Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Convergence: Supergirl: Matrix, #1

"Convergence: Supergirl: Matrix" #1 lets Keith Giffen and Timothy Green II put a slightly absurd spin on the entire "Convergence" event, and this irreverence is exactly what readers needed.

Full review here.

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Can someone enlighten me on something here, please? I wasn't reading the Superman books much in this era the first time around but what little I did read that featured Matrix and Lex II never came across as him being so hateful and hurtful, but rather being at least superficially caring towards her like during Doomsday and the following stories. He was never what I'd call selflessly loving her, but I don't recall the berating and all of that stuff like here. Was that a thing for a while?

No, he was never like this. I mean, all along he was using her, and his proclamations of love were bunk, but he never had any hidden, true contempt for her. And he didn't really have time to develop any once she figured out his schemes and turned on him, as during that whole event, Lex caught the clone sickness and his body broke down turning him into a vegetable for a year or more till he was cured by Neron.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-16-2015 at 01:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Charles J. Baserap View Post
    Can someone enlighten me on something here, please? I wasn't reading the Superman books much in this era the first time around but what little I did read that featured Matrix and Lex II never came across as him being so hateful and hurtful, but rather being at least superficially caring towards her like during Doomsday and the following stories. He was never what I'd call selflessly loving her, but I don't recall the berating and all of that stuff like here. Was that a thing for a while?
    Probably just something brought on by life under the dome. We've seen how it has eroded the psyche of other characters so far across the minis.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Waiting to Take Over... Charles J. Baserap's Avatar

Thank you, Sacred Knight and GDC3.

It just seemed so jarring to me given what little I'd read of the era in those books. Anytime, Lex II had a snide comment or whatever, it would be under his breath or in his head and he was just so overly cruel in this issue and Matrix so Stepford passive that it took me out of the story for those scenes.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

This issue feels like a bit of Satire of that era of Supergirl. It was amusing, but totally not pre zh metropolis. By that time the downtown area was a ruin and Lex was a withered vegetable. Plus, as others are pointing out, this Lex is OOC for Lex II. This reads more like Pre-Crisis Lex almost. Also Matrix/Supergirl was never that airheaded.

They are definitely playing fast and loose with the "Pre-Zero" hour moniker, especially considering that Metropolis was recovering from the events of FALL OF METROPOLIS as Zero Hour erased the universe. This is more accurately "Pre-Battle for Metropolis" Metropolis.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-17-2015 at 03:43 PM.

BANNED

I really had a problem with how lex treated matrix here,borderline pissed me off,hhopefully she throws him into the sun next issue

BANNED

Yeah Lex and MS were written way out of character. I knew when I read "Giffen" I had something to worry about.

This easily had the potential to be the funnest book of the group, it was still OK for goofery. But wasnt exactly true to its roots.

Yeah, as a fan Giffen, and this era of Superman comics, Lex being so out of character seriously threw me.

Also, I thought Lord Volt died in CRISIS, with only Lady Quark surviving. They rebooted him?
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 04-24-2015 at 05:29 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I'm a bit behind, so I just read this book last night. Considering it's Giffen writing my favorite version of Supergirl, set during my favorite Superman era, I should have loved it.

Sadly, I did not.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I'm a bit behind, so I just read this book last night. Considering it's Giffen writing my favorite version of Supergirl, set during my favorite Superman era, I should have loved it.

Sadly, I did not.
    Agreed, coulda, shoulda been good. But it wound up being a thin, flimsy story. Not much to it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Yeah, as a fan Giffen, and this era of Superman comics, Lex being so out of character seriously threw me.

Also, I thought Lord Volt died in CRISIS, with only Lady Quark surviving. They rebooted him?
    Brainiac somehow got all Pre-Crisis characters from some time before Crisis itself starts, not only right before the fusion of Earths. It's not really clear what's the specific point and how it fits with other reality changes. It's like how Pre-Crisis Supergirl is alive in Adventures of Superman, or Pre-Crisis Flash/Barry being alive in Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonZ View Post
    Brainiac somehow got all Pre-Crisis characters from some time before Crisis itself starts, not only right before the fusion of Earths. It's not really clear what's the specific point and how it fits with other reality changes. It's like how Pre-Crisis Supergirl is alive in Adventures of Superman, or Pre-Crisis Flash/Barry being alive in Flash.
    Right, but the Pre-Crisis stuff is happening this week. (Convergence 3) This issue came out last week. (Convergence 2) So this book should have had only Zero Hour characters. That's why it had Matrix and Lex Luthor "Jr."