Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    The kind that raises an indestructible alien that will change the world?
    Always took that sentence as a "ultimately, you're the one who will decide what you will do with your life. But you have to realize that, whatever you decide, it will have consequences". Which is pretty much what my dad told me (appart perhaps from the consequences part), and I grew up okay.
    And funny. Always thought "maybe", meant "maybe". The movie clearly didn't meant it as a "yes", and Clark obviously didn't undestand it as a "yes". It wasn't a "yes". It was Pa Kent admitting his ignorance at his kid due to the very specific nature of said kid.
    You know, I kinda do wonder if you would tell your kid to save the bus full of kids no matter what knowing it would risk him being captured by the government and disected. Or rejected by all and forced to live as a freak outside of society.

Yes because the kid raising the indestructible alien should be planting the seeds for justification of being an evil person in his son's head? I don't know you, but I doubt you're dad told you it was ok to be evil as long as that's what you decide. That he told you you are the one who decides who you are and that that ultimately falls on you is NOT the same thing as saying whether you're good or bad you're going to be a big deal.

Honest question. Do you and the others who "like" or agree with this have kids? Cause I don't know a single parent (and after this I asked plenty in case I was way off base) that disagrees with me. Maybe to a kid means "yes" even though what the parent is really saying is, "no, but I just want you to leave me alone for like 5 minutes". I think most people who are being honest with themselves agree. Everytime you say maybe it usually means something else. Here's a funny but true article about what I mean. If you read into the comments someone even says the same thing about what kid hears when a parent says yes,

http://www.danoah.com/2010/12/real-d...-of-maybe.html

What you and Lone Necromancer and the others are failing to acknowledge is that words have a definiton, but don't neccesarily mean the same thing coming from the different people. And the meanings are often taken as differently than the definition dependant on who is hearing them and what is going on.

Don't believe me? Don't get your wife or Girlfriend something after she says her birthday/anniversary or whatever isn't a big deal. When she says, "Fine", is she really fine? etc.etc.

As to what I would've said. I would have said to be more careful next time, then pack up what I needed and moved my family immediately out of the country to Canada. I would never advocate to my son to let people die knowing it'd be an easy thing for him to have stopped it. You're also implying that it's a definite that the government is going to find out and disect this "indestructible" kid as you point out. Which it clearly wasn't adefinite since it obviously didn't happen. Because since everyone wants to jump on the "it's more real/believable" wagon and pretend these are all situations/reactions a real person would make.... It's way more believable that a bunch of kids who just nearly drowned after their bus fell into lake, saw something that didn't make sense, than it is to believe a kid moved a bus full of kids and water out of a lake. Not to mention if that happened in the real world you think all of a sudden the government is going to send a bunch of agents to the Kent's house to investigate what some backwater half drowned country yokel kid in Kansas says he saw?

Or rejected by all and forced to live as a freak outside of society
    Didn't Clark live on the outside of society anyway? I could've sworn I saw a movie where Clark was a drifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I loved Pa Kent in this film. I was so sick of the whole prophetic farmer Pa, that I went into this thinking it'd be more of Jonathan Kent holding Clark's hand the whole time.

I loved the scenes he had with his son, cause truly it's beyond his grasp of reality to even begin to tell Kal-El of Krypton how to live his life. That's Superman's job.
    Except Pa Kent isn't telling Kal-El of Krypton anything. He's telling Clark Kent (the boy he raised and thinks of as his son) how to live. Because he's a father and that's a very big part of his job. To shelter,protect, raise and teach your kids not only academia, but about how to be a man. Pa Kent isn't as far beyond his depth as you would think, because having super senses doesn't mean you have life experiences to make informed decisions about.

BANNED

It was a good movie and it had It's flaws.

I don't get the hate for the Zodd scene, it was a great way for young Superman to learn the value of taking a life.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    Yes because the kid raising the indestructible alien should be planting the seeds for justification of being an evil person in his son's head? I don't know you, but I doubt you're dad told you it was ok to be evil as long as that's what you decide. That he told you you are the one who decides who you are and that that ultimately falls on you is NOT the same thing as saying whether you're good or bad you're going to be a big deal.

Honest question. Do you and the others who "like" or agree with this have kids? Cause I don't know a single parent (and after this I asked plenty in case I was way off base) that disagrees with me. Maybe to a kid means "yes" even though what the parent is really saying is, "no, but I just want you to leave me alone for like 5 minutes". I think most people who are being honest with themselves agree. Everytime you say maybe it usually means something else. Here's a funny but true article about what I mean. If you read into the comments someone even says the same thing about what kid hears when a parent says yes,

http://www.danoah.com/2010/12/real-d...-of-maybe.html

What you and Lone Necromancer and the others are failing to acknowledge is that words have a definiton, but don't neccesarily mean the same thing coming from the different people. And the meanings are often taken as differently than the definition dependant on who is hearing them and what is going on.

Don't believe me? Don't get your wife or Girlfriend something after she says her birthday/anniversary or whatever isn't a big deal. When she says, "Fine", is she really fine? etc.etc.

As to what I would've said. I would have said to be more careful next time, then pack up what I needed and moved my family immediately out of the country to Canada. I would never advocate to my son to let people die knowing it'd be an easy thing for him to have stopped it. You're also implying that it's a definite that the government is going to find out and disect this "indestructible" kid as you point out. Which it clearly wasn't adefinite since it obviously didn't happen. Because since everyone wants to jump on the "it's more real/believable" wagon and pretend these are all situations/reactions a real person would make.... It's way more believable that a bunch of kids who just nearly drowned after their bus fell into lake, saw something that didn't make sense, than it is to believe a kid moved a bus full of kids and water out of a lake. Not to mention if that happened in the real world you think all of a sudden the government is going to send a bunch of agents to the Kent's house to investigate what some backwater half drowned country yokel kid in Kansas says he saw?

Didn't Clark live on the outside of society anyway? I could've sworn I saw a movie where Clark was a drifter.
    -No, my dad didn't. But that's okay, because Pa Kent didn't say that either.
    Seriously, Pa kent says the whole "good character or bad" speech after Clark refuses to fight back against bullies, and after Pa stated it was the right thing to do. I'm sorry, but no one who looks at the sentence within its context can possibly take it as Pa Kent saying to his son that it's okay to be evil as long as as that's what he wants. That's just nonsensical. As for the "maybe" moment, he made his point clearly, Clark clearly understood it, he obviously didn't turn evil, depsite you claiming Pa "planted the seeds of evil" in his heart. Yeah, I guess that's why he spends the entire first part of the movie saving people.

-You're mistaking the point. Sure, people didn't believe Clark actually lifted the bus (appart from a few). That's not the problem. What about next time? What if the next time he saves someone without hiding himself, someone films him on his cell phone? People only jump on the more "believable" option if they have a more believable option to fall back to. If everytime Clark makes a saving, every one can see him do it, after a while, people are going to get it. People are stupid, yes, but only to an extend.
    I mean seriously, at that moment in the movie, people are going to the Kent farm claiming Clark was Jesus reborn. That's not exactly keeping a low profile, despite your "believable options" theory.

-Because he chose to. Last time I checked, he was still part of society enough to have jobs.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

BANNED

I hated this version of Pa Kent and the way he diead was dumb.

Smallville Pa Kent>>>>>>>>>>>>MoS Pa Kent

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
    Yes because the kid raising the indestructible alien should be planting the seeds for justification of being an evil person in his son's head?
    There's nothing evil about teaching your kids self preservation. Neither myself nor my wife would advocate that our two children run into a burning building to try and save someone trapped inside, this scenario isn't that different.

Pa Kent knows what's going to happen to an alien being just as sure as I do once the military gets ahold of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    There's nothing evil about teaching your kids self preservation. Neither myself nor my wife would advocate that our two children run into a burning building to try and save someone trapped inside, this scenario isn't that different.

Pa Kent knows what's going to happen to an alien being just as sure as I do once the military gets ahold of them.
    Would you discourage them from being Fire Fighters or Police Officers if that is what they choose to be?

I personally think children should never be discourage to doing what they dream in life or discourage from using their gifts as this scene does seem to say. Pa Kent was telling Clark that you need to keep this side of yourself secret or bad things will happen to you and that is understandable but in doing so it is telling Clark to always be afraid to use his powers for good. You could only protect those you love for so long before you need to let them see what life is really all about. I could see as a parent you always want to protect your children and that is to be admired for sure.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 06-01-2014 at 07:51 PM.

<points to the title>

Appreciation thread, folks, so take the 'Pa Kent's moral stance' elsewhere, please
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    <points to the title>

Appreciation thread, folks, so take the 'Pa Kent's moral stance' elsewhere, please
    Us crazy posters.

Astonishing Member

Here is some appreciation

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-mark...ray-sales/2013

http://www.the-numbers.com/home-market/dvd-sales/2013

Top selling blue ray/ dvd cbm of the year by far. Nothing else even close.

Superman is my all time favorite hero. MoS wasn't perfect but overall I enjoyed it. Superman is the most polarizing character in the comic book world. He has million of fans but just as many (if not more) people can't stand him. He's seen as boring and too powerful. Snyder, Goyer, and Nolan tried to make a Superman movie to entertain the millions of people who usually hate the character. People now a days enjoy heroes like Batman and The X Men. Flawed heroes. They made Superman more of an outcast and basically attempted to make him a "modern superhero". Which of course is blasphemy to long time fans.
    The biggest complaints are usually the portrayal of Pa Kent and the killing of Zod. I don't care what was in the Director's Cut of Superman II, throughout my childhood I believed that Superman killed the Phantom Zone criminals and I'm sure the vast majority of people who've seen that movie think the same.
    Moviegoers didn't like Superman Returns because of its lack of action (and many other reasons), so they went overboard on the action in MoS. Hopefully the complaints about this movie will be heard and addressed in Superman vs Batman.

There was a lot of little things I enjoyed about MoS. Loved the fact that Clark was such a momma's boy. Superman's strong bond with Ma Kent has always been one of my favorite aspects of the character. The most powerful man on the planet can always go home and be a kid again. It's an part of the character that is missing in the New 52.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-02-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    *Leans back and smiles*
    It's news like this that makes me proud to be a Superman fan.

Wish Superman gets more respect he deserves.

Spectacular Member CaptainLiberty76's Avatar

One thing I truly enjoyed about MoS; it was the first time that Kal-El's power--his strength--was so tremendously portrayed. The earlier movies did a good job setting him apart from humans("Bad vibrations?" anyone?); and Superman 2 with the Zone criminals had some excellent moments. But for the first time the depth and breadth of his strength was well portrayed. The school bus, the oil rig, being tossed through buildings--all of it captured the POWER of Krypton's Last Son exceptionally. Man of Steel IS an excellent movies and does a great job showing the character, compassion, and power of Superman.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I loved Man of Steel! It is the Superman movie I've been wanting my whole life to see!

It was Superman, he used a jaw-dropping array of Super-powers, he saved the entire Earth! The action sequences were epic as hell!

P.S. Sorry for the the '!'s. I REALLY liked it!