Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well they may, but they would be demonstrably wrong. Although if my unspoken theory holds true fans will be put through a wringer and left limp at the other-side. Just like Odinson right now I guess. But huge overarching speculation doesn't really belong in an issue review thread, even with a spoiler tag.
    OK, fair enough. What thread should that go too? Can't seem to find one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin's Beard View Post
    Not a fan. Because if the new Thor is someone with a personal vendetta against Roxxon, creating a mushroom cloud explosion to stop the Destroyer- that's clearly a nuclear bomb..filled with RADIATION...well, not exactly the most eco-friendly way to finish a fight. Sort of ironic, no?
    A mushroom cloud is a distinctive pyrocumulus mushroom-shaped cloud of debris/smoke and usually condensed water vapor resulting from a large explosion. They are most commonly associated with nuclear explosions, but any sufficiently energetic detonation or deflagration will produce the same sort of effect.
    Wikipedia

Whatever that was, and it has not been revealed as yet, it just seems to me completely illogical.
    So this thing that you admit you know nothing about is illogical? I'm not sure it's Aaron's logic that is at fault here.

The guy has the keys to the kingdom right now. But...I am waiting for a whisper, too.
    Some higher up saying to Aaron "You're off Thor."
    Sounds quite a bit like the gripes during the Azzarello Wonder Woman run. Here's the thing -

If you want your old character, you can walk into any store and buy a TPB right now.

Ok so let's put it this way for the nay-sayers that think Aaron is just playing at writing Thor. I think he is about to readdress the biggest most annoying change in the Thor cannon. That sore spot that surely all Thor fans of any standing would know needs sorting out. The Roy Thomas retcon. So if you want the old Thor back you may be getting your wish in a way that you may not have anticipated.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

So, I've got some questions/comments;
    1) Did i see Thor shoot some kind of energy from her hands? I thought S/he could only do that with the hammer!
    2) It's looking more likely that Roz Solomon is Thor, so part of the enchantment is that Thor is always a blonde?
    3)I thought Coulson was the only SHIELD agent to have a red flying car- unless Roz borrowed it.
    4) I'm not sure how i feel about the New Thor being an environmental crusader.
    5) Next issue looks like it will be good- am i seeing two valkyries? Could we do something with the extra one?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So, I've got some questions/comments;
    1) Did i see Thor shoot some kind of energy from her hands? I thought S/he could only do that with the hammer!
    2) It's looking more likely that Roz Solomon is Thor, so part of the enchantment is that Thor is always a blonde?
    3)I thought Coulson was the only SHIELD agent to have a red flying car- unless Roz borrowed it.
    4) I'm not sure how i feel about the New Thor being an environmental crusader.
    5) Next issue looks like it will be good- am i seeing two valkyries? Could we do something with the extra one?
    1) Yup. I took that to be Mjolnir bestowing powers on her from a distance, the same way she doesn't stop being Thor the second she throws the hammer. But definitely also got the impression that we would get more details about her powers at a later date. It's clear she's still working them out.
    2) This has happened before with Thordis. And I think someone said Eric Masterson's hairstyle changed (though not the colour).
    3) Roz has had one for some time. The implication is they have several (in the comics). Black Widow, Spider Woman and Hawkeye use one in Secret Avengers as well.
    4) Why, I'm curious? They already did it with Ult Thor - not sure how well that version went down. Seems like an appropriate cause for someone who has taken over the role of Gaea's son.
    5) The big one is Hildegarde I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I am pretty sure the writers won't follow that path again. Blake was a path that didn't really work and got hand waved. If you think about it too much it doesn’t even work after the hand waving, its like a weird messianic story where the hammer becomes the cross and the self-sacrifice is thrown away in favour of wish fulfilment. Marvel ended up pushing the whole thing to one side and forgetting about it, instead pushing onwards towards a mashed up Norse mythology.

Now Jason Aaron may be subtly ret-conning the whole deal with the Hammer and rejigging what is and isn't cannon. He may be using his time with Thor to re-examine all of the continuity and straighten it out for the next phase of marvel comics post Secret Wars because going back to Thor with an alter-ego is directly addressing the whole idea of Blake and who he was. Why prod at the wound unless you want to heal it.

Also by choosing Jane to be Thor he could force us to recognise that the Blake/Foster relationship was both real and in many ways unequal and complex. There is baggage there and that could equal drama.

Maybe JA should write a “Whatever Happened to the Man of Asgard?” Alan Moore pastiche in the next Thor annual. With Blake winking at us as he closes the door on his happy home. Where a small child picks up the hammer and shakes it like a rattle.

Aside:
    There has always been an inherent unfairness with the super heroes that lie to their girlfriends and spouses. Back in the day the convoluted plots that Superman got into were played for farce. Stan Lee tend to play the whole deal as a dramatic obstacle to love with lots of wistful word balloons and unrequited feelings. None of that ever fully resolved the inherent problem of a relationship where the guy gets to go off and do his super-secret all-powerful job while the girl wonders what he is up to, gets suspicious and schemes to find out.

Another strange hang up is the idea that if you marry off a super hero that somehow ends their story. While this would be true in dramatic fiction about relationships, super-hero comics are not part of the dramatic or romance genre. I think this is a hang-up from the days of romance comics. Marvel got its foothold with romance and many of the early days of the Marvel Universe felt like romance comics.
    I don't look at Don Blake and Thor as some symbolism. I see them riffing off each other. Thor is the brash arrogance of a God, and Don Blake is the humility of the humanity Thor should be if his mother is the Earth. Thor is right to keep Don Blake in front of him to remind Thor of responsibility, instead of go into a cave, get defeated by the God Killer, and go behind his fathers wiser counsel and set the world on a course to Destruction by angering the God killer. (I wonder what would have happened if Thor took his fathers advice and didn't get the magic axe, but just sat in Asgard? Would the God killer have come straight to Asgard and killed Odin and everyone else, instead of wait 1500 years to come after Asgard again. Maybe Odins conservatism was wrong?). Don Blake, to me, was the sobering side to a Thor who was too much of a teenager. Thor could have been a true Frankenstein's rage monster, but Thor embraced his human side and that made him a better person.

Jane Foster being a love interest may have been awkward, but like you I noticed the amalgam that was the early Marvel formula of Romance, Western and Scifi for super hero comics. I don't think Romance elements in super hero comics were "not part of super hero comics. Romance elements fit quite well. They may have ended up very grubby, as in the Spiderman/MJ example, but involving heroes in romantic situations put a very human element into the stories. Not all relationships end happily ever after. Look at Jessica Drews experiences, so I'm okay that Thor and Jane Foster ended up just friends. I think the whole point Odin wanted to demonstrate to Thor is, stop being an a**, learn with human feeling through Don Blakes infatuation with Jane, to relate to Asgardian court like a sane person.
    Last edited by jackolover; 04-23-2015 at 05:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Sounds quite a bit like the gripes during the Azzarello Wonder Woman run. Here's the thing -

If you want your old character, you can walk into any store and buy a TPB right now.
    That's a bit like saying if I don't like how the Bruins did this year I can go watch tapes of the year they won the Stanley Cup.