of mine likes to disect this movie a lot. thinking how it could've done better. He came up with a scene where he does run to save Pa' Kent but when they get somewhere safe -away from the public- he realizes that he was already dead, killed by the whiplash of his superspeed, this (in his ''rewrite'' ) would later be paralled when Superman realices all the destruction his fight with Zod (he still killed him in his script) caused and that the people now fear him as an amazing force of destruction, and he proceeds to help the relieving effort. A monologue (that would parallel dialogue between Zod and Jor El before Krypton's destruction) would later drop the Moral of the movie that is that ''You can't bring Hope through violence''.

While I like his ''cut'' better, I'm not sure if I'm confortable with the idea of Superman accidentally killing Pa' Kent. I get what he would try to do, but just the image in my head of how that would look would make the film way too dark imo.
    Last edited by Vidocq; 05-25-2014 at 04:46 PM.

Love this movie.
    The cinematography in the movie is breathtaking.
    The actors portraying Clark Kent/Superman and Lois Lane were very well chosen.
    The actor portraying Zod was a villain you could also feel sorry for.
    I've lost count how many times I've watched this film.
    I found it to be (please pardon the pun) a super movie!

One of my favorite comic book movies of all time and second to only the 1978 Christopher Reeve Superman movie

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    I'm ready to accept that logic but the problem is that Superman from the source material could do it. The only reason why this Superman can't is because of this scene, it's one example of the writers changing Superman's powers to better serve the plot which sucks because that's also one of the most common complains by people who don't read Superman.

A writer friend of mine likes to disect this movie a lot. thinking how it could've done better. He came up with a scene where he does run to save Pa' Kent but when they get somewhere safe -away from the public- he realizes that he was already dead, killed by the whiplash of his superspeed, this (in his ''rewrite'' ) would later be paralled when Superman realices all the destruction his fight with Zod (he still killed him in his script) caused and that the people now fear him as an amazing force of destruction, and he proceeds to help the relieving effort. A monologue (that would parallel dialogue between Zod and Jor El before Krypton's destruction) would later drop the Moral of the movie that is that ''You can't bring Hope through violence''.

While I like his ''cut'' better, I'm not sure if I'm confortable with the idea of Superman accidentally killing Pa' Kent. I get what he would try to do, but just the image in my head of how that would look would make the film way too dark imo.
    Now THAT would have angered me a lot. I loved the scene the way it was. Pa gives his life to protect his son one last time and secure the secret.

If Clark had killed his father with his superspeed I might have walked out.

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

I felt it was ok

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved MAN OF STEEL. I thought it felt massive in scale, something a SUPERMAN film has never felt.

I enjoy the MARVEL films, but they're different. They're more popcorn fare, which I love, but MAN OF STEEL was like a modern myth. It felt like you were watching the birth of Earth's Champion and not just superhero B or C.

The ending caught me by surprise, but I grew up with Bryne and I've seen Superman put Zod down before. It was a bit rough on me, but I understand why they decided to go that route. I thought Michael Shannon was amazing as Zod, and really made you feel for the guy. The ending, to me, was much more of a suicide than anything else. He gave Superman no other choice, he wanted to die. Had I written it? I wouldn't have had Superman kill anyone, but again it's a choice that I totally get.

Awesome casting, gorgeous cinematography, wonderful soundtrack. Henry Cavil is Superman, walked right off the page.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-26-2014 at 10:01 AM.

The abilities of comic book characters are all over the place. Superman in the comics constantly forgets he has super speed or uses it at a level far less than we've seen it at other times. The Christoper Reeve Superman had vastly varying degrees of super speed. There have been comic book situations where Superman conveniently forgot he had super speed and failed to be able to do something just like MoS Superman couldn't super speed save his father and at least MoS Superman was pretty solidly established to not be on the comic book levels of super speed.
    Power with Girl is better.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    Cliched? You're right, his Pa Kent was the most relatable I've seen so far. My wife gets choked up at three distinct spots during his performance as do I.
    Really? I'm guessing the "You are my son." line (which was wonderful) and...I got nothin' else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    It's going to be a long wait till 2016...
    Well at least we have Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, the 300 prequel and Avengers 2 to tide us over, and Spidey 2, X-Men Days of Future Past and in some places even Cap 2 are all still in theatres. Does any one know when Incredibles 2 comes out? The FF reboot? Maybe those can last us until Superman vs Batman (featuring Wonder Woman, Cyborg and possibly more) and Captain America 3 (featuring Falcon, Black Widow, Winter Soldier and possibly more) come out on the same freakin' day. Inside me is a 10 year old losing his mind...

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    I think Amy Adams is too old for the role.
    That's crazy talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwathings View Post
    Really? I found it difficult to figure out what he was supposed to be feeling at certain times. Not all the time, but enough that it distracted me.
    My take on it is that he's scared of what would happen to Clark if/when people find out about him (something mentioned in the first Reeve movie, touched on occasionally in the comics and that was an ongoing theme in Smallville), but this version carries it to a ridiculous extreme (maybe don't save buses of children, maybe let this tornado kill me).

They were all bringing their A-Game, even if the script really wasn't worth the acting they gave at times, they carried the movie through out all the Goyer, right until the Snyder kicked in.
    Agreed. I could've done with more scenes like him learning to fly and less scenes of...well, death, but the cast was excellent.
    Last edited by dupersuper; 05-26-2014 at 01:45 PM.

I love this thread, it's my kind of thread
    I'm not kidding, I too love this movie, don't see any reason to nitpick it
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

To be fair, this Superman has nothing to indicate he can move THAT fast. Even if you accepted he was faster then a speeding bullet, people were there at the scene..they would of seen SOME kind of blur if he saved him. Add that to the fact that people in the town have already seen Clark use his powers when he was younger..I could see fearing people would see something. Thing is, I don't think that is worth dying over though. People in the town might of seen him use his powers, but it's not like they would have any solid proof to take to the media or anything. I could understand more if he was trying to save a person, but a dog? I have loved all my pets and I would try to do everything I could to save them if they were in danger, but I would not foolishly throw my life away to do it. He still had a family left, and he ditched them for a dog. While I do view my pets as family I'd still choose my parents over them.

A writer friend of mine likes to disect this movie a lot. thinking how it could've done better. He came up with a scene where he does run to save Pa' Kent but when they get somewhere safe -away from the public- he realizes that he was already dead, killed by the whiplash of his superspeed
    It basically sounds like when Gwen Stacy died in the comics, only tweaked a bit to fit the situation.

It is very simple what they could of done, put both Martha and Johnathan in danger, and Supes can use his powers, but he doesn't have enough time to save them both. Instead of forcing his son to make the hard choice between his two parents, Johnathan takes that choice away by letting the tornado take him. It's not perfect, but it isn't the hugely retarded thing that we got. It also could come into play later on..with the message being that yeah, sometimes you DO have to make hard choices. There won't always be someone there to help you out, and that is exactly what he learns later on with Zod.

this (in his ''rewrite'' ) would later be paralled when Superman realices all the destruction his fight with Zod (he still killed him in his script) caused and that the people now fear him as an amazing force of destruction, and he proceeds to help the relieving effort. A monologue (that would parallel dialogue between Zod and Jor El before Krypton's destruction) would later drop the Moral of the movie that is that ''You can't bring Hope through violence''.
    I agree with the overall message of..all this destruction and his having to kill Zod being the reason he adopts a very strict no kill policy. I wouldn't have the people fearing Superman, but more being in awe of him. I could see them fearing him at first, until they see him defeat Zod. Since for me if I'm a citizen of that planet..I'd be thinking okay, this guy has a lot of power and others of his race caused massive destruction, but he has been living here his whole life, he could of tried to take over the world or something, but he didn't. He only came out and began using his powers to protect the planet. Yes true they arrived here in part because of Supes, but he was a baby when he was sent here, he didn't choose to come.

My question is why didn't Zod just go turn Mars into a New Krypton?
    Last edited by Surtur; 05-26-2014 at 02:34 PM.

Incredible Member

That's the exact same message that's in the film.

Jonathan and Clark make the hard choice of letting Jonathan die.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 05-27-2014 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    That's the exact same message that's in the film.

Jonathan and Clark make the hard choice of letting Jonathan die.
    I don't want to get into a huge thing about it, but the message isn't that he has to make hard choices and can't save everyone in Man of Steel. The message and lesson Pa is teaching him is that he has to hide who he is and what he can do. That even your father dying isn't as important as keeping your secret. Take it how you will, but that was the intended and actual message that Pa's death teaches Clark. Which is why he basically becomes a wanderer and never sticks around long enough to let anyone see or figure out what he can do. Because his dad thought it was more important for Clark to hide who he was. He even says that to Lois. And while I loved the action and super power showcasing the movie does, I had serious issues with this Pa Kent and that lesson.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    I don't want to get into a huge thing about it, but the message isn't that he has to make hard choices and can't save everyone in Man of Steel. The message and lesson Pa is teaching him is that he has to hide who he is and what he can do. That even your father dying isn't as important as keeping your secret. Take it how you will, but that was the intended and actual message that Pa's death teaches Clark. Which is why he basically becomes a wanderer and never sticks around long enough to let anyone see or figure out what he can do. Because his dad thought it was more important for Clark to hide who he was. He even says that to Lois. And while I loved the action and super power showcasing the movie does, I had serious issues with this Pa Kent and that lesson.
    You're forgetting a part of the message, which was: "until you're ready to decide wether you want to reveal yourself or not".
    The idea is that Clark showing what he can do will change our perception of our world in such a fundamental way (being a potentially omnipotent godlike being and the proof aliens exist in one big package) that it will be a very heavy responsability for him to bear. So, the implication is that, while it's best for him not to reveal himself while he's still a kid/teenager, someday he will be ready to "stand proud in front of the human race" if he wishes. Heck, the very end of the movie even suggest that Pa Kent always knew/expected his son will choose to reveal himself. It's just that he felt his ten year old kid wasn't ready to make that choice yet.
    It actually doesn't strike me as so unlike usual Pa Kent.
    "Now listen to me, Clark. This great strengh of yours-You've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you. But when the proper time comes, you must use it to assist humanity".
    That's not from MOS, but from the very first issue of the Superman comic, and one of the three lines Siegel and Shuster gave Pa and Ma Kent.
    MOS just takes the idea and runs with the whole "hide your strengh" thing, by asking the question "at what cost?".
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

I don't know where the sentiment comes from that Man of Steel isn't a good movie. I've seen the movie multiple times. I don't see a whole lot of flaws, especially compared to other comic book movies. I mean how can anyone watch Man of Steel and Batman: The Dark Knight Rises side-by-side and say they have the same amount of flaws? I know it's all subjective, but I don't understand why this movie is criticized. We had a movie in Superman Returns where the action was incredibly poor and Superman became a deadbeat dad who left Lois and the whole planet behind for years. In Man of Steel, we have a movie that shows Superman becoming the hero we know him to be. He starts off not sure that the world is ready for him, just as his father taught him. Then Zod comes along and the world needs him. He steps up and he saves everyone, so much so that even the soldiers originally meant to subdue him eventually see that he's not their enemy.

Every character in this movie was very nicely developed. Lois Lane, Perry White, the Kents, Jor-El, and Zod were all given sufficient depth. Now I'm not saying there wasn't room for improvement, but it's a matter of degree. I look at this movie and I see a level of quality and refinement that doesn't warrant the criticism it has received. I get that movies like the Avengers, Spider-Man, and X-men have really changed the makeup of comic book movies. In that sense Superman is going up against a bar that has been considerably raised, but his story is still as compelling as ever. And Man of Steel captured all the right elements while introducing some entirely new elements for the future. For that, it does qualify as an excellent movie and deserves to be treated as such.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Spectacular Member

I totally hated it. The casting was nice though :/