Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Patty Jenkins to direct Wonder Woman

'Wonder Woman' Movie Finds a New Director (Exclusive)
    Patty Jenkins, who at one point was to direct Thor 2 for rival Marvel Studios, has closed a deal to helm Warner Bros.' female superhero movie.

Warners moved at lightning speed to sew up another director after parting ways Monday with Michelle MacLaren, the experienced TV showrunner who was to have made her feature directorial debut with Wonder Woman. Creative differences were cited as the reasons for MacLaren's departure.

Selecting Jenkins helps Warners avoid what some saw as a gender bias against women directors helming superhero tentpoles. Ironically, Jenkins would have been the first female director on a Marvel movie if she had continued on Thor 2. She will now become the first female director to handle a big project in Warner's developing DC universe.

The studio needed to move quickly in order not to lose momentum on the project, which has been slotted for 2017 and has Gal Gadot attached to star.

Jenkins is also another experienced TV filmmaker, although she actually got her start in movies. Her debut film was Monster, the indie that won Charlize Theron a best acting Oscar. But showing how hard the film world can be for female directors, Jenkins has had a tough time finding a follow-up feature. She did, however, make a mark in TV, including directing the pilot for AMC’s acclaimed crime drama The Killing.

Jenkins is repped by CAA, Anonymous Content and Jackoway Tyerman.

Relieved. When MacLaren left I was afraid it was a sign of development halting.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm glad to read that Warner has found a replacement director already. Hopefully she knocks Wonder Woman out of the park!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Relieved. When MacLaren left I was afraid it was a sign of development halting.
    I think most of us were. This is great news, though. So excited for Jenkins.

Fantastic news! So glad they replaced MacLaren this fast. Plus Jenkins was many people's first choice to direct.

Ultimate Member

My guess is that WB still had their shortlist of directors lying around somewhere, and started making calls.

I wonder what has she done

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I just have to laugh maliciously that WB scored a director that split from Marvel.

In all seriousness though, the fact that they bounced back so fast is encouraging.

The movie is rumored to be to start filming later this year, right? I'm not surprised they had another director in the pocket. But honestly, if Ant-Man can make it to the movies after all of the production drama it went through, then WW losing one director won't hurt it

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by teddyeatsyourface View Post
    The movie is rumored to be to start filming later this year, right? I'm not surprised they had another director in the pocket. But honestly, if Ant-Man can make it to the movies after all of the production drama it went through, then WW losing one director won't hurt it
    so they probably already have a script.

There were, like, 6 scripts for the movie already. So they probably do have a script chosen.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Great news, indeed!

I'm not familiar with Ms. Jenkins' work, but I'm confident she'll do great.

I'm also very encouraged by how quickly WB took care of this change. This shows that WB really is determined to get this movie made. Doesn't look like this will delay the movie at all.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm also very encouraged by how quickly WB took care of this change. This shows that WB really is determined to get this movie made. Doesn't look like this will delay the movie at all.
    Makes you wonder if the change was made first, and the announcements followed said changes.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Makes you wonder if the change was made first, and the announcements followed said changes.
    That seems likely. Who knows when Maclaren left the project? It could've been a month or two ago, for all we know. Maybe they only made the announcement about Maclaren leaving once they had a replacement chosen.

We'll probably never know. But, at the end of the day, we should probably just be glad that this won't delay the movie. It's a good sign that DC/WB is really committed to this project.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Far Out!
    Badass!
    Fart OUT!!!

Go Patty, Go!