Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jphu8414 View Post

The first flight scene was my absolute favorite scene in the movie, it blew me away when I first saw it. Even people I know who hated the mov admitted that this scene was pretty cool.
    I watched the movie with my 4, 6 year old cousins and they had a pretty similar reaction as the baby in the video!

I respect that man's opinion but kind of overly dramatic don't you think...
    A death in the family or a national tragedy, those are things that emotionally destroy me. Not some movie about a guy who can fly.
    The flying scene was one of my all time favorite MOS moments.

Things I liked - briefly (and in no particular order):

- Jor’s telling of Kryptonian history (with the standard of the House of El being planted on another world, setting a basis for the symbol to be recognized on an intergalactic level!)

- Jor being able to hold his breath for a long time – a regular Kryptonian on Krypton…so an enhanced Kryptonian should be able to do more

- Jonathan, overall. Although I didn’t like some of the dialogue and the ‘sacrifice’/suicide, Jonathan was quite multi-faceted. His fear wasn’t just that Clark would be taken away and experimented on; it was also a ‘bigger picture’ view: how would we react if we found out that aliens really do exist. It’s an area I had hoped they would at least open up to somewhat in this movie, but they didn’t, and that’s a real shame. Also, with the bullying scene, he pretty much told Clark that he understood Clark wanting to fight back (who wouldn’t?) and that part of him even wanted him to, but, really, what would it accomplish? We saw the bent fence, that could easily have been someone’s jaw. Also, the distance between them in that scene – now, I could be reading too much in to it but I felt that Jonathan wanted to comfort and assure Clark more directly, but was hanging back in order to not embarrass him in case those bullies were watching.

- ‘What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater?’

- Lois, overall. As with Jonathan, there were dialogue issues (the flak-jacket comment was unnecessary, as was the Pulitzer one). As in previous continuities/versions, Lois got herself into dangerous situations long before she ever came across the Man from Krypton, so it was good to have that here. Her taking down a couple of Kryptonians was an amusing touch. Her ready acceptance is a little jarring to some people, but she knows first hand that this alien being means well. He could have let her die instead of cauterising the wound; he could have let so many others die over the years…but he didn’t. The rest of the world doesn’t know that yet (apart from those who know they were saved by him), but they will.

- Zod’s grief, both times he kills Jor. His affection for Jor overrides his ‘programming’ for a few brief moments, both times. The first as he turns away as Lara rushes to Jor’s body; the second when, haunted for 33 years, he’s compelled to kill his old friend once again, and he turns his head again. Beautifully done by Mr Shannon.

- Clark stepping in to help the waitress – here, as I’m sure we can all agree, Clark was doing the right thing

- The shove – the look on the groper’s face was classic

- I liked the imagery of the pierced truck (internally I visualised it as a jab at Bay’s Transformers, but that’s my mind having a little more fun ) but, initially, I didn’t like that it came across as a lashing out. However, considering the fact that Clark has been working there for a few months, it could be argued that this was really a case of ‘enough is enough’, and that ties in directly to him giving up his job there and then, too (in order to head to Ellesmere) (I don’t know if that was intentional on Mr Goyer’s part, though).

- That Kryptonian tech could hurt Clark (I really hoped they would carry that forward but, alas…). When the drone’s attack cut him and made him bleed, well, I was drawn in a little bit more. I really felt that this would be where they could make things a little more interesting.

- The irony of Jonathan’s fear of Clark being a lab rat for humans actually manifesting as him being a lab rat for Kryptonians

- Relatively interactive hologram Jor (although hearing his steps was a little silly). The scenes with Lois were fun and tense – I took the initial pause before he began communicating with Lois to indicate that the Jor-conscience had sifted through some updates and ascertained her identity

- The tease of Clark making handgrips as he made his way up the support column of the oil rig

- Clark Kent: man on fire! (Perhaps ‘hunk of burning love’ would be more apt – cue Elvis!)

- Holding back the collapsing rig long enough for the rescue copter to get away (we needed this kind of thing when he was in costume, too!!)

- Clark reassuring Lois as he tended to her injury

- The gulp from the priest who bullied Clark when they were younger

- Young Clark and the clothes-pinned cape – yes, within the narrative of the movie there was no justification for it, no inspiration for it (unlike for us in our world where Superman is the inspiration for it), but it was a nice image. (If things were a little different in the movie, then it could have worked to show how his presence was inspiring others, but that’s by the by)

- The picture of Clark (with Jonathan) winning the school science prize

- Zod spinning Kal around a tossing him into a building – a great turnaround of the famous scene from Superman II that involved the Coca Cola sign

- Faora checking Kal out when she first meets him – although it’s a bit creepy since she’s probably pushing at least 60 at that point…

- Speaking of, Zod looks good for someone who’s probably hitting 80…

- Learning to fly – I grinned as he did the ‘leaping tall buildings’ (even though there were no buildings)

- The prominent display of his durability as he crashed through the top of the mountain

- Telescopic vision

- The scene of the Kryptonians sealed and heading up to the awaiting ship…that it turned out to be from Lara’s view and her tears begin to blur what we see

- The tackle and slide recovery when he stopped Faora from killing Colonel Hardy

- ‘Welcome to the Planet’ – I love playing with words, and that one worked well

- Young Clark knowing he has to do the right thing

- Kal’s head getting knocked back a little when he was hit by one of the rounds

- Faora smacking Kal around with ease

- Faora speedblitzing the soldiers

- ‘You will not win. For every human you save, we will kill a million more.’ – and she meant it

- The casual use of x-ray vision and his matter-of-fact description of what they were doing behind the walls

- Face to face with General Swanwick, through one-way glass

- That he was able to track and locate Lois with ease

- ‘Don’t play games with me, General.’

- The matter of fact way he says ‘You won’t.’ towards the end of the movie.

- The colour shift in the closing scenes – there’s a bluish tint throughout most of the movie (to my eye) but this is gone (to my eye) at the end of the movie from when he tells Martha his plan onwards.

- The fight scenes were great – the energy, the movement, the choreography….one of the things I didn’t like about Nolan’s Batman movies were the fights – the choreography and framing just didn’t work for me – the fights in MoS, though, were quite ‘wow’

- Taking on Nam-Ek and Faora at the same time

- Using Faora as a weapon to knock Nam-Ek back for a moment

- The brief use of slow-mo when Nam-Ek grabbed the van and tossed it at the copters

- Catching the soldier (although I didn’t like him getting sucker-punched and then not being able to catch the copter)

- The respect Faora had for Colonel Hardy

- The train toss – it was a nice image but I also had an additional (perhaps unintentional) interpretation: he survived getting squished by the (screaming) locomotive, ergo ‘more powerful than a…’

- Tying in to that, a little earlier he dodges some gun fire (heavy duty rounds) but gets tagged by at least one. Generally, though, he’s shown to be ‘faster than a speeding bullet’. (He also, really, has no reason at this point to believe he’s not going to be hurt by that kind of gunfire (these aren’t bullets for pistols or rifles, they’re on a whole other level), even if he was able to go through a mountain unscathed)

- Faora relying on speed (and dodging the bullets in the initial military attack)

- Nam-Ek (seemingly) relying on his armour

- Nam-Ek rolling his shoulders back before doing a hop, skip, and ‘ohmyfraggin’’… Hulk, who? (I didn’t like that the pilot got vapourised, but it happens so quickly that odds are most people didn’t notice it)

- That a blast from the small ship’s energy weapon was able to knock Kal down

- That there’s Kryptonite in another part of the universe (away from Krypton) and, possibly, within the Sol system

- When the car landed on him as he was about to punch Zod, and he shrugged it off

- The chase through Metropolis being akin to the one in Superman II

- That he tried to catch the (Wayne) satellite that Zod tossed at him

- Martha’s sadness at Clark’s discovery. Sure, there’s an element of selfishness there, but it’s also such a motherly thing, I think. She’s happy he has found the answers he was looking for, but she’s sad in that she feels it creates distance between them and that he might not love her the way he used to

- Kal’s protectiveness of his mother (yes, he was stupid for leaving her with a bunch of Kryptonians while he tackled Zod (and then Nam-Ek and Faora) but his rage as he flew in was understandable. His realisation that he almost lost her and that she can’t be ‘replaced’ was a good part, too

- Clark’s grin at the end.

- Jonathan’s faith that Clark will be able to find his place in the world, when he’s ready

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jphu8414 View Post

The first flight scene was my absolute favorite scene in the movie
    Agreed: I wish more of the movie had that tone...

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    That.....doesn't really contradict my point.
    Pretty much covered it with my whole "runs with the "at what cost" idea" part, actually.
    As a father of two I'll tell you right now to a kid "Maybe" may as well be yes. It plants the seedling that this is an acceptable action. Especially in the mind of a child on the verge of a more complex understanding of morality and human nature. He's giving Clark the go ahead to rationalize why he shouldn't help people. Because hey if his father isn't sure then it must be a mutable thing. Remember as a adult we know we don't always know the right answer and that becoming old or having a kid doesn't suddenly make you infallible, but your kids don't know that. They look to adults and parental figures because they believe we know the answer. So imagine how harmful if you tell a kid maybe it's ok you let a bus full of kids die. In fact Pa Kent goes on to further meet word with deed by then letting himself be killed pointlessly. On top of again talking to Clark about the man he's going to be good or bad and changing the world. Once again advocating the option of NOT being a good person simply by virtue of allowing that possibility to be an option. What parent tells his child maybe you'll be a bad person, but you'll change the world?

This isn't a Pa Kent I want any part of. Because Smallville for all it's faults also had Pa Kent who was scared of the world finding out about his son, but he would never have answered that question with a "Maybe." He would've said something along the lines of it being his responsibility to use that power to help those in need but he also would have talked of being more careful. He expects Clark to be good. He is raising him to be a good man, and instilling him with a sense of responsibility and purpose. Like an actual parent would.

Personally I subscribe to the idea that Superman is who he is and acts how he acts because of the example the Kents set for him. How they raised him and taught him and loved him like their own. And had it been anyone else we more than likely would've ended up with a very different Superman. A Superman whose morals perhaps weren't as strong as those of the Kents.

Anyway I promise that's all I'll say on the subject. It was the one thing in the movie I couldn't really forgive.
    Last edited by R0NIN; 05-30-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    As a father of two I'll tell you right now to a kid "Maybe" may as well be yes. It plants the seedling that this is an acceptable action. Especially in the mind of a child on the verge of a more complex understanding of morality and human nature. He's giving Clark the go ahead to rationalize why he shouldn't help people. Because hey if his father isn't sure then it must be a mutable thing. Remember as a adult we know we don't always know the right answer and that becoming old or having a kid doesn't suddenly make you infallible, but your kids don't know that. They look to adults and parental figures because they believe we know the answer. So imagine how harmful if you tell a kid maybe it's ok you let a bus full of kids die. In fact Pa Kent goes on to further meet word with deed by then letting himself be killed pointlessly. On top of again talking to Clark about the man he's going to be good or bad and changing the world. Once again advocating the option of NOT being a good person simply by virtue of allowing that possibility to be an option. What parent tells his child maybe you'll be a bad person, but you'll change the world?

This isn't a Pa Kent I want any part of. Because Smallville for all it's faults also had Pa Kent who was scared of the world finding out about his son, but he would never have answered that question with a "Maybe." He would've said something along the lines of it being his responsibility to use that power to help those in need but he also would have talked of being more careful. He expects Clark to be good. He is raising him to be a good man, and instilling him with a sense of responsibility and purpose. Like an actual parent would.

Personally I subscribe to the idea that Superman is who he is and acts how he acts because of the example the Kents set for him. How they raised him and taught him and loved him like their own. And had it been anyone else we more than likely would've ended up with a very different Superman. A Superman whose morals perhaps weren't as strong as those of the Kents.

Anyway I promise that's all I'll say on the subject. It was the one thing in the movie I couldn't really forgive.
    The kind that raises an indestructible alien that will change the world?
    Always took that sentence as a "ultimately, you're the one who will decide what you will do with your life. But you have to realize that, whatever you decide, it will have consequences". Which is pretty much what my dad told me (appart perhaps from the consequences part), and I grew up okay.
    And funny. Always thought "maybe", meant "maybe".
    The movie clearly didn't meant it as a "yes", and Clark obviously didn't undestand it as a "yes". It wasn't a "yes". It was Pa Kent admitting his ignorance at his kid due to the very specific nature of said kid.
    You know, I kinda do wonder if you would tell your kid to save the bus full of kids no matter what knowing it would risk him being captured by the government and disected. Or rejected by all and forced to live as a freak outside of society.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

Always took that sentence as a "ultimately, you're the one who will decide what you will do with your life. But you have to realize that, whatever you decide, it will have consequences". Which is pretty much what my dad told me (appart perhaps from the consequences part), and I grew up okay.

The movie clearly didn't meant it as a "yes", and Clark obviously didn't undestand it as a "yes". It wasn't a "yes". It was Pa Kent admitting his ignorance at his kid due to the very specific nature of said kid.
    You know, I kinda do wonder if you would tell your kid to save the bus full of kids no matter what knowing it would risk him being captured by the government and disected. Or rejected by all and forced to live as a freak outside of society.
    Yeah seriously.

All-New Member InsanityIsTrueSanity's Avatar

http://www.the-fanboy-perspective.co...ally-kill.html Look what I found in the Batman v Superman IMDb board. Thought it was well written and made some great points against people who hated this movie.

By the way, I love this movie! Best Superman to date! Even when I saw Reeve's Superman movies as a kid, I thought they were boring. That's not to say that Reeve's Superman was bad himself. I loved him. But I also loved Michael Keaton's Batman (but not his movies).

Extraordinary Member

I prefer to see this film as a sci-fi.

Which Side Are You On? Invisible Man's Avatar

I really enjoyed it. Took my non-comic book reading Mom to see it for a repeat viewing and she loved it. Didn't think it replaced Superman the Motion Picture but I thought for the most part it hit all the right beats except THAT one at the end.

We gave the movie a thorough rundown on MVP Mutant Radio.
    Last edited by Invisible Man; 05-30-2014 at 10:06 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
    I really enjoyed it. Took my non-comic book reading Mom to see it for a repeat viewing and she loved it. Didn't think it replaced Superman the Motion Picture but I thought for the most part it hit all the right beats except THAT one at the end.

We gave the movie a thorough rundown on MVP Mutant Radio.
    Nothing will replace Superman The Movie. I look at it as Superman the Movie = Silver/Bronze Age, MOS = Modern/Iron Age. Plenty of room for both if you're a fan as they both are set into what comics where at the time and what they are now.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved Pa Kent in this film. I was so sick of the whole prophetic farmer Pa, that I went into this thinking it'd be more of Jonathan Kent holding Clark's hand the whole time.

I loved the scenes he had with his son, cause truly it's beyond his grasp of reality to even begin to tell Kal-El of Krypton how to live his life. That's Superman's job.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I loved the scenes he had with his son, cause truly it's beyond his grasp of reality to even begin to tell Kal-El of Krypton how to live his life. That's Superman's job.
    Agreed, Jonathan Kent was out of his depth, but still did the best he could to teach his son how to be a man.
    I found it to be a very human interpretation.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I never truly cared for Superman until I saw MoS.
    Same for Green Lantern movie. Both of them got me out my comfort seat of sticking to all things Batman and Spiderman.
    Now I'm collecting Johns GL run and looking forward to Johns Superman (after the disappointing Unchained).

All in all. I'd rank MoS just behind TDK trilogy and sandwiched between TASM 2&1 as my favourite hero flicks.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I loved Pa Kent in this film. I was so sick of the whole prophetic farmer Pa, that I went into this thinking it'd be more of Jonathan Kent holding Clark's hand the whole time.

Agreed, this is why this is my favorite version of Pa Kent. For the first time he wasn't just going through the motions.

We need a like button!
    Last edited by The Beast; 05-31-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat_Baggie View Post
    Same for Green Lantern movie. Both of them got me out my comfort seat of sticking to all things Batman and Spiderman.
    Now I'm collecting Johns GL run and looking forward to Johns Superman (after the disappointing Unchained).
    Yeah, I really thought that Green Lantern wasn't a bad movie, how they messed up every villain in the movie was unacceptable but I felt that the movie and Ryan Reynolds needs a chance he was a good Hal Jordan for me.