Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    As to identifying Roz as Thor I think we had our first hint that she is a red herring because I doubt she would drive to the Roxxon oil field if she was wielding Mjolnir. Which suggests Roz is somewhere at the scene but possibly isn't Thor.

I Know Roz is named after Rosalind 'Roz' Kirby but maybe the name was chosen to indicate the rosiness of the red-herring. Also come to think of it Solomon and salmon are from the same root so her name could be read as red fish.
    Thanks in the Roz red Herring deal. So the front runner for Thor now is?

On "Jane vs. Roz" -

- The timing would put Roz right in the mix.
    - Her desire to have a way to save earth might just equal "Worthy".

- Jane is on the mend in Asgard. How easy would it be to just get around unnoticed?
    -The way they ruled Jane out early does seem like it could be a head fake.

Dark Horse -

Elf lady from the league of realms.

Also, Jane would be a very clear Donald Blake analog.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Also, Jane would be a very clear Donald Blake analog.
    Jane really didn't have much to do once Freya hired her as her Human liaison. Being Thor would be like a Liaison?

On the point of the Don Blake analog, Jane Foster shouldn't be in the Asgard saga anymore if Don Blake isn't around anymore. Odinson is locked into his Asgardian form, now and doesn't transform into Don Blake anymore. The connection of Jane to Thor is severed I would think?

I also like the 3 women of Thor in this story, with Thor, Sif, and Angela, (Odinsons sister), all close connections if it's Jane.

Angela (to Jane and Sif) - You two are my brothers lovers? Ha! Weak and pathetic. I could gut you like fish.

Girls - Nice to meet you too; likewise.

Angela knocks hammer from Janes hand. It yo-yos back to Jane. "I see you think yourself special". Turns to face Freya, "You, who call yourself mother. I smell you on this one".
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-16-2015 at 07:16 PM.

I was thinking strictly in the storytelling sense. Donald is a classic element of how Thor's story has been told. I was just thinking that Jane would fit in that sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Thanks in the Roz red Herring deal. So the front runner for Thor now is?
    Thor Girl! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I was thinking strictly in the storytelling sense. Donald is a classic element of how Thor's story has been told. I was just thinking that Jane would fit in that sense.
    Certainly before Thor #8 ends, I would like to see Don Blake return as the final curtain falls on Thor. Don and Jane have been there most of the time of the Thor story, as the human side of Thor. If you look at the story of the fictitious Don Blake, (created by Odin only as a frail, harbour for his son), Jane could also be a construct put there like Don Blake? Both Don and Jane are like ghosts of Odins lesson of humility. Or, if made to be real humans, then Don and Jane, two mundane practitioners who wanted to lead obscure lives, have been haunted by a ferocious God. And if Jane is a partner to this Thor being, from her connection to Don Blake, Jane also captures Thors essence. There is a lot to think about regarding the Thor story now that it comes to an end.
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-16-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Star View Post
    Neither does it explain why Thor found out about Odinson losing his arm one or two issues before Jane did. I can't overlook these things, as tempting as it is to think that Aaron is making it too obvious that Roz is Thor. If she does turn out to be a red herring, it will have been one of the sloppiest executions of a mystery ever.
    The point that poster made was that it's only too obvious if you look at the surface, if you look more closely you see things that don't line up. Like the mismatched clothes and the use of the SHIELD car in the last two issues.

I don't think the time when Jane found out about Odinson's missing arm is a problem. I mean, she only commented upon it in issue #6 when they talked about magic cures for her cancer, right? I don't recall any scene with her being surprised to find out at least.

Her knowing or not knowing Agger might have been the misdirection, maybe they did meet sometime, either off-screen (maybe we get a flashback in next issue) or maybe it already happened in GoT?

Another tidbit the poster noticed was this:

http://janefoster.tumblr.com/post/11...s-is-how-i-die

Thor: God of Thunder #12- “If this is how I die, then I will go down swinging, but on my own terms.” (Jane Foster)

Thor Vol. 4 #7- “This is not how it ends… I will not be the woman who was Thor for five days and then fell. This is not how I die.” (Thor)
    Last edited by yet another; 04-16-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Well it was good to see the Destroyer up to snuff in this issue. A lot has been made of how T.H.O.R. has been making Thor look like a bit of a chump but this pretty much shows they are equal in power. Thor has never defeated the armor in physical combat either, except maybe one time when he was backed up with the Odinforce at the start of the JMS run.

My only complaint about this issue is that Odin comes across as a complete frelnik. Seriously, having Cul beat down T.H.O.R. just to teacher a lesson is far less than noble.

I am both anticipating and dreading next issue. Thor leading a team of girls? It sounds like it will be awesome but there is just so much potential for the ladies to be making sexist comments about him in comparison with the new hammer bearer. Fingers crossed though.

As for how to beat the Detroyer - waaaaaaay back when Loki animated the armor using Balder's spirit, Karnilla was able to stagger it with her magic. But considering it was built to fight Celestials and once intimidated Galactus I don't see anything less the devourer of worlds putting it down. My bet is that Odin will be made to see reason, or will back down rather than see Freya or Thor hit with the power of Ultimate Disintegration.

P.S. - am I the only one who can hear Clark Gregg's voice in his head whenever Coulson is talking?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Certainly before Thor #8 ends, I would like to see Don Blake return as the final curtain falls on Thor. Don and Jane have been there most of the time of the Thor story, as the human side of Thor. If you look at the story of the fictitious Don Blake, (created by Odin only as a frail, harbour for his son), Jane could also be a construct put there like Don Blake? Both Don and Jane are like ghosts of Odins lesson of humility. Or, if made to be real humans, then Don and Jane, two mundane practitioners who wanted to lead obscure lives, have been haunted by a ferocious God. And if Jane is a partner to this Thor being, from her connection to Don Blake, Jane also captures Thors essence. There is a lot to think about regarding the Thor story now that it comes to an end.
    I am pretty sure the writers won't follow that path again. Blake was a path that didn't really work and got hand waved. If you think about it too much it doesn’t even work after the hand waving, its like a weird messianic story where the hammer becomes the cross and the self-sacrifice is thrown away in favour of wish fulfilment. Marvel ended up pushing the whole thing to one side and forgetting about it, instead pushing onwards towards a mashed up Norse mythology.

Now Jason Aaron may be subtly ret-conning the whole deal with the Hammer and rejigging what is and isn't cannon. He may be using his time with Thor to re-examine all of the continuity and straighten it out for the next phase of marvel comics post Secret Wars because going back to Thor with an alter-ego is directly addressing the whole idea of Blake and who he was. Why prod at the wound unless you want to heal it.

Also by choosing Jane to be Thor he could force us to recognise that the Blake/Foster relationship was both real and in many ways unequal and complex. There is baggage there and that could equal drama.

Certainly before Thor #8 ends, I would like to see Don Blake return as the final curtain falls on Thor. Don and Jane have been there most of the time of the Thor story, as the human side of Thor.
    Maybe JA should write a “Whatever Happened to the Man of Asgard?” Alan Moore pastiche in the next Thor annual. With Blake winking at us as he closes the door on his happy home. Where a small child picks up the hammer and shakes it like a rattle.

Aside:
    There has always been an inherent unfairness with the super heroes that lie to their girlfriends and spouses. Back in the day the convoluted plots that Superman got into were played for farce. Stan Lee tend to play the whole deal as a dramatic obstacle to love with lots of wistful word balloons and unrequited feelings. None of that ever fully resolved the inherent problem of a relationship where the guy gets to go off and do his super-secret all-powerful job while the girl wonders what he is up to, gets suspicious and schemes to find out.

Another strange hang up is the idea that if you marry off a super hero that somehow ends their story. While this would be true in dramatic fiction about relationships, super-hero comics are not part of the dramatic or romance genre. I think this is a hang-up from the days of romance comics. Marvel got its foothold with romance and many of the early days of the Marvel Universe felt like romance comics.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-17-2015 at 02:33 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Why prod at the wound unless you want to heal it.
    And suddenly I may have stumbled on the whole solution to the Unworthy plot.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Why prod at the wound unless you want to heal it.
    I'm sure certain posters would argue: because Aaron and the feminist overlords (overladies?) to whom he panders are masochists who love to see Thor and his fans suffer lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shgs View Post
    I'm sure certain posters would argue: because Aaron and the feminist overlords (overladies?) to whom he panders are masochists who love to see Thor and his fans suffer lol.
    Well they may, but they would be demonstrably wrong. Although if my unspoken theory holds true fans will be put through a wringer and left limp at the other-side. Just like Odinson right now I guess. But huge overarching speculation doesn't really belong in an issue review thread, even with a spoiler tag.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-17-2015 at 04:52 AM.

I don't think Jason Aaron gives a fig about canon and the old history of Thor comics. Sure, he throws a fan service bone here and there- "Roz." He's all about his own brand...and I mean that in the Austin Powers way.

Can't stand the guy's writing. Why? Because for all the nice flourishes he does sometimes bring, he brings equally lazy writing into the saga; most obviously, he writes Odin as a complete buffoon. He is the All-Father. Odin has had much more going on in his existence that we have seen..and I go all the way back to Lee/Kirby...and if his actions seemed curious, there always seemed to be some greater reason for his doings...unknowable, in the way Yahweh is unknowable. Odin was truly God-like.

Because he has destroyed Thor I knew. Because giving him an axe and an uru arm- I mean, didn't I see something like this in Aquaman some years ago? Sorry.

I don't mind the new GRRL in town, she has her moments and IS worthy as written thus far...fairly epic stuff in number 7. I will even give Aaron credit here: the way the Shakespearean Thor-speak goes in and out in her remarks to the Destroyer...is "Thor" taking over her persona a little to much...or is this just her playing around with the whole Thor-Speak thing...it was effective. But to a more core and canonical issue: I just can't accept as viable the whole whisper in the ear that made Thor no longer worthy of the hammer. Whatever that was, and it has not been revealed as yet, it just seems to me completely illogical. How could an action or event in Thor's past or future affect his "worthiness" only when it is revealed or remembered? So Thor was walking around "all worthy" until he became cognizant of something horrible enough about himself that made him unworthy to hold and use the hammer...that defies logic and credibility and is peculiar metaphysics to say the least. (Besides, Thor was Thor long before Mjolnir was bestowed upon him. Being THE Thor, naturally, he would hold the power of Thor.)

Can't stand the writer's attitude. Why? Because he took some kid to task publicly in the letters page of Issue #6 for disagreeing with his take on Thor. Reprehensible and unprofessional.

Can't stand the writer's ego. Why? Because Aaron keeps on saying, disingenuously, that he is "still writing the same Thor he has always been writing."

Not a fan. Because if the new Thor is someone with a personal vendetta against Roxxon, creating a mushroom cloud explosion to stop the Destroyer- that's clearly a nuclear bomb..filled with RADIATION...well, not exactly the most eco-friendly way to finish a fight. Sort of ironic, no?

Hey, I get it. It's selling books. And it is bleeding across into other titles. too. Odin gets smacked across the chops by Frigga. Black Bolt gets his face bashed bloody into the ground by (a peculiarly pupil-less, but that's another gripe) Medusa. (Medusa and Black Bolt--probably the sexiest, most loving couple in all of comics brought to this?) The most powerful males in Marvel are being knocked round by the most powerful females...it's ridiculous...women of strength do not act like vengeful boys.

But back to Thor...this may be an uptick in sales and marketing and publicity for Thor comics, but it is the nadir of creativity for that Asgardian world. I mean...Marvel had to go out and buy their Asgardian Assassin from another company or creator- they could not create one themselves???

Ridiculous.

The guy has the keys to the kingdom right now. But...I am waiting for a whisper, too.
    Some higher up saying to Aaron "You're off Thor."
    Last edited by Odin's Beard; 04-17-2015 at 11:58 AM. Reason: clarifications