Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Who should play Queen Hippolyta In A Live Action Movie?

Who should play Queen Hippolyta In A Live Action Movie?
    Should she have blonde or black hair in the movie?

Who should play her voice in an animated version?
    Should she have black or blonde hair in that carton?

Lynda Carter, I mean it would be great to see her as Diana's mother. I like to see her black, never really liked blond Hippoltya. The only blond Hippoltya for some reason would be the Bruce Timm verison. I would lik eto see the same lady who voiced her in the 2009 movie

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

On a strictly symbolic level, Lynda Carter would be perfect. It would be so great to see Lynda basically passing the Wonder Woman torch to Gal. And Lynda still looks gorgeous, so the whole "ageless Amazon Queen" thing is easy for her to pull off.

If not Lynda, then I'm fairly open as to who should play her. I personally prefer Hippolyta to have black hair. That was how I first met her. It wasn't until much later that I learned she was originally blonde. I prefer black because I just love the idea that Diana and Hippolyta are unmistakably related. Any idiot should be able to glance at those two and tell they're family.

I agree with Ami about her voice actress. I think Hippolyta's voice was perfect in the animated movie.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Lynda Carter or Lucy Lawless, IMO.

Island of Ageless Immortal Amazons. As beautiful as Lynda still is and always will be, I want somebody closer in age to Gal, and the other Amazons that we will see. I say Lena Headey would be perfect, and her and Gal favor so it would be believable somewhat that they are Mother and Daughter.
    Richard Alexander

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Kate Winslet.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Angelina Jolie.

BANNED

Depends.

Are we talking about the blonde that didn't really do a whole lot except ruling?
    Or the brunette that ran with the JSA?
    Or the one from a more primitive version of the Amazons, who had a thing on the side with Zeus?

Either way, none of them should look over 30 because of the whole immortal Amazons thing.

Spectacular Member

Since they're reportedly doing the Zeus As Father origin*, and the director is Patty Jenkins, how about Charlize Theron? She's got the chops, she's a "mature" woman, but still looks great, and from the Mad Max trailers, she can handle playing a fierce leader of women pretty well.

*please, let's not get into that here

Depends on the route they take to portray the Amazons, but it'd be interesting if they all were between the ages of 25-35 with the whole Amazon immortality and more powerful than the average human quality Perez gave them. For Hippolyta, the trick is finding a young actress that can portray a wisdom beyond her years when it comes to being a leader and mother to Diana being the youngest of all the Amazons.

Regardless, I hope they go with a Paradise Island that's more advanced than Man's World. There's room for conflict between the Amazons, without limiting them to being an archaic people who haven't advanced since the Bronze Age. I'm more interested and invested in acting ability and presence than the color of her hair. (Not that there's anything wrong about being interested in the way they design the character.)
    Last edited by WonderScott; 05-05-2015 at 01:44 PM.

BANNED

I'd be perfectly fine with someone unknown getting the part, I'd prefer her blond but brunette is fine.
    My main criteria to consider the casting good, is that Hippolyta ends up feeling wiser than her looks suggest, like Galadriel did in LotR. And that she has the physical presence that wont leave you in doubt that she can make herself heard and noticed on an ancient battlefield ala Leonidas out of 300 (rather than the dispassionate form of leadership of Artemisia from the second movie).

Carter might have the timeless face to pull off the wisdom part, but I don't see her as a general or capable of wielding a sword when I look at her. I'd think she'd be a spot on choice if they choose to go Marston's way of explaining why Diana often goes by Prince as a last name. (Incase this isn't known; Diana took it from/after cheering up a nurse, that 'nurse' could have been Carter... but she appears uninterested in cameo parts.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    On a strictly symbolic level, Lynda Carter would be perfect. It would be so great to see Lynda basically passing the Wonder Woman torch to Gal. And Lynda still looks gorgeous, so the whole "ageless Amazon Queen" thing is easy for her to pull off.

If not Lynda, then I'm fairly open as to who should play her. I personally prefer Hippolyta to have black hair. That was how I first met her. It wasn't until much later that I learned she was originally blonde. I prefer black because I just love the idea that Diana and Hippolyta are unmistakably related. Any idiot should be able to glance at those two and tell they're family.

I agree with Ami about her voice actress. I think Hippolyta's voice was perfect in the animated movie.
    She was originally brunette (in the Golden Age) and was blond in the SIlver Age... then we get brunette again post Crisis and blond Nu52.....

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    She was originally brunette (in the Golden Age) and was blond in the SIlver Age... then we get brunette again post Crisis and blond Nu52.....
    Oh! I didn't know that.

Cool with me, then. That means that "my" Hippolyta is closer to what Marston originally conceived.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Polly at times would go back and forth of brunette and black at times but Diana and Polly do look similar.They due have a similar hair color. Early issues that I have read so far only has one of Polly being the same color as her daughter

Incredible Member

Sure, A Jolie can play the queen if we need a psycho in real life and on screen!

Laura Prepon or maybe Alana de la Garza both with dark hair

What about Louise Bourgoin?

She 5 11 in height'
    age 33
    and have that European stylish and different thing going on

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Angelina Jolie.

Last edited by gwhh; 04-27-2015 at 09:16 AM.